velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012 edited

So, I've been riding my Pista Concept as my every day bike slash "beater". It's really time I build up a real beater and stop beating up my Concept. I will be getting:
    Frameset
    Seat post & saddle
    Crankset and bb
    (Maybe) wheelset
    Pedal setup
    Cockpit setup

I'm most likely gonna order a Kilo frameset from Bike Island, but taking other suggestions on something that would make a good beater frameset for $200 or less. I have a question about the Kilo though. I see it takes a 26.8 seat post. Will it somehow magically take a 27.2 seat post or will I have to find a 26.8 seat post? Also need suggestions on crankset and pretty much everything else. I have about 200 to spend on parts and MAYBE another 150 on a wheelset, but I might just switch the Campy's between the beater and the Concept. For pedal setup, I'll probably switch the Origin 8 pedals, Soma doubles, and All City plastic clips to the beater and get something better for the Concept. As for cockpit, I really don't know what I want to go with yet. As I said, I'm trying to stay under 200 for all parts. Any suggestions welcome.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012

POIDH
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

you sell me campy wheels
    /thread
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: veggiePOIDH

Pics of what? O.o

Posted By: parkman14you sell me campy wheels
    /thread

Offer up.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

You're gonna have to find a 26.8 post
    Get the lugged Kilo TT that uses 27.2 post.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

what happened to your IRO?
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Posted By: bensonisajewGet the lugged Kilo TT that uses 27.2 post.

+1
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Eh, can't justify spending 100 more on a beater frameset just for lugs and a 27.2 seat post when I might not even get a beater wheelset. And I sold the IRO a loooong time ago. I would have kept it if it was my size.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Chris VWill it somehow magically take a 27.2 seat post or will I have to find a 26.8 seat post?

"Magically"? Fascinated by belief system; wanna subscribe your Twitter feed.

Kalloy seatposts are available in practically all sizes, in both black and silver. Every LBS I know stocks them, 'cause they're dirt-cheap; they're available online starting around $13. If your preferred LBSes don't have 26.8, they can almost certainly get it in a few days; the QBP order numbers are ST2268/black, ST1568/silver.

I am a little surprised to discover that Kalloy is attempting to go upmarket; all the stuff of theirs I've seen might as well have had generic labels that said "STEM", "SEATPOST" or "HANDLEBAR".

http://kalloyuno.com/index.html
    • CommentAuthorChris V

I actually have a black kalloy seat post I was planning on using, but it's a 27.2.
    No. You can't use it.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

Why don't you just buy a complete kilo?
    A very good question. You're much better off doing this and gradually upgrading/selling off parts
    Also get the 53 kilos are measured c-c. A lot of people don't know this and end up with a frame that's too big.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Yeah, I'm planning on getting a 53. And, well, I won't be doing any upgrading since it's my beater. And I don't want to have stock parts when I can have used parts of better quality and spend about the same amount of $
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

Just because it's a "beater" doesn't mean that you can't upgrade it. I think you just want a cheap steel bike that you don't need to baby. That doesn't mean it needs to be nice.
    But if you want to go that route I'd go with some 600 cranks. Good and pretty cheap used.
    Do you want risers, horns, or drops?
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: gbrkctJust because it's a "beater" doesn't mean that you can't upgrade it. I think you just want a cheap steel bike that you don't need to baby. That doesn't mean it needs to be nice.
    But if you want to go that route I'd go with some 600 cranks. Good and pretty cheap used.
    Do you want risers, horns, or drops?

I know that. I just don't want to be upgrading parts. I want to get a frameset, buy some decent used parts that would be good for a beater bike, and use it as my daily bike. I'm not trying to make it "nice". I'll definitely consider those. And I'm not sure yet. I have road drops and bull horns already (FSA Comapt Wing Pro and Deda Crononero Low Rider), but those are 31.8 clamp size. I think I wonna get 25.4 stem and bars for this bulid. Still not sure what bars I want to go with. Not risers though, that's for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Threaded set up right?
    Why not keep the cockpit modern so you can swap bars around. Why do you need drop bars or risers in different sizes.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.