velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Not completely rare, but always draws my attention when I see one offered up, but I always thought they should be called the Campagnolo Star, as in five points, the Cowboys, you know. A Sheriff has seven points on his badge.
    And so does this.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/103745900014599484485/CampagnoloSheriff7_1?authkey=Gv1sRgCKW3_tmKgN-VsgE#
    How come the more perfectly shiny something is the harder it is to get good pictures?
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012 edited

Saw one of those up on Ebay a week or so ago. It was a front wheel. Had never seen it til then.

edit - here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-Campagnolo-C-Record-Sheriff-Star-32h-Pista-track-wheel-7-bladed-hub-/110860115814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cfc71f66
    • CommentAuthorJeromyd
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012

Ive owned a set and i think im about to buy some more just to keep. idk what this thread is asking if its asking anything at all. But i know they were not produced for a long time and they are highly sought after. Also i know under the wrong tension and improper building the taper on the star snaps !!!

But i still love them.
    I'm trying to find out if they are as rare as I've come to believe, this is only the third Ive seen. Did I mention I bought it today! and I've only seen fronts, no rears. Ive heard so many stories about them snapping but have never seen a picture of any 5, 6, 7 or 8 lobed/ spokes hub cracked, i almost think its a cycling urban myth.
    I read a long article on Sheldon Browns site a while back and they did a pretty involved study with hundreds of hubs from lots of manufactures that had failed and the mojority where involved in accidents or mishaps, or impropper de-tensioning. ie using a pair of dykes.
    Posted By: stalag13Saw one of those up on Ebay a week or so ago. It was a front wheel. Had never seen it til then.

edit - here it is:http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-Campagnolo-C-Record-Sheriff-Star-32h-Pista-track-wheel-7-bladed-hub-/110860115814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cfc71f66

And this is a relist, when I saw it listed the first time I was close to calling BS, because it was early, coffee hadn't kicked in and I thought it was the old case of someone calling a 32 hole NJS or a 6 leg DA a sheriff.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

If you look closely, only one spoke lands on a point of the star. Because of this, they were prone to breaking more than other hubs.
    They are formally called C-Record High Flange Hubs. "Sheriff star" is the slang term for them. They were only made for 4-5 years, basically the late 1980's. I cringe everytime I see one radially laced...eek!
    Gorgeous but I wouldn't want to lock them up on the street.
    Theory being a 5 star is stronger?
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

I would think the smaller cutouts would make them stronger, even though there's more of them than the 5 point Sheriffs.
    • CommentAuthorchku

I have some of these, in 36h. They're used, but sitting in their original box w/ warranty pamphlet. If anyone wants them, lemme know.
    All I know is.... I shot him....

• CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: chkuI have some of these, in 36h. They're used, but sitting in their original box w/ warranty pamphlet. If anyone wants them, lemme know.

Okay, I'll do the first bid. $20!
    • CommentAuthorchain suck

I'm a structural steel guy, been putting up iron for just over 20 years,there are things and engineer will tell you can't be done, that we do all the time, and then there are things that they say will work, when we call them on it, force them to a job site for a demonstration they always get wee wee pants when the folley of what wasn't clear on paper stares them in the face.

The point of that rant is that when you build a wheel, each spoke is under an equal amount of maximum compression or tension at similar points in its circular travel each revolution.
    Bare with me now as I try to convince you why a 7 spoke is at least as strong as a 5 spoke which just has sexier lines and the reason I think this was the style they ran with.

16 holes in both examples.
    when supported by 5 spokes thats 3.20 spokes per "arc" or perimeter section (32/5=3.2)
    when supported by 7 spokes thats 2.28 spokes per "arc" or perimeter section (32/7=2.28)
    Now I know the minimum width of the 7 spoke example I have is 5.2 mm at its norrowest point and the flange is 3.2mm thick. If you think of that as a column its 16.32 square mm of support area. I dont know the corrsponding measurement on a 5 spoke, but it would need to calc out to 7.2 mm wide at the narrowest point (assuming an equal 3.2mm thickness. to proved the same "column" area per spoke.

Good Lord, thats not to much math this late at night is it?

Also, even though there were fewer lawyers back then, structural engineers of all stripes have always over engineered everything, so until someone shows me pictures of exploded hubs of any sort, I trust them with my life, and basicly at 50km plus on the banks isn't that what your doing.?
    • CommentAuthorchain suck

I would think that is caused more by a inferior quality forging that a design, if this was a common occurance don't you think Sheriff Star would be uttered under you breath like Corvairs and exploding Ford Pintos?
    see how "grainy" the aluminum is, and after the initial spoke pulled loose why the additional damage? looks like some micro cracking all the way around, big pothole and boom! Or the classic washout, sliding type loss of control ending with a spectacular high side flip into the British hedgerows, OUCH!
    Another spanner to throw into the works, Shimano made a 6 spoke 36 hole Kierin hub, pre NJS. If any hub was subject to incredible violence and survived that is a great example.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012

yep, the original dura ace hub. I've never seen one of those break.
    • CommentAuthorColumbusSLX
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited

Posted By: socal3renshoAnd this is a relist, when I saw it listed the first time I was close to calling BS, because it was early, coffee hadn't kicked in and I thought it was the old case of someone calling a 32 hole NJS or a 6 leg DA a sheriff.

The 7-point hubs are just the Chorus or Victory versions - I've heard them referred to as "Deputy Stars". They have a slightly lower finish quality. I did very politely call BS on that guy, but he didn't respond. He's been trying to sell that one as a "RARE C-Record prototype" for months.

Plus, he wants $66 to ship it.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.