velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey velospace.

So I've spend the past month searching and searching for a new track fame/framset/bike. I regret trading away my Makino but things turned out alright and I ended up on top after selling everything...but that's another story. Now, I got a budget of about 1.5K or so. The lower the better...cuz in the end, I am a college student and should set some of that aside.

What I got on mind...I'm thinking mostly about steel right now. Traditional geometry or pursuit...something on the aggressive side. Aesthetically, I'm thinking about a raw fillet brazed frame or something with a crazy paint job (like Landshark). Or like...wishbone stays, curved tubes....just aesthetically unique stuff. Obviously, I can't get all these things (unless I had a few thousand more for a custom frame). I'd honestly appreciate any help to find a frame (^o^) because it's so damn hard finding stuff that'd fit me (me = short Viet = 5' 6" with 30in. inseam @ 135lbs).

Yeah....the 1.5K is for the entire bike...not just the frame. So far, I've squandered $250 on the following: ***I don't plan/need to use all of these...but they're things I picked up on eBay and what not***

- DA-7710 NJS Crankset (Mirror Polished) w/ DA-7700 BB w/ S-75 Chainring (New)
    - MKS Custom Nuevo NJS Pedals w/ straps + what not
    - Selle Italia Concor (Black Suede)
    - Specialized Turbo 700c + 3 Specialized Touring II 700c clinchers
    - Nitto 66
    - Cinelli 1A 130mm (Used...in 'ehhh' condition)
    - Nitto B123 36cm (Steel)

A few of the things haven't arrived yet, but here's the shit I got:

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated! (seriously...i've been looking for a month or so...i'm tired of skating/walking around).
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012

You seem to be doing well right now. 250 for all that seems great. I feel ya on having trouble finding smaller frames, while I'm not all that short at 5' 8", i still need a smaller frame than most of the deals are.
    Maybe a custom spicer? I'm thinking of ideas for my frame right now. Check out his work. Not really high end but he does good stuff. http://spicercycles.com/articles/gallery-customers-bikes-ig58/
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012 edited

Also you can check out Colossi. I was emailing them and I would be able to get a triple triangle for like 800 shipped. Then pup the rest towards wheels. anything missing then besides the chain and tape?

Edit: Duh, a brake. And the tubing is Columbus Zona. They have "nicer" for more money of corse.
    Hmmm...I looked into spicer cycles before but not into colossi. I'll probably give them an email. Did they also give you an approximate turn around time?

And whoops...forgot to include on the list that I also got a new HKK Vertex njs chain...the blue one =p

For a wheelset...I like the look of box/low-profile rims such as Mavic OP's, Mavic MA2 (I think that was the model), and the H+ son TB14. And laced to polished phils or DA 7600s. I've owned both hubs before and after overhaul, the DA7600 were noticeably smoother than my phils (idk if this is a common occurrence) but the longevity and replaceability of Phil sealed bearings is very attractive. What do you guys think?
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012

No turn around time. I was just interested in pricing. TB14s to DA7600/Miche/Gran Compe would look hot. Don't go Phils.
    Cinelli MASH.
    • CommentAuthormktng
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012

NJS craze is still in effect ? :/ ? Why you dirtying your bed like that Hahaha. Parts look nice !!
    seems like it hah? its just that some of the quality parts happen to be njs. good parts ---> njs....not njs ---> good parts.

hmmmmm...i'm considering teaching myself and building my own frame. i'm taking a shop class this quarter and i'm strongly considering it. maybe get a plain frame for now....put my money on a tubeset and mix it with my blood and sweat for a frameset of my dreams? teaching and building one's own frame for the first time over the course of a quarter....does this sound feasible?
    Indian did it in two weeks. Granted he had the help of Jorland Greymane... I mean Koichi Yamaguchi.
    • CommentAuthorjamesbooty3
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012 edited

who needs columbus nivacrom. i got skyforge steel
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: soukietronCinelli MASH.

I thought better of you.
    I thought he'd get the joke. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I had the impression it was he who cracked the same joke in some other thread. Don't mind me. I have the worst memory out of anyone I can remember. Exactly.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

For all we know you could be remember right, we(I) could have forgotten.
    Posted By: soukietronI thought he'd get the joke. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I had the impression it was he who cracked the same joke in some other thread. Don't mind me. I have the worst memory out of anyone I can remember. Exactly.

i cant remember...but youre probably right. sounds like something i'd do.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012 edited

Fixed!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: gbrkcthere's the email of the guy I'm talking too:

No!
    Posted By: jamesbooty3who needs columbus nivacrom. i got skyforge steel

Um, me:)
    I have 2 Spicers, and I can honestly say they are solid frames, especially for the $.
    On the topic of building your own frame, I saw his yesterday. Figured someone here would find it interesting.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1640002012/the-jiggernaut-bringing-bicycle-frame-building-to

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.