velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012

They're track only; Campagnolo never warranted them for the street. Sure, Kierin guys are strong, but tracks don't have potholes or curbs.
    • CommentAuthormanbeard

These 7 hole sheriff Stars you speak of never actually existed. Like ColumbusSLX, I also called BS on this dude both here and on eBay with no response. The "Campagnolo Ultra Rare 7 hole Prototype" are actually Campy MTB hubs. They are slightly rare as they only made them for a few years and they came in two versions, Centaur (the set on ebay) and Euclid. This guy is most likely trying to rip off someone who doesn't do their research
    • CommentAuthorNiflhel

Posted By: latronThey're track only; Campagnolo never warranted them for the street. Sure, Kierin guys are strong, but tracks don't have potholes or curbs.

Not true. There is a road version of the famed Record high flange hub also.
    So as my name implies, Japanese track is more my niche area of interest. Have a basic working knowledge of Campys tiers of offerings, and many of the historical / technical milestones

So looking at some other sites to put eyeballs on catalogs, I found a few interesting things-

As early as 1984 a road version of the five point was offered in the Record finish, which makes me wonder the year of publication on the SB article.

1986 is the earlies I show a 5 star pista in C-Record, with the tell tale banded hub

As late a 1991 The large flange 5 point star hub was offered as a NJS pista variant, the normal was a low flange. Campagnolos foray into Japanese Kierin only lasted a few years and loyalties lay with the home country manufacturers.

I can't find any visual evidence to uphold Columbus' idea regarding Chorus or Victory, nothing spoked and nothing large flanged.

Campy catalogs seem to indicate that if no changes were made its still available in the version last published. I don't see anything after the year 1991 with a star design.
    • CommentAuthormanbeard

Sheldon Brown is a world of know how but I find his site fairly dated and hard to navigate. For a more visual search I haven't found anything as useful as velobase.com .

here is what these "7 Bladed Uber Rare Deputy Sheriff" hubs actually are

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=6CE9102D-B733-4EAF-848D-426C7C82774D&Enum=110&AbsPos=20
    • CommentAuthorJeromyd

Posted By: manbeardSheldon Brown is a world of know how but I find his site fairly dated and hard to navigate. For a more visual search I haven't found anything as useful as velobase.com .

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=6CE9102D-B733-4EAF-848D-426C7C82774D&Enum=110&AbsPos=20

+1
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited

Posted By: NiflhelNot true

There may be a road version, but that doesn't mean the track version was intended to be safely used on the road. The link to Sheldon Brown above quotes an email from a Campagnolo representative: "Our 'track' hubs are not intended and haven't been tested for road use."

One option (albeit expensive and sometimes hard to get, apparently) are Electra Ticino hubs. Campagnolo-ish design, but much more heavily built.
    Those look beefy! with sealed bearings as well.
    • CommentAuthordiscotraxx

Posted By: socal3rensho I've only seen fronts, no rears.

because these aren't c record aka 'sheriff star' hubs. you only see fronts for sale because those people are complete idiots and try to claim them as a certain "rare" model c record hub that doesn't even exist. they're just chorus road hubs. look it up on velobase.com. two completely different lines of hubs from campy. I told the moron who has it up for sale on ebay (who also tried selling it on here once) that it's just a chorus hub and he didn't listen. his auction has been going on for months now. I don't think anybody seems to understand this judging by this thread.
    Posted By: manbeardSheldon Brown is a world of know how but I find his site fairly dated and hard to navigate. For a more visual search I haven't found anything as useful as velobase.com .

It looks to be an exact match, except the dust covers on mine are chromed, not black plactic, and of course the track axel in 9mm.
    This brings up two thoughts. I should not be hard to get an axel kit, assuming races and cones were universal, and this probably lays to rest the strength issue. Can't imagine a front mountain bike wheel taking less abuse than a track or road fixed wheel.

I have no more use interest in these other than I got them as part of a package deal on CL. I'll probably list them on Ebay in a week or so, If someone has an exotic use or desire for them send me a note along with your ridiculously high offer! LOL
    • CommentAuthordiscotraxx

Posted By: ColumbusSLX
    Posted By: socal3renshoAnd this is a relist, when I saw it listed the first time I was close to calling BS, because it was early, coffee hadn't kicked in and I thought it was the old case of someone calling a 32 hole NJS or a 6 leg DA a sheriff.

The 7-point hubs are just the Chorus or Victory versions - I've heard them referred to as "Deputy Stars". They have a slightly lower finish quality. I did very politely call BS on that guy, but he didn't respond. He's been trying to sell that one as a "RARE C-Record prototype" for months.

