velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2012

Our shop has had medium to low par experience with the Surly hubs, the bearings always need to be tweaked and tweaked, and some people have had slight chainline issues.
    Get formula hubs and put Phil bearings in. They're $6!
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

• CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: parkman14The next bike I build is going to be a conversion with silver VO fenders, Campagnolo Strada or old TA cranks, Concor, rando bars with shellacked tape, and sweet Mafac Racer brakes and some cool old school brake levers. I'm pretty excited.

So you posted that on my thread cus you wanted to build it, but told me to build it... you sneaky son of a biscuit.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Hmm?
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

yeah i am going to be building a set of wheels OP's to something cheap probably formulas. the miche cranks sound like a good option but i might end up getting something cheaper maybe RD2's?
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

RD2s are road doubles, per the name Rd 2. People just make them an easy solution for fixed gear drive trains.
    Just wait and buy some track cranks. Do it!
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

yeah the more i look the more i'm thinking the miche primato with matching hubs. i'm gonna be broke anyways so i might as well do it right!
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

yes yes yes yes do it
    very excited for this build. I dreamed of something very like this back when I had money to spend. Thank you for a build to live vicariously through!
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

high flange with fixed/fixed or low with single side fixed?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

me thinks double fixed
    double fixed at least you have option to run 2 cogs and also can run a freewheel if you choose
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

thats what i was leaning towards as well.

The plan is order the frame, then the wheelstuff and build those and then pull the other stuff together as paychecks permit.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

you could always go doouble fixed/high rear and low front.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Posted By: parkman14you could always go doouble fixed/high rear and low front.

ooh i'm going to do that.

any opinions on pattern to lace them up? i want to try something that isn't 3x. i've built like 6 of those and want to try something new. radial front? maybe a 1x? with a 2x in the back?
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

radial is a pain. just go 3x! easy to build, and most of all its the happy medium between comfort and stiffness and durability.
    sure, radial is stiff and light, but is that what you need on this thing? i went from radial on deep v's to 3x on my tb14 SSP wheels and ive had no thoughts of going back. my arms/wrists feel great!
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2012

but i want to practice building something different plus spokes are cheap, i can always rebuild later if i don't like it. although i think the radial might not look as nice. 1x front 2x rear i think it will be unless someone can give me a really good reason not to.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: parkman14radial is a pain.

What am I reading?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: veggie
    Posted By: parkman14radial is a pain.

What am I reading?

You are reading someone who has converted to the touring religion. Watch out, or it'll happen to you!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I'm headed that direction, but still, what?

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.