velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorashmarke
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012 edited

Here's my old commuter. This is unfortunately the only remaining picture I have left of it. It has seen better days. It's a Ciocc (san cristobal I think), with the heart shaped lugs.

I crashed it and the frame (steel) was totaled. The steel crumpled at the head-tube / down-tube juncture. I'd like to say it was the driver's fault entirely, but it wasn't. I ran a right of way intersection, and so did she. I t-boned the side, rolled over the hood, and landed on the other side with a small bump on my head and some bruising to my thighs (from hitting the drop bars).

I managed to salvage the derailleurs, DT shifters, wheels, and set out to create a new commuter. I had a surly cross-check in mind with 28c tires and a brooks saddle with mustache bars. Picked up a free Tiagra crank from Mike's Bikes (my girlfriend bought a bike, and I got a $150 gift card for it during their Christmas promotion).

Here is the result :

I plan to go thomson on the seatpost, and also go black on some of the components up front. I wish I had gotten the brooks saddle with black rails and coils... maybe I'm being too nitpicky. It rides like a dream, and I'm just glad to have the Shamals back on a bike. These wheels have been with me from SF to LA so they have sentimental value.

Part of me wants to rub the decals off, and part me wants to keep them on because Surly has done a great job with the crosscheck.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012

I love crosschecks with dt shifters, check mine out!
    Damn I did a quick skim I wasnt expecting the Surly lol I thought you had the Ciocc repaired! Here is my Ciocc before accident and now here it is after....Surly!
    The Surly looks great
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Nice! I love Shamals so much. My next build, which probably won't happen for about 6-10 months, will be a nice road bike commuter. For now, to finish the Pista.
    • CommentAuthorashmarke

Veggie, love your surly. It's done well, seems like it rides really comfortably.

I'm considering bigger tires and putting the shamals on an even more classic build, but it doesn't look too bad on the surly.

Here's a shot of the bike + parking meter :

Dope bike. My roommate just finished a similar looking build (Surly Pacer, black brooks, black 105/silver ultegra, Open Pros to ultegra). I do prefer yours, though if i ever have a set of mustache bars I'm definitely going with bar end shifters. The wheels look great on this bike, but I can understand you wanting to place them somewhere more appropriate. You don't often see anything higher than 25c on a set of Shamals. Some black velocity arrowhead rims would look killer (and match your future Thomson stem and seatpost).
    • CommentAuthorFranzen

I have said this before to Veggie and I'll say it again to you... good taste, my friend.
    • CommentAuthorashmarke
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012

Posted By: FranzenI have said this before to Veggie and I'll say it again to you... good taste, my friend.

Thanks Franzen!

Good to hear that, as all of your bikes are awesome. I especially like the crosscheck and the CAAD5 - very nice.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I'm seriously considering getting a pair of Orileb panniers with my tax refund. I have a quick release rack on the crosscheck. Going to try and commute by bike more!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012 edited

Posted By: veggieI have a quick release rack on the crosscheck.

Do you mean one of those racks that clamps to your seatpost?

I've had a couple of those, and I've been disappointed with the performance. They're really not well suited for panniers, since there's not much to block the panniers from the spokes. If you load more than a few pounds on, they tend to swing to the driveside. Racks that triangulate by attaching at each dropout and at the seatstays are a lot more stable.

You should give it a try, if you've already got one of those racks. But I suspect you'll go to a more rigid rack pretty quickly.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

This is a full rack, it has quick release mounts, I'll try and take some pictures later after class.
    ha, a crosscheck with shamals. love it.
    Posted By: veggieI'm seriously considering getting a pair of Orileb panniers with my tax refund. I have a quick release rack on the crosscheck. Going to try and commute by bike more!

you can't find better, more easy to use panniers than the Ortliebs.... I commute to school with mine daily... and I don't just ride to school with them, and then let them sit in my locker all day... I am dragging them around all day from class to class using the shoulder strap... I use them to cary text books, change of clothes, lunch etc, and have been using them for almost 2 years and they have held up very well... it rains a sh*t tonne here... and having the full water-proof dry-bag concept vs a pannier with a water-proof cover is definitely the way to go.... the quick release engagement system they use is brilliant as well... the top clips on to the rack, with no chance of a pop off (although I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard of that happening with standard panniers)... if I was to ever get another set of panniers i wouldn't consider anything else...
    • CommentAuthorashmarke

I admit, this bike was about to turn into a touring machine, but then I realized, I hate riding heavy bikes. I do love touring bikes though.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.