velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormarkwood
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012

I am in the process of building my first bike. Painful, yet rewarding!

I just bought a pair of Vuelta Zerolites track wheels. The reviews have been good and the price was right for my level of riding. My problem is, I want to use my bike as a city commuter in Toronto, and I would prefer a thicker tire for that purpose.

How thick can I go with my tires with these rims?

WEIGHT: 2151g/pr
    TIRE SIZE: 700c
    TIRE TYPE: Clincher
    HUB: Flip flop rear
    SPACING:
    SPOKES: 2.0 stainless steel
    SPOKE COUNT: 32
    LACING PATTERN: 3-cross
    SKEWERS INCLUDED:
    RIM HEIGHT: 30mm
    RIM WIDTH:
    COMPATIBILITY: Fixed gear or single speed
    ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: 16t cog, rim strips

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks ahead of time.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Mate, Im riding with 23c's here in Toronto, you'll be fine LOL
    I had them a while ago and for the price I think they're the best. A mini van sideswiped my rear wheel once going about 15mph and it didn't even go out of true. The biggest I had on them was a 32c.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

you could do up to 32,even 35 not that you need it, but you could. i'd probably do a 28
    • CommentAuthorNikola
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012

Measure the inner width of the rim. Multiply by 1.4 - 2.0 (1.8 most preferable) for road bikes and up to 3.0 for mtb, and you will find which tire width suits on the rim.
    Dude, consider to check your chainstays also: Having mounted a set of brand new 28mm tires, I had to find out that aluminium tubes tend to be a bit wider than steel ones ... and that the 28mm rear wheel would not move at all D:

On a commuter I would not necessarily go smaller than 25C, and to use a chain tensioner -in case that you don’t have a rear derailleur- is probably also no mistake, i.e. beware of cobble stones w/o a tensioner - Cheers.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.