velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I have a serious infatuation with track bikes from the 90s (ya I realize 50 million other people do to). Cannondales, Colnagos, all these frames from the 90s just look right to me. The simple lines of the frames and if you can get one with the sloping top bar, so hot. Anyways, my question is, what happens to all the track frames that have been used in the states? I see all these websites selling Kierin frames from Japan. But Where can a I get a classic American Track frame from the 90's? I mean there has got to be tons of these things floating around. Does anybody know where the frames go after there retired? Kierin frames are hot, and dont get me wrong, if I could get my hands on a Colnago Dream Pista, Id trade one of my nuts for it, but I live in in the states, and it would just seem like the American frames would be easy to get. But where?
    I would say that they stayed in the families for awhile and are now in some random garage, pole-barn, bike shop basement, etc. The keirin frames that are in endless stock over in Japan are used in current races, so they are just current frames. The ones you are looking are classic/vintage frames that were in service 10 years ago.

I'll put it like this...

Keirin frames are the walmart bikes, easy to get and you know exactly where to go to get one.

90's American track bikes are the antique shop bikes, you have to travel around and search for awhile to find what you want.
    Also can be found in local velodromes as rental bikes. My local track has a few GTB's that are fully stock looks brand new as rentals
    Yamaguchi told me while I was in his school that the track frames used by racers from the USA go into the Cycling Federation's storage. When it is time to clean house the bikes are returned to the builders or athletes and then it is up to them to dispose of the frames. They are technically not allowed to sell them since the Cycling Federation is a non-profit organization but some still do.
    • CommentAuthormanbeard
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012

Craigslist
    • CommentAuthorscmalex

Since San Diego has a velodrome, I always see gems pop up on craigslist, but for some reason these gems are from the 70's-80's or 2000's-on. 90's bikes in general are my favorite mainly because that is the last era before the standardization of carbon fiber everything.

If you live in a city with a velodrome, just scan CL and in time it will come. Remember that "fixies" weren't popular in the 90's, so looking for a 90's track bike in a city without a track is going to be difficult.

My favorite track bike ever is the Marin Shaklee made by Billato. So hawt and so rare. I missed my opportunity to get one and I hate myself for it.
    • CommentAuthorefleigh89

a colnago is not an american frame. in the 90's, it was an italian frame. today, it is a taiwan frame.
    • CommentAuthorefleigh89

and scmalex if youre referring to the marin that was on ebay a few months ago, that was total bullshit. those two douchbags that were selling that thing had wrecked the shit out of it, and remember, once aluminum is dented, its done.
    • CommentAuthorscmalex

Posted By: efleigh89and scmalex if youre referring to the marin that was on ebay a few months ago, that was total bullshit. those two douchbags that were selling that thing had wrecked the shit out of it, and remember, once aluminum is dented, its done.

yup, thats the one.
    the whole reason i didnt buy it was the dents, but i wanted it so bad!
    Posted By: efleigh89a colnago is not an american frame. in the 90's, it was an italian frame. today, it is a taiwan frame.

I guess what I meant to say was that Im looking for 90s track frames or bikes that were "raced or used" in the states. I would love a Colnago. It doesnt have to be a frame that was made in America or an Amercan company. I just wonder what happens to all the track bikes here when there retired. I check craigslist all the time. So do a lot of my friends. When a bike comes up, we see it. We have a velodrome in Seattle. there just isnt very many track bikes that come up (or atleast "real" track bikes). Ebay also doesnt have them very often. it just seems like there has got to be a lot out there. looks like I gotta do some barn searching........All of this info has been really good though. Keep it comin
    • CommentAuthormanbeard

I just bought a 90's US Olympic Team track bike from Seattle off of craigslist. They are there. You just have to type in a lot of different search words as there really isn't a standardization for listing, so your Colnago Track Bike might be listed under "Vintage Colnago fixie".
    Posted By: manbeardI just bought a 90's US Olympic Team track bike from Seattle off of craigslist. They are there. You just have to type in a lot of different search words as there really isn't a standardization for listing, so your Colnago Track Bike might be listed under "Vintage Colnago fixie".

Oh man, that sounds too cool. An Olympic team bike. Ya, I just dont ever want to type "fixie" but shit, I guess maybe I should haha
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012 edited

Posted By: efleigh89a colnago is not an american frame. in the 90's, it was an italian frame. today, it is an italian designed produced by Giant frame.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Haegan
    Posted By: efleigh89a colnago is not an american frame. in the 90's, it was an italian frame. today, it is anitalian designed produced by Giant frame.

details details...
    • CommentAuthorefleigh89

Posted By: Haegan
    Posted By: efleigh89a colnago is not an american frame. in the 90's, it was an italian frame. today, it is anitalian designed produced by Giant frame.

doesnt mean it wasnt made in taiwan....
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Oh no it was still made in Taiwan, not there is anything wrong with that. Just saying its not the sane as some of the cheap eBay carbon out there.
    • CommentAuthorefleigh89
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012

i must say, it is not. however, some of that ebay carbon is the same as the name brand stuff coming out, or at least the in shop brands like focus etc... are.
    I thought the bay stuff was just blemished or slightly defective stock from major companies.
    Nope!
    Its the same without the premium price for a "name" some of it was short runs, some is contract builds, and the shipping cost and time is a bargain as well.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.