velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I arrived in Rifle, Co in the late afternoon on Sarturday March 3rd after taking two flights(LAX-PHX-Grand Junction) and two buses(Greyhound-Glenwood-Rifle). I basically just rested my first day in town. Sunday, I was able to browse around Rifle alittle bit. Here's a great view of the Colorado River, which intersects the town:

On Monday, I was finally able to meet Master Yamaguchi! He first showed the two other students and I his "showroom"(which was actually his living room...awesome). Several historic bikes were located here, including Lance Armstrong's Olympic road bike:

We continued on through the house, where he showed us his office. He blueprints his frames to full scale there. He is a self-proclaimed pack rat. He hoards hard to find bicycle parts in this office also:

Our last stop of the day was the workshop. Yamaguchi gave us the ropes on the do's and don'ts of framebuilding. He has stories for days. My hands would go numb typing all of them out:

Here he is showing us his patented triple triangle design and some problems he had with the GT frames for the US National Team:

Next we did some measurements on our bodies and decided what type of frames we wanted to build. He asked us what we wanted out of our type of frame and what specs we wanted. I wanted a road bike that was designed for short to intermediate distances(0-50 miles-Criterium style). I chose more aggressive angles, because I'm used to track geo(73.5 seattube and headtube). Yamaguchi, then, showed us how to hand blueprint our designs, but he said we could also use bikecad. Sadly after this it was time to go home(motel) and get a good nights rest.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012

That is awesome! thanks for showing us! Can't wait to see the Final product.
    Thanks! Maybe when I acquire all the framebuilding materials you guys can be my test group!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

If I were closer.
    HaHa that's what phones and UPS are for.
    this is awesome!!

wow... such an amazing experience... how long will you be there?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Indians44987HaHa that's what phones and UPS are for.

Well I'm down to test a frame! sign me up!
    March 3rd through the 17th
    This is so ultimate awesome! I'm so jealous!
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: soukietronThis is so ultimate awesome! I'm so jealous!
    I'll try to take more pictures. We've been practicing brazing and hand mitering the past two days.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Being a framebuilder is my dream job...
    This is exciting! Make sure this thread has many many many many photos and every stem you go!
    I'm enrolled in the stem building course on Saturday also, but I don't know what setup I want. Yamaguchi restricted us to a 1 inch headtube, because he says that a 1 1/8 headtube is not necessary on a steel bicycle. He said I could do a 1 inch stem with a 31.8 clamp size, but I don't know if that will look weird...
    Ive seen his 31.8 stems they look beautiful
    This is 31.8 1 1/8

• CommentAuthorHaegan

will he let you do a quill? that'd be pretty sweeet
    31.8 matches a steel frame reasonably well. The frame tubes themselves aren't quite that thick, but close enough not to be an eyesore. IMHO a 1 1/8" stem on a 1" headtube looks way more off.

Awesome thread, btw.
    im purchasing a yamaguchi kilo this weekend with that exact stem! ill post pictures, i would love to attend the school though
    Just for you Benson! A stack of stems from the workshop...

Posted By: Haeganwill he let you do a quill? that'd be pretty sweeet

Yes, thats what I was leaning towards.

Posted By: suicide_doors31.8 matches a steel frame reasonably well. The frame tubes themselves aren't quite that thick, but close enough not to be an eyesore. IMHO a 1 1/8" stem on a 1" headtube looks way more off.

Awesome thread, btw.

Thank you S_D, more to come!
    Yamaguchi displaying a 24k plated 3Rensho Track bike at the 1982 Tokyo Bicycle show!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.