velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

What do you guys think about this crankset? ,is it a major improvement from the original messengers,or still the same mediocre crankset.. Not sure of this was already was discussed ,So apologies in advance:-)
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012

Haha, at least it doesn't say 'kool,' nineties a la mode.
    It is extremely expensive, and offers little to no advantages over a much cheaper crank. Also, it looks ridiculous.
    • CommentAuthorsoukietron

• CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012 edited

Posted By: soukietronhttp://www.suginoltd.co.jp/english/cool_messenger_main_english.htm

This one?

Hmm, copying superbe pro much?

And only 130bcd??
    • CommentAuthorheadydude

idk, i think it looks cool, but you could get the same effect with some colored nuts and an ano job.

typical rehashed stuff
    • CommentAuthorbettermade

Posted By: Shaku
    Posted By: soukietronhttp://www.suginoltd.co.jp/english/cool_messenger_main_english.htm

This one?

Hmm, copying superbe pro much?

And only 130bcd??

id actually take 130bcd any day over 144 if its for street use anyway, cheaper chainrings, more possibilities.
    • CommentAuthormanbeard

gross
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: bettermade
    id actually take 130bcd any day over 144 if its for street use anyway, cheaper chainrings, more possibilities.

harder to find higher quality chainrings though
    • CommentAuthorchain suck

• CommentAuthor2011

Yeah... it's the exact same crankset as before, but you're paying extra for the additional branding/logos/designs on it, the mismatched chainring bolts, and having "sugino" printed on the back of the chainring.

On top of that... it's still the off 45mm chainring, which should be 42mm, as with all their other track cranks.

With 130bcd... you're limited to small chainrings. Not only are quality chainrings in 130bcd w/ 1/8" and larger than say 48t hard to find... if you get much larger, the chainrings start have more flex and will creak. A lot of track cranks that accept large chainrings (51-55) are 151bcd for added stiffness.
    Pretty much no one who rides fixed on the street uses anything above 48 anyhow. The cranks aren't that cool anyhow, though I don't think the normal Messenger is a bad crankset. I had one on my Langster and it worked fine.
    Posted By: RideEverydayPretty much no one who rides fixed on the street uses anything above 48 anyhow.

I often wonder where most of you people live. Im running 49/14 and most of my buddies either 53/17, 52/16, or the same as me. Guess you guys don't do fortune 700 fixed gear street races?

Posted By: Shaku

how is it hard to find high quality road chainrings? :/

you all reviewing this crankset how it's not a high performance supercar while this is made to be a practical compact grocery getter car.

its not a track crankset, was made for fixies, singlespeed roadbikes etc. you dont need anything over 48t on a daily rider, unless your name is 1997 jan ullrich. i would never buy this crank for track use, but for road use singlespeed use i use an old 130bcd road crank, allows me to use old chainrings from roadbikes etc, in the city i juse use a 39 of 42 up front, no need for anything bigger, im not riding on the outer ring of my roadbike when im riding around town either.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

if you're using old road bike chainrings, not only will you have an abysmal chainline, you'll also be running 1/8 or 3/32, while it is possible, it isn't ideal.

I think the problem is, the cost of this item is just ridiculous as for just a bit extra money, you could have something that is a ton better.

Posted By: Shakuif you're using old road bike chainrings, not only will you have an abysmal chainline, you'll also be running 1/8 or 3/32, while it is possible, it isn't ideal.

I think the problem is, the cost of this item is just ridiculous as for just a bit extra money, you could have something that is a ton better.

since you know everything about my chainline, no really its fine and 44.5mm front and rear. measured on half a mm, can't be more ideal i think? how about yours? oh wait you use an shimano un54 which is about half a centimeter too wide for your setup! ;)

but hey before getting into more discussions, imo 130bcd is the way to go for street use, more practical and cost effective.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

TA Specialties chainrings are some of the best ever made. I ride them on my carbon racebike and they've been made since the 30's..
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: Shakuif you're using old road bike chainrings, not only will you have an abysmal chainline, you'll also be running 1/8 or 3/32, while it is possible, it isn't ideal.

since you know everything about my chainline, no really its fine and 44.5mm front and rear. measured on half a mm, can't be more ideal i think? how about yours? oh wait you use an shimano un54 which is about half a centimeter too wide for your setup! ;)

but hey before getting into more discussions, imo 130bcd is the way to go for street use, more practical and cost effective.

If you read, that bike is dead and no more mate. . . . and there's no reason to be a d*** when I was just voicing an opinion.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: parkman14TA Specialties chainrings are some of the best ever made. I ride them on my carbon racebike and they've been made since the 30's..

Posted By: ShakuIf you read, that bike is dead and no more mate. . . . and there's no reason to be a d*** when I was just voicing an opinion.

+1
    Also, IMHO I would rather spend the money to buy a normal Sugino 75 or Grand Mighty than spend the Same or more on a much lower end "prettified" Sugino Messenger.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.