velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorAlM
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009

They look hot as a just a rim, but I haven't really seen a bike that can pull them off... they just look kinda silly.

I'm even getting tired of seeing deep v's on everything, I'm looking into building up lower profile fusions.

Anyone else sick of the whole competitive deep wheel thing?

discuss wheels and whatnot....
    • CommentAuthoradriano

seeing aero wheels, risers, sneakers, and a comfort saddle is funny indeed.
    I hate h+son rims, I don't give people a hard time about them though, because I know people used to hate deep Vs just the same. My deep V wheelset is currently just sitting in my basement, although I can say that nothing compairs to those wheels for their ability to hit pothole after pothole and not come the slightest bit out of true. Does anyone have anything to say as far as the strength of h+son rims? That'd be great if they were even stronger than deep Vs for the city, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't. They've also got to be awful when you get hit with a crosswind.
    • CommentAuthoradriano

for supreme strength, velocity is putting out the b43 and the chukka.
    • CommentAuthornikon13

They do look silly , the flush aero profile is nice , but they are too deep , making them look cartoonish..
    • CommentAuthorcyrsir51

***Fart****
    • CommentAuthorewurl
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009 edited

i think they look cool. i heard they arent so great, hard to true, flimsy. Im sick of white wheels in general. Black ones look sick. I like the original design dodici came out with. Sort of shamal and gipiemme (sp?) shaped. I doubt the aero properties make much of a difference because of the increased weight. Im curious to hear reviews of the new velocity B43. I woudnt use them on the track thats for sure. Just like kids who own a 240sx. you have your lightweight forged wheels for track and racing , and your vip heavy deep dish chrome wheels for cruisin and pickin up asian hos.

*******doorknob*******
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I dig em . I get tired of seeing low profile rims , they all look the same . Im building up a set of the velocity b43's , 1 cm deeper than the hplus rim . I think theyre the best looking wheel for the back .
    • CommentAuthorAlM

*1mm deeper
    I like deep section rims, although I like low profile rims. I think the look of certain parts really relies on the bike as a whole.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Mavic mopen pros. Strongest wheel I have ever ridden. I have had them for 3 years now and never had to true them once. My deep v's are garbage. It seems like really stiff wheels in the Street dont do so well.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I dont like deep rims really for riding charactoristics , I like the looks . Right now Im running an mavic ellipse in the rear, and hed 3 in the front .
    • CommentAuthorAlM
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009 edited

My friend and I ride about the same terrain and his Deep v is horribly out of true... I ride dp18s and they're not the slightest bit, I also rode about 5 miles on a rear flat once with no damage at all. Cheaper, rims alone weigh as much as the b43's will, and hold up probably just as well. The only cons are the ugly paint job and weight.

I'm interested in trying mavic ellipses for the weight/performance, but I hear they have a lot of bearing trouble? My friend bought a set for $250 off some dick in sf and the rear seized up. On top of that the previous owner had also locktighted a cog on because he ruined the threading with an incorrect lockring. My friend can still use one side, thats why he bought them. but the bearings are fucked. He hasn't had time to contact mavic.

I think I might still try for a set though.
    Deep v's are on their way to being played out like 24's on an SUV. I think this summer will be the peak of the deep vee fad- and then it will be down hill from there. (In denver anyhow) however- be smart and hold on to them. In 15 years vintage deep vees will be as cool as moto mags on a supergoose.
    • CommentAuthoradriano
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009

Posted By: AlMMy friend and I ride about the same terrain and his Deep v is horribly out of true... I ride dp18s and they're not the slightest bit,

id say the two are about the same. you must be lighter.
    Its hard to compare- a lot has to do with build quality. Deep vee rims are strong when built right- dp-18's or velocity.
    * hardsole5280
    * CommentTime23 hours ago

"Deep v's are on their way to being played out like 24's on an SUV. I think this summer will be the peak of the deep vee fad- and then it will be down hill from there. (In denver anyhow) however- be smart and hold on to them. In 15 years vintage deep vees will be as cool as moto mags on a supergoose."

wait, so keep riding my deep V's until this summer and then take them off when the fad starts to decline and then get new wheels. okay, gotcha. whew, thanks for the heads up! btw- please tell me which wheels to get next.
    Does anyone have any pictures of a B43 rim? I've only been able to find a picture of the rim cut so you could see inside. I didn't realize they were going to be deeper than the h+son, but now that I look again, I can see how tall it is. I thought it was going to be a triple walled normal deep V, which I would've been up for. Otherwise I intend to just stick to shorter profile rims. The only time I really like the deep v's is when the rims, hubs, spokes and nipples are all black, but I think I'm gonna go back to a front brake, so that'd get screwed up with a machined sidewall anyway.

What's the business about a chukka? I didn't see anything about a rim by that name.
    • CommentAuthortangsuto
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009 edited

http://fixedgearleeds.blogspot.com/2009/03/velocity-b-43-photos.html
    These are the only pics of the B43's so far.

http://velocityusa.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-velocity-chukker.html
    That's some info and pics on the Chukka.

The B43's are supposed to be triple walled and tough, although heavier than Deep V's.

The Chukka's are basically Deep V's on steroids and are burlier and thicker. Supposedly aimed at the bike polo and trick crowds.

Long story short, Both these rims are supposed to be heavier and bulkier, although supposedly stronger than the older Deep V's.
    • CommentAuthorgiosSR215
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2009

H+Sons are shit, they might be a good build but way too heavy and aren't practical. if you want a good wheel with a deep dish, go with campy shamals. pricey but they will last you.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.