velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012

In the last 18 months I probably went at least 6 months straight without riding a bike and then maybe road to 7-11 once a month for the other 12 months. If you've been posting here for a few years you realize that this fact is pretty nuts. I was running a small farm full-time, participating in a different sport, and trying to drink about a gallon of milk a day to meet the physical demands of my life. The last thing I wanted to do was anything that involved aerobic capacity.

About a month ago I got a new job installing/maintaining vegetable gardens at rich folks houses. Seeing as how my route never gets more than 5 miles from my house and I'm cheap I decided to ride my crosscheck.

Its cool. I ride slow and obey traffic laws now. On the first day I tried to ride fixed and not obey traffic laws and I found out very quickly that I no longer have the nerve/capacity/skill to pull that off without serious risk of death. There are no performance goals at all, actually I make a point to ride slow enough that my breathing pattern isn't noticeably different compared to walking.

There are hardly any people riding fixed along my route. The ones I do see are about 13-16 years old. I'm not sure if the fad has died or if its just because I mostly ride during school commute hours.

Also I gained about 40lbs of lean mass since I stopped cycling, mostly in my lower body, so I can accelerate a lot faster. Stopping is another story.

That is all.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Welcome back.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

You should have legislator build you a scraper bike-style stingray or something to sit back on your bike. Seems ideal for your commute and overall lack of concern with speed. I always wanted one but I feel like they have a top sustained speed of 6 mph, and dont work well in traffic.

Also, I am always excited to hear about people's non-bike related endeavours on here. Especially when no one has heard from you or months. A gallon of milk a day cant be easy...
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

dude we missed you!
    glad you're back.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Hows the farming biz? Sounds totally awesome.

Because of school I wasn't able to ride as much as normal this winter. Boy have I been making up for it now.

I love biking
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: Aaron CHows the farming biz? Sounds totally awesome.

Because of school I wasn't able to ride as much as normal this winter. Boy have I been making up for it now.

I love biking

Farming is cool but its sort of like a lot of the heavy trades, you need to do your best to use your brain and rise through the ranks quick because fieldwork will jack your body up within 5 years. At least it will here in California because we go year round. I was doing organic mixed vegetable row crops which is notoriously labor intensive. In the midwest it may be a different story since there is a built in 4+ month break from field work. The only reason I left my farming job was because their was a lot of drama within the management and it was on the verge of ruining agriculture for me.

Right now I have a micro scale commercial/retail vegetable nursery as my main project. The gardening job is to keep my bills paid while my nursery works towards profitability. I'm also volunteering with an awesome non-profit to kick this school gardening thing to the next level.

Working in agriculture is a good way to live poor and happy.

I wish iron jaiden was still around. Didn't he say he left velospace to spend more time gardening or something like that? I might be making that up in my own mind.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012

i think it was for more time with his kid or something haha
    • CommentAuthor2011
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012

Honestly... you should not be drinking a gallon of milk a day. Not only is that probably the reason you gained so much weight, but it's extremely unhealthy for you.

http://www.jyi.org/volumes/volume6/issue3/features/lee_and_wei.html
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

1) That article says milk is healthy
    2) Gaining 40lbs of muscle and bone is not a problem
    3) You should really stop eating grain
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

I love that of all the things you could say, like "Hey, Wes!" you choose to find something to pick at. seems kind of typical.
    Posted By: wes m.1) That article says milk is healthy

Watch this movie called forks over knives it would change your opinion about animal products. It's not one of those showing cows getting treated badly either just scientific facts about how animal protein is bad for you.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Every personal trainer and dietician i've met agrees with the fact cow milk is not the most ideal source of protein. Many, if not all, suggest whey protein (the pure stuff, not the low quality crap, try New Zealand whey or stuff from whey factory).
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited

Posted By: adrian13346
    Posted By: wes m.1) That article says milk is healthy

Watch this movie called forks over knives it would change your opinion about animal products. It's not one of those showing cows getting treated badly either just scientific facts about how animal protein is bad for you.

You do realize that I am a farmer, right? I'm not confused about where food comes from.

If you knew how many ground squirrels are killed growing vegetables you might stop eating vegetables.

Calorie for calorie more animals die and suffer in the production of grain//legume/fruit than in pastured livestock.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

It's true. We had a guest lecturer earlier in the semester who was fighting for his right to sell raw milk. Really amazing man and had some really interesting insights to how the law operates.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

That is why I just indiscriminately eat everything, and try to avoid assigning value based judgments on any of it, because food is awesome, and there will be a new study next week contradicting the last one!

WELCOME BACK WES!

Riding bikes slow is also awesome, keep it up! I recommend large, smooth tread tires.
    It's also ironic because in the movie the two doctors/scientists grew up on and own their own farms. They're both also 75+ years old doing more physical activity then the average American.
    Also I wasn't a member when you left so nice to meet you.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Once you build up your skills to ride slowly on a freewheel bike, I highly recommend trying to do it on a fixed gear. Your control, balance, and focus greatly increase and improve your cycling as a whole. I've found that even though all these hipsters/roadies are zooming past me, I know I have better control and focus than they ever will as they feel that speed is the ultimate thing of importance. (don't get me wrong, I love going fast, but keeping that focus is almost like meditation on a bike)
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

Welcome back!.... damn 6months with out riding! that is crazy!!!
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: Shaku
    Once you build up your skills to ride slowly on a freewheel bike, I highly recommend trying to do it on a fixed gear. Your control, balance, and focus greatly increase and improve your cycling as a whole. I've found that even though all these hipsters/roadies are zooming past me, I know I have better control and focus than they ever will as they feel that speed is the ultimate thing of importance. (don't get me wrong, I love going fast, but keeping that focus is almost like meditation on a bike)

Hahahahaha. I am not sure he is going to take this comment well

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
    © 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.