velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012

Ok so i ride a 2009 Fuji Track Pro (not the defective ones) and lately i've been hearing some creaking around my bottom bracket. Before you say anything keep in mind i've taken this to 2 bike shops and a couple friends and nothing they have done has worked. the bike shops said my spokes were too loose or my pedals are loose. got the spokes taken care of at my LBS (pedals werent even loose so idk about that) So after taking care of the problems they said i had i still hear the creaking. It only creaks when i apply force to the pedal which on a track bike is all the damn time. it's really getting to me and a solution would be nice. any ideas?

oh and my parts are:
    generic BB (suggested to me by my LBS because it's the same size for less money than sugino BB's) with Sugino messenger cranks
    • CommentAuthorNash

check your chain ring bolts, those mischievous little bastards can be the culprit of creaks and squeaks !!
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac

Posted By: Nashcheck your chain ring bolts, those mischievous little bastards can be the culprit of creaks and squeaks !!

damn i didnt think of that! will do.
    To prevent them from loosening over time, use some plumbers teflon tape on the threads... it will reduce the vibrations and 'lock' the threads, but still easy to undo if you need to... After losing a chainring bolt, and having the rest loosening on me, I decided that I didn't want to lose my chainring while riding a fixed gear bike, and dying... so I applied the teflon tape to my chain ring bolts, and have had no issues with them loosening on me... I still check them once a week or so, but I have confidence that I won't suddenly find myself flying down a hill with no chainring...
    if that doesnt solve it...check everything. dont get stuck set on that its something with the bb or whatever. i've seen creaks like that (when force applied to pedals) that came from creaking saddle rails (saddle too far forward), dry pedal bearings, etc. etc.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

I was having this same problem. Now to regrease my chainring bolts.
    loose spokes, that's a good one. seriously, start with the bottom bracket cups. remove, clean up, grease, and replace. if you have one of those external type bbs it may not be a sure thing but the older style ones, i would be almost certain it's the cause.
    Sometimes it's your seat/seat post. But I bet it's your chainring bolts.
    Regrease your bb threads, and all the important threads
    disassemble, grease, reassemble, tighten. then repeat with each individual part, until the creak stops. also tighten yur crank bolts, the tapers may have settled a tad and are now very slightly loose.
    • CommentAuthorscmalex

I have also had bikes where i checked the bb, crank arms, saddle, suspension linkage, spokes, pedals etc and eventually it came down to the stem bolts.
    sometimes its hard to isolate what part of the bike the sound is coming from.
    • CommentAuthor2011

It's usually the chainring bolts that need to be greased and tightened. I've also had some cheap chainrings that flexed when pedaling, causing a creaking noise.
    • CommentAuthorFilip

My ftp (2010) had creaking seat clamp
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012

Thanks to you awesome dudes MOST o the creaking is gone. However there are still slight creaks but I do know the problem area. It's the saddle or the clamp. Whenever I put pressure on the saddle it creaks. Is this the rails or the clamp? Is it just a matter of greasing it up?
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: CheyTacThanks to you awesome dudes MOST o the creaking is gone. However there are still slight creaks but I do know the problem area. It's the saddle or the clamp. Whenever I put pressure on the saddle it creaks. Is this the rails or the clamp? Is it just a matter of greasing it up?

The bolts may be loose. I know if you don't tighten the bolts enough on a Thomson post, they can be quite noisy. That said, I do grease all my rails when ever I put them on as a precaution.
    Anything on saddle could creak due to flexing or the plastic to the rails and clamps.
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac

Posted By: Shaku

The bolts may be loose. I know if you don't tighten the bolts enough on a Thomson post, they can be quite noisy. That said, I do grease all my rails when ever I put them on as a precaution.

I wouldnt consider it a seat post cuz on the 09 FTP's it's like an integrated seat post. You know it's part of the frame. I did tighten the bolts on the clamp thing. Idk what to call it. But it connects the saddle to the frame.
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012 edited

• CommentAuthorCheyTac

"The bolts may be loose. I know if you don't tighten the bolts enough on a Thomson post, they can be quite noisy. That said, I do grease all my rails when ever I put them on as a precaution."

I wouldnt consider it a seat post cuz on the 09 FTP's it's like an integrated seat post. You know it's part of the frame. I did tighten the bolts on the clamp thing. Idk what to call it. But it connects the saddle to the frame
    I wouldnt over tighten those just tight enough where it doesnt move anywhere.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.