velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

i want some 36h low pro tubular rims but i dont realy know anything about them. what would u all recomend. i am currently looking at some mavic mach 2 cd rims but like i said idk about tubulars.
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012 edited

Mach 2 is a good rim, but not really 'low profile' as the section is quite similar to the Open 4 (Open Pro) clincher. Mavic GP4 is a superb rim, without being as expensive as the early SSC models. Don't go for the ultra-lightweight rims - most of the models around 400g are appropriate for normal road riding. Also make sure you get a rim at least 20mm wide.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

While we are on the topic of Tubulars, I know some people say that changing a tubular is faster than a clincher, but after hearing about a 4+ day curing period for the glue, how is this possible?

And can they ever be as durable as a clincher (say like a gatorskin?)
    i dont have any real reason for tubulars, just gunna bild some because thats what i want to do.
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012

I am considering going back to tubulars on at least one of my bikes. This is in spite of the gluing process, which I always found challenging (to say the least).

To be sure, I think you could change a tub faster in a sort of historical competitive setting. But only if you didn't care for appearances, since it would be messy as hell. I've read that the modern tape-based adhesives are very fast and easy.

As far as durability goes, from my experience there is no doubt that they are better. The only flats I ever had on my tubs were after days spent on very bad roads or cobbles - and even then the deflation usually happened the next day, after pumping the tire back up to full pressure. Actually I always found it funny that the more expensive tubulars (I used Veloflex) gradually deflate even when brand new - this is a sign of a high-quality air chamber.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: chkuAs far as durability goes, from my experience there is no doubt that they are better. The only flats I ever had on my tubs were after days spent on very bad roads or cobbles - and even then the deflation usually happened the next day, after pumping the tire back up to full pressure. Actually I always found it funny that the more expensive tubulars (I used Veloflex) gradually deflate even when brand new - this is a sign of a high-quality air chamber.

I'm confused, how is it high quality if it's deflating gradually already? How often do you need to pump them up again?

Posted By: angelo garciai dont have any real reason for tubulars, just gunna bild some because thats what i want to do.

I'm considering the same thing :P sorry if I confused you with questions, hopefully they help you too! :)
    • CommentAuthorchku

Posted By: ShakuI'm confused, how is it high quality if it's deflating gradually already? How often do you need to pump them up again?

They use latex inner tubes. Latex is a bit lighter than butyl, and has extremely high elasticity, which makes them more puncture resistant too. Rolling on prophylactics is cool, but you can lose maybe 10-15psi in a day.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Hmm, I'm reading a lot of people saying "Don't do it"
    • CommentAuthorJeromyd

As for the comment about changing the tubular quickly. the product we use on my tubys is the vittoria and it is quick after you have the spare tire setup its pretty much a contact cement "like" once you have air plus the contact there on just dont go hoping curbs with your new glue ha. i run NOS Ambrosio rims there low profile very solid and built very very well. the company is still in business not very sure of the quality now but i love there products.
    so chuku if price is no option what should i be looking for i ur opinion. the will be laced to mack hubs, i just emailed him to see if he could cut the flanges like sheriff stars, btw.
    • CommentAuthorJeromyd

Oh and as for loseing air ive never had the problem of 10-15 a day maybe in a week. my conti sprinter hasnt lost anything in 4 days just checked to confirm and while mentioning conti sprinter <--- amazing tire!
    • CommentAuthorShaku

I've also read good things about the Conti Competition tires. What about the sprinter gatorskin?
    • CommentAuthorShaku

And is the tape reuseable on the rims? although i've read it's a b**** to get off
    • CommentAuthorJeromyd

the gatorskin is a great tire for road use hence the "gatorskin" part. never rodethe competition tire, i know you want to invest into a decent well wearing tubular tire cause your gonna be on the road not the track or running a crit only wheel set. as for the tape never used it. ive always stuck with 3m or vittoria the 3m is a SOB to get off almost always gonna rip the base layer of the tire but i promise you with proper set time and install that 3m isnt coming off and your set.
    • CommentAuthorchku

Posted By: angelo garciaif price is no option what should i be looking for i ur opinion

I would go with one of these four:

• Mavic SSC - Argent 12 (satin silver finish) or Paris-Roubaix (hard anodised), probably the most sought-after rims - I have Argent 12s
    • Mavic GP4 - all-round performance, hard anodised finish
    • Ambrosio Nemesis - still in production, used by Pro teams in the Paris-Roubaix this year
    • Nisi - all models are very high quality - the choice of Merckx

And Veloflex tires. Just google Veloflex, you should see great reviews. Handmade in Italy.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Thanks for the tips, but I think for me, the main thing that's still snagging me on the idea of tubbies is the process of changing a flat :S
    • CommentAuthorJ. Davey

I have ridden tubulars for nearly 40 years and prefer them over clinchers, Some of the newer tubulars as mentioned don't loose air all that fast and they are a better ride. I have even ridden them for many miles when flat or near flat to get home. Something I could not do with a clincher. I use the Vittoria, but have seen the Conti and Tufo. I have pretty much stopped using the glue except for Cross or Track and use the Extreme Tufo tape, I have not rolled a tire with it yet. (Like all tape it is not reusable - rip it off and reapply new tape for a new tubular. The advantage I find is it is ready to go with out the curing time. And clean.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: J. DaveyI have ridden tubulars for nearly 40 years and prefer them over clinchers, Some of the newer tubulars as mentioned don't loose air all that fast and they are a better ride. I have even ridden them for many miles when flat or near flat to get home. Something I could not do with a clincher. I use the Vittoria, but have seen the Conti and Tufo. I have pretty much stopped using the glue except for Cross or Track and use the Extreme Tufo tape, I have not rolled a tire with it yet. (Like all tape it is not reusable - rip it off and reapply new tape for a new tubular. The advantage I find is it is ready to go with out the curing time. And clean.

Clean? Like it doesnt leave residue on your rim??
    If money is no object and your going with the custom Macks, I would look into some of the new tubeless rims! lots of variety. increased contact patch, lower rolling resistance, nearly flatproof with the non slime type sealant. Widely used in mountain biking where a flat is the differnce between the podium and a lonely ride home in the back of the team van.
    The same technology is available in road versions for years now, If Dura Ace makes a set for pro road racers, it gotta be good enough for ridng around town!
    http://www.bikeinn.com/bike/shimano-dura-ace-wheels-c24mm-clincher/16182/p
    If your heart is set on true tubulars Gatorskins are by far the highest rated for durability and flat prevention, but not much is going to stop that shard of glass from the idiot who pitched a beer bottle on Saturday night for you to find on Sunday morning!
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Tubeless, hmm interesting, I found a company called "Stan's", they make a rim called the ZTR Alpha 340 rim that is lighter than the A23 I was considering (for clincher) and one of those mavics above (for tubular). And they make it in 28 and 32 just like i was planning for my build. Would you trust this Stan guy? lol

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.