velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I am having a major dillema on a rim choice. I have been doing weight comparisons for three sets of rims to put on my dolan pre cursa and potentially use on my look 464 as well. I want something extremely light weight that can handle some street use that will still perform on the track. My choices are a set of Mavic Ellipse clinchers (1996g), a set of Campagnolo Pistas (2035g) only in tubular), and building some Mavic open pro's to miche pista hubs with sapim double butted spokes and alloy nipples (around 1600g). I need info from anybody that has ridden anyone; or all, of these to know about the performance and whether the weight should play the greatest roll. Through my sources, I would be paying the same for any of these options. The question is which will perform best as an everyday rim and track training rim?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012

I have no experience with the first two choices, but i can say that my three year old Open pros have yet to be trued and are great rims.
    I've heard tons of great reviews on the open pro's, yet they are my least favorite aesthetically. Would've went with building them to a set of phils but they weight and cost more. I'm researching and finding mixed reviews of the miche hubs though weight weenies makes them look pretty favorable. What are your open pros laced to?
    • CommentAuthorhmsgenoa

I have a pair of Mavic Mach 2's - 28h which are brand new and unused, I think they are around 400 grammes per rim. They are tubular type nice rounded 'V' profile with quite a deep section, about 19mm deep by 19mm wide I think and hard anodised (but not ceramic finish, braking on the front wheel would remove anodizing) and the 1st generation type with eyelets but not double eyelets. They are extremely good rims (I had 2 pairs of 32's one pair on Dura Ace L/F and on on C Record Large Flange - I lent the second pair to a friend, now a former aquaintance because they never came back! When I see how much the hubs alone go for I could cry!). If you are interested let me know!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Mine are laced to plain jane formula hubs, I have the "CD" which makes them look NMSW.
    I have a rear Mach 3 (36h) laced to a suzue hub. If i'm gonna build, i'm definetly shooting for the open pro's (clincher/black). But thanks for the nod.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

Formulas are great hubs and if you put in Phil bearings they're even better! Super cost effective also.

What about using A23's or TB14's as rims since they're similar to tubies and almost as light as OP's? I have no idea how they will do on a track though.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Phil 6000 bearings are $6 a piece and spin like butter in formula hubs. Why spend ~$700-$1000 on ellipse/campy pista that are heavy (1900g+) when you could build wheels that are ultimately as light and training effective, and save to buy Hammer Nutrition, race wheels, really nice tubular tires, gas, post race pig out food........
    • CommentAuthormanbeard

I've owned Ellipses and they go to hell after a few years of street use. Buddies did as well. I built a set of phils to OP's two years ago and have yet to true them. Slightly heavier but bulletproof
    Posted By: parkman14Phil 6000 bearings are $6 a piece and spin like butter in formula hubs. Why spend ~$700-$1000 on ellipse/campy pista that are heavy (1900g+) when you could build wheels that are ultimately as light and training effective, and save to buy Hammer Nutrition, race wheels, really nice tubular tires, gas, post race pig out food........

As stated earlier, I have very good sourcing that will allow for the same price no matter what I build. I have a great tubular set up just for the track (Mavic iO and Comete), and this wheel set will be primarily for my morning training sessions on the track and group rides with friends. I typically like to stick to European parts for quality and aesthetic purposes. The phil 6000 bearings to miche pista/pista high flange hubs sounds like what I might end up doing. clinchers are much more convenient for me (so i can just throw my conti supersonics in my jersey sleeve and switch at the track with ease). FYI, both the ellipse and campy wheels go for around 550 brand new online. Im getting a much better price then that, so there's still pig out $$$ in the budget.
    @manbeard

Thanx for the personal insight. Ive heard that phil to OP was the best possible option and I may just go with the Miche's for a bit less weight. I also purchased some hollow alloy axles to shave a few grams off too. Should be a cool build. pics to come once complete.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

So it'll be miches to OPs?
    Is the Dolan and Look good frames for the streets also? I was under the impression that they weren't.
    Both have very aggressive geometry and not really the best for the street. I'm switching to my specialized S-works langster for the street since it has a break hole and am building these wheels for the switch off on my other track bikes. I will let you know how the langster feels on the street.
    ohh yeah, Miche's to OP's it is.
    • CommentAuthormikeys

I'm confused... You own both a mavic io and comete, but you don't know which of these wheel choices is better? I would think that someone with such high end track wheels knows a little bit more on this subject.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: mikeysI'm confused... You own both a mavic io and comete, but you don't know which of these wheel choices is better? I would think that someone with such high end track wheels knows a little bit more on this subject.

Dude, you would not believe the things i see in bike shops then. Men in suits asking why the tire isnt as "firm" as it was when it left the store, or, "how do I change a flat"?

All of these guys are holding carbon wheels lol
    I am very informed on what is best for the track, but finding a set of wheels to use on rough streets with pot holes AND a wood track is a bit of a blind area for me. I would never ride my iO or Comete on the street and have seen a few friends with the ellipse set up as their training wheel. I have yet to see anyone on or off the track with the campy pista wheels so I was just reaching out to see if anyone had any experience going from track to street with the same wheel set. Durability/performance/aesthetic/weight are all things that the aforementioned wheel sets show very slight differences in.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: bourgeoisebradI am very informed on what is best for the track, but finding a set of wheels to use on rough streets with pot holes AND a wood track is a bit of a blind area for me. I would never ride my iO or Comete on the street and have seen a few friends with the ellipse set up as their training wheel. I have yet to see anyone on or off the track with the campy pista wheels so I was just reaching out to see if anyone had any experience going from track to street with the same wheel set. Durability/performance/aesthetic/weight are all things that the aforementioned wheel sets show very slight differences in.

I read the original post, but am too tired to go through the rest of the thread. From what I understand, you want a wheelset for both track and street, but mainly for track. But you seem concerned about weight when my understanding is that stiffness is what matters on a track as you are going for pure power and speed and there are no hills to climb to have to worry about weight. From what I've read in other forum post about this stuff I would rate them the following:

1st: OP Build: best all around wheelset. great for street, and can be used for track when necessary. Definitely can take a beating. I've seen this (from pictures) more on the street than on a track setting.
    2nd: Ellipse: Great road training wheel, but is best for the track as it has no brake track (my opinion) and I see no reason to ruin the aesthetics of a nice wheel for a brake when there are many other options. also have seen this more commonly on the track. A bit too flashy too lock up.
    3rd: Campagnolo: Track only. They are tubulars. Trying to change one of these on the side of the road is not only a pain in the ass, it probably isn't very feasible and you'll end up walking home. Also, you'll be wearing through tires faster if you use them on the road.

I would consider stiffness over weight anyway. Those are just my opinions, anyway, good luck! :)
    Thanks Shaku, you summed up what I found quite nice.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

I'm confused a little. So you want to build a wheelset for your S works that you can use on the streets and the track, but you can also use on your more track oriented bike, while you own an iO and a Comete?
    • CommentAuthorchain suck
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012 edited

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.