velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hi,

I recently bought, from what seems, an 80's production OLMO complete with Galli Gruppo. Yes, the previous owner had replaced the Campy components & made it all Galli!

It seems to have been well taken care of & was restored to age and vintage of it's time. The paint is a pearlescent white and decals are all original and in excellent condition. Frame has an engraved chromed fork crown and driveside chainstay. Bicycle has less than 700 miles.

I don't know much about bikes, forget about vintage. I'm including excerpts from some of our e-mail communications:

Galli gruppo: Headset, BB, Crankset 170mm 52/42, hubset, brake calipers, brake levers (hoods are dia-compe), front and rear deraileurs (new), braze on shifters (new) drilled and fluted seatpost (single bolt, new).
    Wheel set: Ambrosio Synthesis tubular rims with Galli sealed bearing hubs (built up new)
    Tires: Gommaitalia glued (new)
    Freewheel: Regina CX 13-21
    Handlebars: Cinelli Champion de Mundo 64-44
    Stem: Cinelli XA 120mm with a Concor Superleggera saddle(alloy rails)

Now, here's the big question...
    From the description above, what should be the bike worth?
    How are vintage Olmo compared to say Peugeot or Colnago of '80s?
    Is having all Galli component is a bad thing? How do they compare to Campy NR/SR?
    Should I replace it with Campy to have a better ride?
    What type of pedals should I go for considering the genre of the bike? From where?

Kindly advise.

Thank you!
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008

It's like trading a Lamborghini for an Alfa-Romeo. They're both nice to drive but one is more valuable.
    I've got a set of Galli hubs on some Wolber tubular wheels and they are great. If anything, the Galli gear is nice because it is not common, but in terms of resale, I don't know, Campy sells. As far as what it's worth, no idea, depends largely on the frame size - a 57cm is going to be worth way more than a 63cm. How about some pix?
    I had a 52cm 1981 high end all original Olmo with a custom pantographed (sp?) NR group and lots of etching and Italian colors on just about every part on the bike including the seatpost and stem. The market value was 1200-1500 bucks. ( I wish i had kept it-- it was to small for me) I have seen a few other 80s Olmos on craigslist that have been offered for over 1000 bucks and have sold. Olmo made alot of bikes over a wide price range. This sounds like a high end frame that is in near new condition so it all depends on how "fancy" they got with artwork. To a collector it is likely worth more with the original Campagnolo group on it. Keep looking for a similar bike on Ebay and craigslist to get a current market reading.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009

Dude, I just fucked my screen from excitement. What a nice bike. Hang on to that one.
    • CommentAuthormarcel
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011

BEAUTIFULL BIKE
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011

wait wait, is that the reason you bumped a 3 year old thread? to say nice bike?
    • CommentAuthormarcel
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

COMPARE TO PEUGEOT OR COLNAGO YOU CAN SAY THAT THE OLMO BIKES WERE JUST AS GOOD AS THE COLNAGO.
    ONLY YEAH COLNAGO THE BRAND IS MORE EXPENSIVE. I THINK IT HAS SOME VALUE. iBOUGHT MINE 5years ago> AND ONLY SELL IT FOR A GOOD PRICE HIHHIHI
    • CommentAuthormarcel

NOPE GALI IS BEAUTIFULL BLING BLING
    Your kid, Peter?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Jebus christ
    Yeah. Twice.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsYour kid, Peter?

no, just a random lad. my boys are a lot older (21 and nearly 17). sometimes i wish they could be that cute again, but then i think, yeah, no.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.