velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012

so my buddy wants to do a LA to San Diego Ride for his bday in 4 months and i'm looking for a really durable and light track wheelset that will be up to the task. less than 600 is ideal but 900 is the limit. i plan on taking my 09 fuji there so my knees will be iced fer dayz.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

What's your current wheelset?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012 edited

Posted By: CheyTacreally durable and light track wheelset

The most durable wheelset will not be light. If you really want to play with weight and strength I would suggest leaning how to lace your own wheels. You get to pick your hubs, your spokes, your rims, what have you. You will know exactly how strong your wheelset is if you are the one building it.
    • CommentAuthorDCrevo
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012 edited

My vote is for either hplus tb14 or mavic op built with hubs of your choice. Both builds would be light, fast spin up and most of all super durable. I have some op laced to dura ace 7600. Super smooth.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Posted By: DCrevoMy vote is for either hplus tb14 or mavic op built with hubs of your choice.

This or maybe some mavic elipses, they're actually really durable and fairly light.
    • CommentAuthorDCrevo

Ellipse are nice and about 50g heavier. The older ones had some slight cog problems... But everyone that I know have not had this issue. Cane creek Volos are a nice option as well and are cheap.
    • CommentAuthorscmalex

lace that shit up 3x

+1 on the OP's.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

How long will the ride be? I think pretty much anything that's atleast 32 spoke will hold up perfectly. I rwent on a 75ish mile ride using Campagnolo Omega t6 clincher rims on Campy Record Pista hubs (both really old... hubs are from like late 70s and rims are either 80's or 90's) and they huld up perfectly.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Chris VHow long will the ride be?

Posted By: CheyTacmy buddy wants to do a LA to San Diego Ride
    • CommentAuthorChris V

I know, but how long would that be?
    Posted By: Chris VI know, but how long would that be?

the whole way.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Dammit, you beat me to it.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012

Though I understand your interest in picking up a new set of wheels. This is just an excuse to do it. A 120-140 mile ride can be handled with a set of Wal-Mart wheels on a Huffy.

Get out and ride your Fuji. Put some long quality miles on it and you'll see that the wheels you have on it are quite capable.
    • CommentAuthorJazzyJeff
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012

Phil Woods
    • CommentAuthorRasmus
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012

I have taken both AC420 and Ellipse for 1000km tours and I would go for a set of Ellipse :)
    Posted By: JazzyJeffPhil Woods

he plays a mean alto saxophone (as someone named "jazzy jeff" ought to know), but i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to build up a couple of wheels for you.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012

ummm. probably track wheels arent the best way to go. get some gears.
    riding PCH from LA to SD isn't bad, its an easy one day ride and some bumps near Dana POint are the biggest rollers, most of the surface is good, Any good quality box clincher rim laced to any high flange hub. I you have the option go duplex and a 16/17 combo (wider if you do a lot of fixed miles). head and cross winds are going to be your biggest obstacles.
    Fun return option is taking the Pacific Coaster for the return and getting full use of the bar car!
    • CommentAuthorCoryShreds
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012

I might be selling my h+son tb14 32h to Phil woods soon
    CheyTac, what is your friend's weight? Are these road wheels? Will there be climbs? What are the road conditions you will be tackling?

These are the questions that will really determine what most of us will (should) be basing our recommendations on.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.