velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Real talk. Go. Or 'indefinite borrowing' if you prefer. Do you or have you taken tools from your workplace, how often, do you notice your coworkers doing the same? It's a pretty mum topic over at my shop, but I can tell it goes on here and at other shops. Guide my moral compass here.
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012 edited

I've just finished working at the bike shop after an 18-month stint.

In my tool chest at home I still have from work:
    2 Park tri-tools
    1 Park freewheel remover
    Set of cone wrenches (Campy, but well used)
    2 half-full tubes of tubular cement
    Assortment of cable crimps and ferrules

I frequently forgot to empty my cargo pocket at work, usually went home with a tape measure or multi-tool. I usually brought them back, but I've been out of my job long enough that returning the above items might be a bit :S

I still have my security pass and uniform from when I worked at IKEA.
    I wouldn't feel right "borrowing" tools indefinitely- especially from a small shop. Maybe if I was seriously slighted by a bounced paycheck or one that was short on hours (I've been there in other lines of work).
    That being said I did pursue justice after a lab that had a ridiculous fee for no obvious materials. Vernier caliper relocated...of course, karma's a bitch and it was stolen from me 15yrs later.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012

I haven't hit a point where I'd need a tool I don't have. But I know coworkers who just bring their bike in on their off day and use a tool.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Yeah I just go in on a day off and work on my bike there.. nice clean open space and the advice/second opinions of the other wrenches helps.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Most of the oddball tools I need (French Bike Fetish; I need a lot of oddball tools) are unusual enough that no shop I have toolbench access to has them anyway. I have to troll eBay/swaps to find them. My own policy has been to buy extras when I can, and then donate the spares to the bike kitchen, so they're available when I lose mine (which is a predictable occurrence). I bought a Phil Wood BB spanner (the big pro one), and it disappeared somewhere in my house before I got a Phil BB. I spent months searching for it; then the kitchen got a donation of a Phil BB with a consumer BB socket. I installed my Phils with that socket, bought a pair of them for myself. If the pro spanner resurfaces, I'll donate it to them. Did the same thing with a Park BB spanner for Campy AC-H sealed BBs, once I realized I'd bought two of them. I got a job lot of freewheel extractors, including two of the ultra-useful Dura Ace 2-prongs with a retaining ring (also work on Regina and Everest); I donated the spares.

I should head down there now to dismantle a trashed Regina freewheel, and ask if they've got a soldering gun I can borrow...
    • CommentAuthorashmarke

Remind me never to leave my bike around you guys.
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012 edited

Posted By: eaglerockMost of the oddball tools I need (French Bike Fetish; I need alotof oddball tools)

I have the same persuasion. Luckily I know a fantastic mechanic who has just about every obscure tool, Stronglight extractors etc - he actually manufactures replicas of rare tools just in case.

Posted By: eaglerockultra-useful Dura Ace 2-prongs

That reminds me, I need one of these (I have a damaged Regina that can only be removed with the retaining ring)
    Why steel when you can just ask to use one?

At Re-Bike we see tools go missing. Sometimes they reappear at a later time or are never seen again. I’m fortunate that I am able to usually get tools for my own use if I need them, but realize that others can’t, or don’t.
    Posted By: the fumingatorReal talk. Go. Or 'indefinite borrowing' if you prefer. Do you or have you taken tools from your workplace, how often, do you notice your coworkers doing the same? It's a pretty mum topic over at my shop, but I can tell it goes on here and at other shops. Guide my moral compass here.

It’s up to the individual ultimately. That said if a person feels they have reason to steal they should take into consideration what could happen if they get caught. Is it worth the loss of a job or an ass kicking? Sometimes when you burn a bridge you can never again return to where you once were…
    What I should say:
    Come on man...stealing just is never right. No bike shop owner would ever mind you bringing in your bike to work on, use all the tools as you need...but in the shop.

What I want to say:
    Oh absolutely just take whatever you need. Steal whatever you want in fact, that's the perk of working for a bike shop, right? That small business owner who pays your bills has tons of money to just replace everything over and over again when take it. And if by chance he is not the guy who just won 500 million in the lotto, and is about to lay you off because his already extremely tight margins are reduced because he has to replace tools weekly, just sue him for wrongful termination when you haven't been to work on time or performed at a high level in the past year. Can't wait until you hit the real world.
    If someone takes something from my shop....I am not happy.....
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012

i've walked out with a few y wrenches because i stick them in my back pocket while helping a customer and then forget about them but yeah, why take stuff when you can use it all there in a better shop setup than anyone has at home?
    I dont work at a shop, but I steal from them all the time.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.