velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey all,
    I acquired a good deal of loot from the Cupertino Swap meet and now I feel like building the GT up differently.

This is my current setup:
    Wheels: Miche Primato to FiR Net 97
    Tires: old Avocet gumwall crit tires
    Crankset: 165mm SG75's with 49t Sugino Mighty Compe track chainring
    Bars: 44cm Mavic Road drops ($40 with Pearl @ swap)
    Stem: Pearl 11
    Seatpost: Campy Aero ($40 @ swap)
    Seat: '97 Titanium Rolls ($10 @ swap)
    Pedals: GR-9's with Cadence double straps and single-gate metal cages
    Fork: Stock GT

This is the setup I'm hoping to upgrade to:
    Wheels: Dura-Ace 7600 (bought for $170 @ swap) to hard anodized H+Son TB14's with silver spokes
    Tires: same old Avocet gumwalls
    Crankset: 175mm (getting sick of 165's..) SG75's with the same 49t chainring
    Bars: Same Mavic's
    Stem: Thinking about getting a longer Pearl, maybe a 120mm or 130mm
    Seatpost: Either my Campy Aero or American Classic
    Seat: '94 Titanium Rolls (this one's in nicer shape than my '97) or '88 Titanium Flite ($5 @ swap) or my stripped Concor ($5 @ swap)
    Pedals: Old yellow Time Atac MTB clipless pedals (I really want to try out a clipless setup and I've heard good things about the old Time's)
    Fork: This is a tough one! I've been considering getting either a 35mm-rake (maybe 40mm, not sure) threaded Wound-Up or getting a low-rake flat-crown fork made from Bernie Mikkelsen, whose shop I still need to visit.

Any input about the build would be much appreciated! I'm really on the fence about the fork, so any advice on that would be very helpful.

here's what it looks like now:
    • CommentAuthoradrian13346
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012 edited

Honestly I think this build looks perfect already. The only thing I dont like about it is the wheels. Machined sidewalls/black rims with gumwalls looks kind of weird. Oh and is that flite you mentioned in good condition? If it is I'll trade you for a Fizik Arione. I've been trying to get rid of this thing since november, it does not like my butt!
    • CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012

My Pista can beat up your GTB...

Btw, I think you should go with silver TB14s.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

I still think hard ano tb 14s as you stated will look even better than silver. Remember that GTBs were designed to take a 40-41mm rake fork, so handling with a 35mm might be a little off. I honestly think you should stick with the stock fork. wound ups are too expensive. Excited to see these changes!
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Hard ano TB14's for sure.
    I think those are all worthy upgrades, but I don't think you need a new fork
    • CommentAuthorChris V

The stock forks looks good. I am not a BIG fan of wound ups. Don't kill me for saying that.

Good job hogging all the good stuff at the swap... haha. ;P
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Well, I'm running my GTB with 35mm Wound-up, I love it! and it's true, you prolly won't notice the difference that much (unless you're running a 70mm stem like me :P in which case, I do notice it)
    Here it is with the Flite, Kalloy seatpost (not going on final build) and taped bars. These are the second bars I've ever taped and I'd say they look pretty good, especially since that Fizik tape has been used for about half a year :) And I do like polished rims, but I've got my Shamals and Cosmic to keep me satisfied in the shiny bits category. So yeah, I think I'll go with hard ano. And I think that if I do swap forks, it won't be for a while. But I do just love the way Wound-Ups look on GT's with quill stems.
    Posted By: adrian13346 Oh and is that flite you mentioned in good condition? If it is I'll trade you for a Fizik Arione. I've been trying to get rid of this thing since november, it does not like my butt!
    I'll definitely think about it. I have been meaning to try out the Arione and I don't exactly need 3 Flites :)
    Also, where do you buy 36h hard ano TB14's?
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Reused Fizik tape?? does it still restick? or no? I have some Fizik tape I'd Like to reuse if possible
    • CommentAuthorChris V

I'll take one of those flites...
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: SillyGooseCookieAlso, where do you buy 36h hard ano TB14's?

Check out their website, they sell direct:

http://shop.hplusson.com/product/tb14
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac

looks like a pretty sweet set up already ha
    Posted By: ShakuReused Fizik tape?? does it still restick? or no? I have some Fizik tape I'd Like to reuse if possible
    It sticks just fine!

Posted By: Shaku

Awesome! Shipping's a little pricey though >.>
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Try to find a seller in the US. Tsu Tzing (as always, I forget his name so this is probably wrong) is a great guy to deal with and ships quick, but you can save over 50 dollars ordering them from a retailer in the states. A bunch of places started selling them for about 50-60, will see if I can remember where. Drilling options might be more limited, but check before ordering
    Posted By: Mancha150

Try to find a seller in the US. Tsu Tzing (as always, I forget his name so this is probably wrong) is a great guy to deal with and ships quick, but you can save over 50 dollars ordering them from a retailer in the states. A bunch of places started selling them for about 50-60, will see if I can remember where. Drilling options might be more limited, but check before ordering

I've looked at some online dealers and it seems that all of them do not carry the 36h version. Would it cost less to order them from LBS?
    • CommentAuthorShaku

LBS may cost a bit more as there are brick and mortar fees to cover, but then again, if you have an issue, the extra cost may be worth it so you have a person who can help you fix the situation by sending it back and getting a replacement for you rather than you having to do it yourself.
    Does anyone have any experience with DA track cranks like the FC-7600 and FC-7710? I've been considering getting a set of 175mm of those instead of 175mm 75's. Not really sure though.
    Dont change the fork keep it original!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.