velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So I'm building a Super Pista (going to order a 2012 frameset: http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/fixed-gear/super-pista-frameset/) that I'm going to use for road races and other fun, non-day to day things.

I've already scoped out a lot of the components I want to use, but I really need recommendations for a stem. I've been looking at Moots, which I have no experience with but seem pretty decent. http://moots.com/our-bike/components/open-road-stems/open-road-stem/

Anyone have any recos for this kind of frame? I'd prefer something black/anodized with a good reputation.

EDIT: I'm not competing in official road races and I know this is a track bike, I'm just looking for a component recommendation.
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012

3T
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012 edited

Posted By: tracking_computer for road races and other fun, non-day to day things.

Like alleycats or what? You can't do road races on a track bike...

I'd recommend a ritchey or a Thomson
    Are you looking at an all italian build? Then like chku recommends 3T or Cinelli ,Deda, Modolo
    I can't imagine the Bianchi imported doesn't offer something in celeste and badged as Bianchi.
    But going back to the OP - how much bicycle related experience do you have in general?
    This is NOT a road race bike. So you either consider anything not done on a velodrome as "road racing" or someone is blowing smoke up your skirt.
    Posted By: Haegan

Alleycats and other unofficial shit, bombing around, essentially a lot of things I do with my current track bike minus commuting. Weekender, if you will.

Those Ritchey stems are looking awesome, and a lot cheaper than I envisioned. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted By: Socal3rensho
    But going back to the OP - how much bicycle related experience do you have in general?

Heh, thanks for the concern, but I'm not doing official road races and I'm well aware that this is a track bike.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Posted By: tracking_computer

Alleycats and other unofficial shit, bombing around, essentially a lot of things I do with my current track bike minus commuting. Weekender, if you will.

Those Ritchey stems are looking awesome, and a lot cheaper than I envisioned. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted By: Socal3rensho

Heh, thanks for the concern, but I'm not doing official road races and I'm well aware that this is a track bike.

FTFY

FTFY

Touche, thanks.
    Posted By: tracking_computerI've already scoped out a lot of the components I want to use, but I really need recommendations for a stem. I've been looking at Moots, which I have no experience with but seem pretty decent.http://moots.com/our-bike/components/open-road-stems/open-road-stem/

$300 + is excessive for a stem. Money could be spent better elsewhere.
    Thomson
    or
    FSA OS-99

The FSA stem is ultra light at the price

Thomson because Thomson
    You dont need a $500 stem to go on your "road race bike" Just get matching stem and seatpost. You cant go wrong with Thomson, 3TTT, FSA, Ritchey, Deda parts they are all good stuff just pick one that fits your build.
    • CommentAuthorLandon Lee

The moots stem is probably worth every penny. Think how light it most likely is and all the street cred you get by that little tiny sticker with one word on it.
    And its not like some douche couldn't have it in his pack in about 10.5 seconds while your having a coffee!

It looks completely different from every other stem out there too! Never seen ANYTHING like it.
    Such helpful advice.
    • CommentAuthorNash

Thomson +1
    Another vote for Thomson. The only problem I had with mine is the bars slipped while riding in the drops and I went over a big bump. This was completely my fault and I should have used a torque wrench from the beginning.
    What bars are you running? Aluminum or carbon? (This is going somewhere I swear).
    • CommentAuthoradrian13346
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012 edited

That moots stem is heavier than a thomson. Its also technically less durable since its welded titanium and not machined from one piece of high grade 7000 series aluminium like a thomson is.
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012 edited

And the Deda Servizio Corse is lighter than any option Ive seen at 107 g . While being much prettier.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.