Plus, he wants $66 to ship it.

you beat me to the punch. good call. finally, someone who understands! that is all you need to know right there. I messaged that guy before he posted it on ebay, didn't respond. messaged him AGAIN when it was first put on ebay, didn't respond. what a joker. also, I remember reading somewhere that campagnolo apparently had a run of c record hubs that were actually defected. but there are still other factors that can lead to hub failure with these. proper use and maintenance will ensure a longer life span!
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: socal3renshoThose look beefy! with sealed bearings as well.

They make a cassette road version as well, quite pretty.
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen

I always saw that auction/for sale listing, but it was a little too pricey for me.
    Either way; whether it's a c-record/chorus/victory, it's still a pretty nice looking hub.
    when I list mine it will start at .99 and run, the market will bring what its worth!
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012

I'm holding a cracked 5 point C-record track hub in my hand right now, and I can tell you that one reason they fail is that campy just milled off too much material in a successful attempt at making the hub look cool as f#$%. Campy went so far as to machine a recess that is double chamfered for the spoke head to sit in (all on the outside, so they definitely look like they were intended to be built radially). There is less meat where there needs to be on this hub than any of the old french hubs with the super skinny flanges that I loathe so much, not to mention that the hubs spent a ridiculous amount of time in a machine to get cut out, then on top of that they were polished out a ton, all of which removes material, even if it is a small amount.

For reference, the one I have cracked dead between 2 spoke holes, and dead between two points. I bought mine for twenty bones for the axle, cones and axle nuts, which were all beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited

blockquote>Posted By: socal3renshoSo as my name implies, Japanese track is more my niche area of interest. Have a basic working knowledge of Campys tiers of offerings, and many of the historical / technical milestones

So looking at some other sites to put eyeballs on catalogs, I found a few interesting things-

As early as 1984 a road version of the five point was offered in the Record finish, which makes me wonder the year of publication on the SB article.

1986 is the earlies I show a 5 star pista in C-Record, with the tell tale banded hub

As late a 1991 The large flange 5 point star hub was offered as a NJS pista variant, the normal was a low flange. Campagnolos foray into Japanese Kierin only lasted a few years and loyalties lay with the home country manufacturers.

I can't find any visual evidence to uphold Columbus' idea regarding Chorus or Victory, nothing spoked and nothing large flanged.

Campy catalogs seem to indicate that if no changes were made its still available in the version last published. I don't see anything after the year 1991 with a star design.

C Record was heard of in late 1985, Pros teams tested them in 1985- Road

1986 was the first I've seen C Record track ,1986-87 I bought my complete grouppo.

Victory never came in larged flanged .Victory last 2 yrs. Triomphe only 1.

I never seen any other group after C Rec , Victory and Triomphe in 86 with high flanged hubs for road.

Canmpagnolo license for their NJS mark just ran out this past 2007.

Posted By: latronThey're track only; Campagnolo never warranted them for the street. Sure, Kierin guys are strong, but tracks don't have potholes or curbs.

They did as Campagnolo found out that people like NYC messengers were riding them and stated that they were not for street soon after they changed their policy.

Guys sent some stuff back through stores to be fixed.

They changed also to a light alloy with C Record.

As to the track not having potholes,You never ridden some of our tracks in the 80s like Kissena and Michigan.

With that picture above, It was pointed out that was from a bad crash.

I always say, know your builder. Have a good wheel builder, if not learn on your own.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    • CommentAuthorColumbusSLX
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited

Posted By: socal3renshoI can't find any visual evidence to uphold Columbus' idea regarding Chorus or Victory, nothing spoked and nothing large flanged.

You could be right. I was probably confused with Centaur - the inner curve of that hub is very Victory looking. I swear I had seen the thing listed as Chorus or Victory at one point years ago. Ah, well, aging brain!

EDIT: Boom! Here it is. Second to last hub listed. Who knows if this is an accurate claim, but it stuck with me. You can see the finish quality is lower than Record.
    http://hilarystone.com/hubsrims.html
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited

Well there you have it. It did come out and like u C SLX , my memory is still going down hill.

I never seen any marketed over to the US in the late 80s.

i wonder which Victory it was V1 or V2.

I'll see if my Campy bud, Maria still works at Campy in Italy.

When i find out info .ill post it here.

C SLX, great research and find.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited

Plus, those seven point hubs lack the oil/grease port in the center of the hub like all c-record hubs have. I generally trust Hilary Stone too, dude is a pro.
    so how much should a person expect to pay for a set of 5 point track? i know the prices will be diffrent for njs and non. i see them go for a lot on ebay.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.