velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Just a fun fact:
    Before 3Rensho was 3Rensho, it was called Cyclone. Here's an original cyclone:

Due to copyright issues, Cyclone was forced to create a new name for the brand. The owner of Cyclone asked Yamaguchi to come up with a name. Yamaguchi came up with the name 3Rensho in about 15 minutes. It represents the last three days/wins of racing in the Keirin championships. Here's some original artwork from Yamaguchi's secret stash:

• CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012

I'm in love with this thread.
    • CommentAuthorJ. Davey
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012

Very Cool, Thanks for sharing.
    Posted By: Chris VI'm in love with this thread.

Agreed. Can't wait to hear more!
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Sigh, my personal favorite framebuilder. Would love to at least own one of his beautiful works of art one day. I don't think I'll ever be able to be one of these chosen few to bask in the presence of a master.
    i hate you, i'm super fucking jealous!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the final project
    This is the CAD drawing of my frame. Yamaguchi also hand drew a centerline blueprint of my geometry. My seatstays will NOT meet in the middle of my seatube. They will go all the way to the top meeting at the seatpost clamping area. Its just the way the CAD program shows the frame:

As I said before, we have been practicing brazing for the past few days. Yamaguchi has us do these "towers." He said in Japan, if you were a shop boy for a Keirin framebuilder (which he was for awhile), you would have to demonstrate perfect "towers" (without any instruction) to the master framebuilder. If you did not you would remain a shop boy, sweeping and cleaning, but if you demonstrated perfect "towers" then you would be educated on framebuilding by the master. Here are some examples of "towers" from past students and my towers. I'm not quite there yet, but I've been making progress since Tuesday. This practice will help us with tacking and fillet brazing.

We also finished hand mitering all of our front triangle tubes except for one side on the downtube. After we finished this, Yamaguchi showed us how to tack our bottom bracket shell to our seatube:

i love this thread! keep it up man!
    Posted By: pateyectalli love this thread! keep it up man!

Thanks! Its much appreciated. I'm glad I could share this journey with all of you : )
    This Yamaguchi's 1920's Track bike with solid rubber tires (sorry for the weird angle; its in the top/back of the workshop):

This is his 1930's Track bike with 1960's adjustable cinelli stem (again sorry for the weird angle):

Here he is showing us his vintage Campy tool set...you can have one too if you find it and have $8000 sitting around ha:

This is his portable gearing box. He used it in the 1970s/80s while he was part of the Cycling Federation. Its full of aluminum Campy Record and Shimano Dura Ace gears:

And this is the inside of the front door of his workshop...Beautiful bikes and women go hand in hand. He has great taste hahaha:
    This is so cool. Keep sharing please! I'm loving it.
    • CommentAuthorColumbusSLX
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012 edited

The internet trembles under the awesomeness of this thread! This place looks like heaven.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Im loving the pictures ! I have a yamaguchi long sleeve skin suit. Do you see any of those around?
    No, haven't come across one. That's badass though!
    great experience! love the "portable gearing box".
    • CommentAuthorBummer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012

This thread is awesome!

Once you get your towers up, I'll take a 61cm track frame, triple triangle.

k-thanks
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: BummerThis thread is awesome!

Once you get your towers up, I'll take a 61cm track frame, triple triangle.

k-thanks

+1 LOL
    • CommentAuthorveggie

ill take a 52 triple triangle road frame!
    Posted By: Indians44987Here he is showing us his patented triple triangle design and some problems he had with the GT frames for the US National Team:

I read somewhere else about problems with the frame but I cant find where. What did the man himself say about these issues?
    Im really glad you are doing this thread as I've been toying with the idea of of doing the class sometime after I graduate this spring. Welcome to Colorado. I hope you enjoy your stay. It looks like you're doing a pretty good job so far.

Posted By: Indians44987Here he is showing us his vintage Campy tool set...you can have one too if you find it and have $8000 sitting around ha:

There was one on eBay about a week ago for $5000 (i think)

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.