velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorstevospc
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012 edited

For starters: Long time lurker, first time poster. This is a great and informative forum.

I just picked up a '94 GT Force from a guy (dentist) on CL for $50. It's basically full Shimano 105 groupset and in decent condition. Picture.. I'm not exactly sure what I would like to do with this bike as I already own This bike and use is as my distance rider. I would love to take this frame and replace This P.O.S. My main concern is cost. I did some searching and found this and have been drooling ever since. Seeing as how this bike was posted 5 years ago I'm assuming that getting information from this guy is going to be pretty hard, so here I am. I'm wondering how much you guys think it would cost/how hard it would be to make this bike a fixed gear. I'm only fifty dollars in so I have some room to flex but I'm also effing broke. I can use the wheelset from the SE so that's a big cost gone, but I'm guessing I need cranks and one hell of a good luck charm on the ratio and chain length. Has anyone ever done a vertical dropout fixed setup and if so how hard was it and was it worth it?

*Edit: Forgot to mention. The whole reason why I'm considering this is the STI shifters don't work.

TL;DR: Is it cost/hassle effective to make a vertical dropout bike fixed gear?
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012

I will trade you a vuelta pista crankset (budget 144 bcd setup made by sugino) in 165mm length for your STI shifters, working or not. the cranks are brand new.

Magic gearing can be a huge pain, but there are online calculators available, and you can always use an all halflink chain, or a single halflink. I ;ucked out on my cannondale 3 speed with the magic gear, but it took some fudging around and I wasn't in a hurry when I built it.

It will be a hassle, but you can probably either net a bunch of spare parts or sell them to finance the build of this bike. Hope that helps.
    You fixing STIs now, Gram?
    • CommentAuthorstevospc

I'll keep that trade in mind, there's good potential that will happen.

How safe are halflinks? Could/do they weaken a chain?
    To do fixed on vertical dropouts you need an eccentric hub like this:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html

Edit: maybe not "need" but it's the only way I've seen while lurking around.
    Posted By: beastmaster303To do fixed on vertical dropouts you need an eccentric hub like this:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html

Or a magic ratio, like they're talking about.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsOr a magic ratio, like they're talking about.

Ah, yes... of course... magic. That one flew right over my head first time around.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

Why don't you just get new STI shifters? The Force is a sexy-ass bike. Then if you want a beater you can try and trade/sell your cdale for a beater fg.
    • CommentAuthorscmalex

$50 for that force? so lucky.

sometimes half links aren't enough. plus they stretch like crazy! and those eno hubs are so expensive that the people that can afford to build a wheel up with one typically can already afford a frame with proper dropouts

Someone should develop and algorithm that finds magic ratios with some degree of accuracy based on chainstay length!
    • CommentAuthorstevospc

I just put like 400 into the cdale getting new STIs, and I prefer riding that. scmalex, I definitely got a steal on the bike and I just found (this!)
    I magic-geared my vertical dropout Javelin on my page. You just have to keep switching chainrings and cogs until you find it (unless you calculate)
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

I don't like the idea of a magic gear for some reason. Why don't you buy new shifters and then save for a beater fixed gear. Then you can have 2 road bikes. Or when you fix the Force to sell it (if that's not against your morals or anything) for a beater bike.
    • CommentAuthorstevospc

The plan isn't really to make it a beater, more to get rid of a beater and replace it with a decent fixed gear bike. I don't have the beater because I want it to be a beater, I have a commuter that just happens to be a p.o.s. I have a crappy beach cruiser laying around that will become my beater/bar bike once I can get this thing how I would like it.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

Then sell the force and buy a real fixed gear.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012

Posted By: stevospcI just put like 400 into the cdale getting new STIs, and I prefer riding that. scmalex, I definitely got a steal on the bike and I just found(this!)

Yeah, that is what I was talking about/too lazy to find. If the purists are getting you down with the "keep it as a road bike" talk, you could always put the stuff you take off into a box, to be saved for later so it can be converted back. Really its all just adult legos anyway, have fun!

Posted By: suicide_doorsYou fixing STIs now, Gram?

I dabble, fixing them can be a royal pain, but a lot of the time they just need a bath. I want them for a 12" wheeled dyno vfr that I am building up out of spare bits as a micro road bike/pit bike on drugs, which currently has bar end shifters. STI's would be the icing on the cake. Aside from reaming the steerer out to 22.2 the trickiest part has been getting a double crank on there, since the chainstays got kind of wide when I cold set the thing to 130mm for my sweet 16 spoke cassette wheel (gotta love a spoke cutter).
    If you just want to ride it as a single speed (freewheel NOT fixed) get a chain tensioner, super cheap, like 20 bucks, easy as hell to install and adjust. Easy to removed the wheel to fix a flat or ......
    Bought a C'dale r500 for 250, stripped the rear wheel, sold the ultegra hub for $153, bought the tensioner $19, thru on some Van Dessel flip flops and have a fun light cheap ride I'm into for $225 plus a box of extra parts!
    Not sure if there is an eccentric BB for a single like to adjust the synchronizing chain on a tandem.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: socal3renshoNot sure if there is an eccentric BB for a single like to adjust the synchronizing chain on a tandem.

Well there is this...

• CommentAuthorjayohachen

+1 on the magic gear.

The White Industries hub & that Phil BB look like they're going to be way over your set budget.
    I say ask around if anyone you ride with has any chain rings/cogs laying about, I'm sure you'll easily find a few to get that magic gear.

BTW, ain't nothing wrong with conversions.
    • CommentAuthorstevospc
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012

Went to the LBS today and talked to the guys, they are in on helping me find the magic ratio later this week. If that doesn't work out I'm probably going to end up slapping a friction shifter on the downtube until I can afford to replace the rear STI, since I found out while riding the bike that the front shifter actually works, just needed a good cleaning. There's really no point in going SS other than weight, but it's light enough as is so its senseless to throw a bunch of parts at it to make it "simpler".

Thanks everyone for your help. If I can find a magic ratio and it gets interesting I'll throw up a build thread. If not, I'll throw pics and specs up on my page as is.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012

Posted By: stevospcIf...it gets interesting I'll throw up

Haha,

but no, sounds good!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.