velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012 edited

I finally decided that it was time to give my beloved Criterium some much needed love. Final set up has not been decided on but you can keep up with the project here. I started yesterday with the stripping of the frame. Here is where I am at after several hours of tedious stripping, scraping, cleaning. Still some very stubborn specs of paint here and there but I am determined to get rid of those today.

Frame after everything was removed (prior to pulling the top tube cable guides WITHOUT BREAKING THEM, YAY!)

Round 1 of stripper on the frame

The fork turned out great with relatively little effort

More to come!
    Man I liked that red :/
    Cant wait to see what you are doing with it!
    • CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012

I loved the red but it was just beat up and tatty. I am trying to decide if I am going to pour the hours and hours in to polishing. My tentative plan is polish the frame to a mirror finish. Black and chrome shinny bits. With all my DA bits being fully polished back to mirror as well.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

what voodoo magic did you use on the cable guides?!?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Haeganwhat voodoo magic did you use on the cable guides?!?

And for those of us not enlightened in Cannondale lore, why is this cable guide issue significant? In the first photo, it looks like cable guides/stops on the TT and the seatstay are black; are they some sort of removable doohickey made out of plastic or nylon or something?
    • CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012

well, the cable guides are plastic AND removable, not to mention 20+ years old. The issue with them is that they are no longer in production. The factory that made those parts burnt to the ground, along with the molds for said parts. The way they are fastened to the frame is pretty cool. the guide itself is one piece and it is secured with 2 'pins'. to safely remove them, you simply need to tap out (read: into the top tube) the two pins. You will only be able to reclaim the pins if the Headset is removed. There is a small hole between the top tube and the head tube. Once all of the pins have been tapped through, it is just a game of shaking them out of the top tube hole. Just be VERY careful in tapping process, it does not take too much effort. I used a small torx driver, which was perfect! Flat bottom, as to not mar the pins. On a side note, the chain hanger is removed the same way.
    • CommentAuthorjburnha

Well done with the cable-guides: they "make or break" these vintage C'dales. I am always in the market for a few spares; I ask in every BS I stop in if they have any spares tucked away somewhere,-you never know.
    This is a cool project. Thanks for the good photos and description of the process as it's only going to get more interesting from here on! ...It is too bad new corporate Cannondale® pulled that bull-shit with vintagecannondale over his beautiful decals; I dont know if you are going that route but this period of decals (87-90) has always been my favorite.
    One of these days I'll make more progress with my vintage c'dale "mtb"-build-thread, but for now I'll enjoy this one! Thanks Nash for offering this
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: jburnhaIt is too bad new corporate Cannondale® pulled that bull-shit with vintagecannondale over his beautiful decals

Plz elaborate.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Nice job so far. As stated the plastic/nylon cable guides and chain hangers are the make/brake of the vintage C'dales. The pins are similar to anchors like you would use in your house for putting things on the wall. You have the plastic piece that goes into the hole and you screw into it which spreads the plastic anchor inside the wall. On the C'dales, the guides have two plastic inserts (all one piece) that go into the holes. The pins are pressed into the holes in those inserts and spread them inside the tubes to hold them in place. It's the only bike that I've ever seen to use them. Usually what causes them to break off is an accident. I've personally never had one break off on me and I've ridden Cannondales for over 30 years. The problem comes in when you are repainting them and want a class job.

I really enjoyed rebuilding mine when I did it.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

I just noticed that you didn't take off the shifter bosses. They are very simply unscrewed and removed leaving a hole through the DT.
    • CommentAuthorjburnha

Hey Veggie, in terms of elaborating on the decals: if you visit www.vintagecannondale.com you see on the homepage a long spiel that didn't used to be there explaining that Cannondale Corporate contacted the site requesting that they no longer sell the unauthorized, beautiful Cannondale decal-sets (through any outlet including Ebay) or else face legal-action. ...There is some well deserved snark directed towards Cannondale 2.0 (I suppose it is 3.0...) in that paragraph reacting to the oppressive maneuver, which more or less is a throat on any guy/girl wanting to repaint an old C'dale (bringing these classics back to life is a passion many have and have pursued, and it was a sad day when I saw that note a few months back now). I am not arguing with the legal claim or anything as the brand has its rights, but still they should respect the people who keep the brand's history alive.
    • CommentAuthorNash

shhhhh dont tell cannondale but I will be replacing ALL 'factory' decals :) It is ironic because Cannondale will be the first to tell you that the get tons and tons of request for old decal sets. When I spoke to them on the phone, I asked the representative why they dont have them. With a long pause, all that was said is "it's a shame isn't it" .

@ruffinit I attempted to remove the downtube bosses but was met with much resistance. In fear of breaking the through bolt and not being able to easily replace it, I chose to err on the side of caution
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

I can certainly understand. I wouldn't want to break that up either. I wonder if Josh or someone who's crashed one has kept this piece?
    WoW, looks exactly like mine..
    • CommentAuthorNash

here is a pic of the guides and pins for those who are wondering. Sorry for the blurriness but I didnt check it after I took it and I am too lazy to go take another.

• CommentAuthorjayohachen

I need some of those cable guides for one of the bikes I work on from time to time. We are currently using some zip ties.

I’m happy that you’re bringing a CC back to life. The CC’s are one of my favorite bike designs.
    It’s a shame that Cannondale doesn’t offer the vintage sticker sets. It seems that it would be an easy way for them to make some money.
    • CommentAuthorb3pkay
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012

Wow, this is exciting as I've been thinking of doing the same to my sr500. What product did you use to strip the paint? Great explantation on the cable guides removal; my chainhanger broke long ago.

To be clear, there is no longer an outlet for decals of this era?
    • CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012 edited

I used Tal-Strip II (http://tinyurl.com/7efmz6w) it works pretty well. It is nasty stuff so make sure you use some real heavy rubber gloves/glasses/respirator and do it outside. As of right now there are no longer decal sets for them. However, ̶

I will be remaking these decals for this build

errrr, I hear there will be some available soon and will let you know if they turn out well.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

I did see these pop up recently on fleabay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140724900934
    • CommentAuthorNash

the only one i would be interested in is the flag sticker. that will be the hardest to reproduce. Plus, it does not have the seat stay decals, fork decals, and 3.0 decals.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.