velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

i wonder

do you guys actually ride OR is it possible put a fixed cog on a SS side of a flip flop hub? because, as i was going through old threads like this one https://velospace.org/forums/discussion/3040/fixed-cog-on-freewheel-hub/#Item_6 he is doing it on a specialized trispoke, and i will do it on a flip flop hub.

and if it IS possible, i WILL need a 68mm bottom bracket lock ring, to lock the cog in right? even though they both are threading in the same direction, won't the lock ring un-thread itself?

if you want to know, i want to run a 16t dura ace cog on the other side and my hub is the typical formula hub. *i will take good and bad answers*

thanks guys
    You can do it, but it's not the best idea ever. You're much better off buying a lockring spanner and a chain whip (or rotafixing) and switching cogs as needed. It's always better to get fixed/fixed hubs because a freewheel can be threaded onto fixed threading with no issues, but that's not the case when you try a cog on freewheel threading.
    • CommentAuthorBummer
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012

Posted By: bensonisajewRed loc-tite and rotafix that shit
    Posted By: Bummer
    Posted By: bensonisajewRed loc-tite and rotafix that shit

Or instead of ever having to worry about what if one day Ill die riding a suicide hub just switch out the cogs on your fixed threaded side.
    is it possible to machine lockring threading on a freewheel threading? Yes? How possible? How much of a pain in the ass would it be? Maybe there's some tapping tool that can do it? That'd be pretty sweet.

Turn ALL the freewheels into fixed gears.
    Yes, it's possible, but...
    best case scenario-your it works
    worst case scenario-death
    It is kind of extreme, but its kind of true.
    Posted By: soukietronis it possible to machine lockring threading on a freewheel threading? Yes? How possible? How much of a pain in the ass would it be? Maybe there's some tapping tool that can do it? That'd be pretty sweet.

I actually know a guy locally who had a road hub converted to accept a track lock ring at one of our better local shops... They put the hub in a lathe and took off the threads and then cut reverse threads for a lockring... He couriers full time on that hub...

The ONLY time i would ever ride a track cog on the ss side would be on a track... End of story
    Posted By: R_o_b_s_o_n
    Posted By: soukietronis it possible to machine lockring threading on a freewheel threading? Yes? How possible? How much of a pain in the ass would it be? Maybe there's some tapping tool that can do it? That'd be pretty sweet.

I actually know a guy locally who had a road hub converted to accept a track lock ring at one of our better local shops... They put the hub in a lathe and took off the threads and then cut reverse threads for a lockring... He couriers full time on that hub...

The ONLY time i would ever ride a track cog on the ss side would be on a track... End of story

So baller.

please tell me this happened "back in the day" when you couldn't just buy a fixed-fixed formula hub for less than $40 or whatever it is they cost. i mean, if they "put the hub in a lathe" then they had to rebuild the whole wheel anyway. just scratchin' my head over here...
    Posted By: cicadashell

please tell me this happened "back in the day" when you couldn't just buy a fixed-fixed formula hub for less than $40 or whatever it is they cost. i mean, if they "put the hub in a lathe" then they had to rebuild the whole wheel anyway. just scratchin' my head over here...

Makes sense! But I mean... why bother making hubs with freewheel theading at all, if a freewheel works well enough on fixed threading? I understand thread engagement... but how many threads are not engaged if you were to use a freewheel on fixed threading?
    I honestly don't know why they did this... it was only a couple years ago... the frame was built by the owner of the shop as a 650C track bike... I think it was partly for the cool factor... and 24h wheel

this is the bike here...

https://velospace.org/node/37674
    soukie asked:... why bother making hubs with freewheel theading at all, if a freewheel works well enough on fixed threading?

this is a modern-day question. given the current market for singlespeed/fixed gears it wouldn't make much sense to offer a freewheel-only threading (everyone else using freehubs). but as recently as the Late Phonograph Era, track hubs were a specialty item and freewheel hubs were the norm. there are still plenty of serviceable examples around, minus of course the one that R_o_b_s_o_n mentions. now that i see the bike in question (thanks for the link) i can understand, if not share in, the thinking behind it. it's a "proof of concept" bike in more ways than one.
    • CommentAuthorMtbfixed

I would think removing the hub from the wheel and having a machine shop remachine the freewheel side to take a fixed lockring than rebuilding the wheel would cost more than buying a new fixed /fixed hub and installing it.
    • CommentAuthorgerm

I'm surprised you'd have enough threads to be able to cut smaller threads. I threaded a track cog onto a freewheel hub and only got 0.116" of threads past the cog. considering you wouldn't even be able to butt a thread cutting tool bit up to the cog face closer than maybe 0.050" that'd give you 0.066" of threads at most...Could always machine a reverse threaded slug out of aluminum and weld it onto the hub. It'd be a bitch though. Have to make it meaty to not deform then machine the excess off later. I do have a free no name 90's freewheel hub I could try playing with...but why bother when you can rotafix the shit out of it. I've had freewheels/cogs tightened on hard enough that I'm quite confident I'd never have the traction nor leg strength to break it loose.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.