velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012 edited

Over the past six and a half years I developed and ran velospace.org. It was an incredible time, seeing a community created from nothing but a few ideas to end up being a thriving and vibrant place for people around the world to share their love of bikes with one another. The community here is unique and the best on the web in my opinion. There's been a lot of laughs, trades, new ideas, and fantastic conversations here during the life of velospace. Six and a half years is a long time! A lot has changed over those years and my priorities and focus has shifted, as yours often does, to other things. Rather than shut down the site, I sought out someone to take it over wholesale and keep it going.

velospace is now owned by Group Builder (http://groupbuilder.com), a group of guys from Texas who are passionate about building and growing online communities. Group Builder is excited to be taking over and serving all of you.

I will continue to be around as a regular velospace user and look forward to participating in the community. Thanks to all of you for your support over the years, and for many great years to come.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012

I can imagine how busy you have been Greg, and over the last two years, I have seen first hand how time consuming it can be to manage a website that is being used 24 hours a day, every day. Happy to hear you will be able to switch focus to other priorities of yours, and your site will still be up and running.

Thanks for everything!
    • CommentAuthorShaku

I havent been a member as long as most people, but I really appreciate all the time and effort you put in here :)

If I may ask, even though it is run by another group, if during your stay here as a member, would you by chance still be able to speak with these new owners in case they start taking your forum in a different direction that doesn't follow the original intention?
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Posted By: ShakuIf I may ask, even though it is run by another group, if during your stay here as a member, would you by chance still be able to speak with these new owners in case they start taking your forum in a different direction that doesn't follow the original intention?

velospace now belongs to Group Builder. However, they have a lot of respect for what the community is doing and I am confident they will continue to allow you all to do what you do.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

While I am disappointed you will no longer be the key player in velospace, I understand your decision and hope it works out for the best.

Now you can appreciate the community without having to worry about the ins and outs of how it is running :D
    Thanks for all of the work you put in over the years. You've done an awesome job putting together and running the site. Good luck with whatever you are up to. Long live the benevolent overlord!
    • CommentAuthorChris V

I think I speak for all of the fellow VS members when I say you started one of the best, if not the best, online bike communit/forum. Thanks a lot for everything you have done Greg. Glad that you found some new owners too instead of just shutting down.
    sorry to see you go as overlord, you were the best. and velospace is a terrific site. i had noticed a few hinky things with the forum in the last couple of days, posts disappearing and reappearing and the disappearing again. i assume that was related to the transition in some way and i can understand that. as of this moment, however, there are still some things missing and i'm wondering if they are gone for good. any ideas?
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

Greg Thanks so much for one of the greatest if not best forum out there! I I really appreciate everything you have done! I have learned a lot, sold, bought a lot over the three years I have been here. Again thank you so much.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

This site has ruled my life, I love it. Thank you for all your hard work!!!
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Greg, thanks for starting up the site and driving its growth -- you're a visionary, and it's great to see the place you've built. I hope that Group Builder will be good caretaker, but I have to admit a little trepidation. Rather than "a group of guys from Texas," their site comes off as generic corporate. If Velospace.org is just something else to add to Glockforum.com and "Cheorkee Talk" (they misspell the name of their own forum), that's worrisome. Don't want to be a downer, but all we have to go on is Group Builder's own site, and it doesn't exactly say "community." Anyway, thanks again, Greg, and all the best.
    • CommentAuthorTxCyclist

Posted By: cicadashellsorry to see you go as overlord, you were the best. and velospace is a terrific site. i had noticed a few hinky things with the forum in the last couple of days, posts disappearing and reappearing and the disappearing again. i assume that was related to the transition in some way and i can understand that. as of this moment, however, there are still some things missing and i'm wondering if they are gone for good. any ideas?

There was a bit of lost content in the move however all should be stable moving forward.

Greg has fostered a great community and we hope to continue the already successful path he has put Velospace on.

We are a small company based out of San Marcos and almost all are active cyclists. We are lucky to live in a town that allows us to bike most everywhere we need to go. We own an eclectic portfolio but are involved in all communities, I started JeepForum in 2001 and continue to run to this day, completely understand what a community is and how to not tamper with it.

Look forward to getting involved.
    As others have stated, thanks for doing all the trail busting, now we all enjoy a good ride.
    Is this possibly the reason I am getting an "unrecognized user" message when posting? this just began a day or two ago!
    • CommentAuthorTxCyclist

It does it on every reply?

Since we run different servers then Greg there might be a couple bugs to fix here and there.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: TxCyclistcompletely understand what a community is and how to not tamper with it.

Glad to hear it. As you're a new member, post some bikes when you have a chance -- would love to see what you ride.
    Posted By: TxCyclistIt does it on every reply?

Since we run different servers then Greg there might be a couple bugs to fix here and there.

Not every one, and if I double click on post immediately afterwords it posts, just a glitch I guess.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: TxCyclistIt does it on every reply?

Hmm so I take it you are the new powers that be? You have large shoes to fill my friend. Don't let us down ;)
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: TxCyclistWe are a small company based out of San Marcos and almost all are active cyclists.

San Marcos, eh? I'm in Houston myself. Show us some of your bikes!
    • CommentAuthorchain suck

Chapeau! Greg, for creating and running a site that has been a huge inspiration and valuable resource.

Personally, I have concerns about Velospace becoming part of an empire that seems to primarily focus on firearms and 4x4s. Time to go for a ride and think about remaining a member or not.
    • CommentAuthorTxCyclist

Empire? I like the sound of that but unfortunately aren't.

We also own TwoSpoke and ObservedTrials.net. Both sites are running vBulletin which we aren't going to change VeloSpace into. Probably won't mess with the software but might look into making the site more mobile friendly in the future.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.