velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hi everyone, this is my first post on Velospace, so be easy on me...
    I ride a Jamie Roy right now (it's posted in my page, check it out!)
    And the aluminum is a little harsh compared to other frames I've ridden, but I like the relaxed geometry and the look of beefy white frames.
    To remedy the harshness, I switched out the fork with an old (non-decal) pista concept carbon fork. However, this fork is really short, and doesn't give me much clearance, causes toe overlap, and causes me to bend over a lot. Can anyone recommend a good carbon fork that provides clearance? Thank you!
    Btw, I was looking at leader carbon forks...how are those?
    • CommentAuthorjam guy
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009

Carbon is a lot stiffer than aluminum. If anything that will harsh your ride even more. Try picking up a range fork. They make a nice one with a lugged crown. It will be cheaper and could possibly cheaper in the long run. If your really set on carbon the Easton ones seem nice. Check nashbar. They usually have good deals. I have seen the Easton ec-90 on there for around 100 once.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Tange fork. Stupid iPhone.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: jam guyCarbon is a lot stiffer than aluminum. If anything that will harsh your ride even more.
    that's wrong. carbon dampens road vibration. it makes for a much smoother ride.

j rock, just get a carbon road fork. tange makes a nice carbon fork. also look at ird, wound up, easton, etc.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

You can find a Fuji FC-440 Carbon or a Reynolds for less then $40 shipped on ebay (used). I hate to always say this, but searching ebay will probably yield the best results.
    However, if $$$ is no issue, Giant makes good aero forks and they are raked for clearance, Look carbon forks are nice as well, and cant forget bontrager, they have a full range of carbon forks.
    • CommentAuthormuckymucky
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009 edited

you dont want to do wheelies on a carbon fork do you? carbon = strong but brittle is what ive read~
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009 edited

Posted By: muckymuckycarbon = strong but brittle is what ive read~

That's what I've always read, too; but I'm not convinced it's applicable as far as normal use goes. My Frankenstein 'cross bike (Voodoo mountain frame with 700c wheels) has a carbon cyclocross fork off a Felt CX bike. I'm not hucking or anything, but I do a lot of rough street riding (potholes and curbs) and the fork seems fine. It really does smooth out the front end.

I'm with you on the wheelies, though.
    • CommentAuthordavid3558
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009

lol johnson cant believe i came across this thread. you could've imed me!

if you want better clearance, you should get a road fork with more rake. the wound-up forks are really popular. the best part is that all the road forks will have a brake hole drilling for that front brake of yours.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.