velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorsoukietron
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012 edited

2009 Specialized Langster steel 52cm

I've had this frameset for a couple years. I bought it from this kid on craigslist- untouched safe for decal removal which saved me some time!

Yes... I've already named him OB-GYN Kenobi. Because it's awesome.
    Here's the frameset. I'll be removing the stock headset and replacing it with a silver Chris King threaded headset as soon as the motherfucker mails it out. Bought it on Ebay with a modular threadless top. Seemed like a good deal so I bought it.

I plan on moving the HED. Jet front wheel from my Globe Roll 1 (nicknamed IG-88). As well as the Nitto Dynamic 10 (100mm) stem and Nitto RB-021 SLP steel handlebars (26.0mm clamp, 420mm width) and emergency brake (Soma lever to stock brake)

This is the rear wheel that I'm planning on putting on it. It's an old HED. DEEP clincher rim that Tyler is lacing to a formula flip flop hub. Formula because 28h hubs are kind of hard to find and I didn't feel like shelling out the money for a Phil Wood.

Picked up this seatpost on Ebay. Sugino SP-H fluted 27.2mm, 140mm insertion. I'm in the process of polishing the SHIT out of it. Although... it's polish or masturbate. Tough decision. Joke.

Got these cranks on Ebay. Really good used condition for 2 bills including shipping from Japan. 170mm. I also bought the Protype sealed bearing bottom bracket from Benscycle. They do quick shipping!

Now I'm looking through the other components to get. I'm thinking:
    All City Standard track pedals (silver and red cages)
    All City double gated Clayton toe clips (silver)
    Retrogression laminated double straps (black)
    Sugino 75 49t 1/8" chainring (polished)

Considering:
    - D.I.D. Racing Pro silver 1/8" chain
    - EAI Deluxe cog (16t)

I would like recommendations for:
    - Saddles... I know nothing about saddles. I currently use a SOMA Ensho and it's started to show some wear after two years (which I guess isn't bad)
    - Any of the aforementioned components in the form of reviews/warnings and/or alternatives

Let the bashing BEGIN!
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

Go clipless!
    • CommentAuthoradrian13346
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012 edited

I have the retrogression laminated straps and they're holding up very well after 5-6 months. One thing i will say about them that kind of annoyed me is that they were a little thicker than pictured and I had trouble wrestling them into my mks sylvans.
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

Posted By: veggieGo clipless!

I need to experience clipless. Although I'm really attracted to the idea that I can just wear whatever shoe I want. Sometimes I'll ride to the bar in my boat shoes or my Clarks desert shoes. Gotta look good at the drinking hole!

Posted By: adrian13346I have the retrogression laminated straps and they're holding up very well after 5-6 months. One thing i will say about them that kind of annoyed me is that they were a little thicker than pictured and I had trouble wrestling them into my mks sylvans.

I have them on the stock pedals on my Roll and I had something of a tough time getting them just where I want, but I've had little qualms with the quality of the product. RESPECT!
    • CommentAuthorFranzen
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

If you don't mind the looks, I highly recommend the All-City quad-gate plastic mountain clips. Cheap, super durable, don't make that annoying sound when you're walking your bike and they hit the ground, and they also don't chew up your shoes like metal does. This is all, of course, if you don't want to use clipless. I can't blame you- I don't use clipless on any of my bar-hopping or errand bikes, either.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: FranzenIf you don't mind the looks, I highly recommend the All-City quad-gate plastic mountain clips. Cheap, super durable, don't make that annoying sound when you're walking your bike and they hit the ground, and they also don't chew up your shoes like metal does. This is all, of course, if you don't want to use clipless. I can't blame you- I don't use clipless on any of my bar-hopping or errand bikes, either.

+1
    Posted By: Chris V
    Posted By: FranzenIf you don't mind the looks, I highly recommend the All-City quad-gate plastic mountain clips. Cheap, super durable, don't make that annoying sound when you're walking your bike and they hit the ground, and they also don't chew up your shoes like metal does. This is all, of course, if you don't want to use clipless. I can't blame you- I don't use clipless on any of my bar-hopping or errand bikes, either.

+1

+2

I'm thinking I will get some plastic clips. If it works nicely, they'll stay! I'm all for the balance of form and function.

Thanks, Franzen! I was looking at your bikes and the plastic clips don't look ugly at all!
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

I need to write my review for my DZRs

That's is going to be a clean looking bike.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012

I just got my headset in. I took it to the closest LBS with my frameset to have it put on.

The guy was telling me that the fork crown race was not the right size. The Chris King baseplate has an inside diameter of 27mm, while the tange (stock) headset has an inside diameter of 26.4mm.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

says the all the 1" setups are interchangeable. Do I get a new baseplate, or have the have the current 27mm baseplate put on? FUCK.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: soukietronI just got my headset in. I took it to the closest LBS with my frameset to have it put on.

The guy was telling me that the fork crown race was not the right size. The Chris King baseplate has an inside diameter of 27mm, while the tange (stock) headset has an inside diameter of 26.4mm.

says the all the 1" setups are interchangeable. Do I get a new baseplate, or have the have the current 27mm baseplate put on? FUCK.

Some guy was having the same issue at the local bike kitchen. The difference b/w 26.4 and 27.0 was big enough that he was able to move the baseplate around the crown of the fork with his fingers. It was really loose.

You don't want a loose baseplate as I'm sure you know, I would get a new baseplate mate.

I just got back from my favourite LBS where I'm friends with the guys. The head mechanic had a sweet tool that basically lengthened the steer tube by cutting into the crown (improper nomenclature?). Baseplate fits perfectly. I had never seen the tool before or read about it in my books, but apparently it's a pretty old tool. It resembles half a facing tool. Free labour for the ultimate win.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: soukietronThe guy was telling me that the fork crown race was not the right size. The Chris King baseplate has an inside diameter of 27mm, while the tange (stock) headset has an inside diameter of 26.4mm.

The term of art is "crown race", not "baseplate", no matter what Chris King calls them. Technically, CK's right; the plate doesn't touch loose bearings, because the bearings are sealed. But it does make for a confusing conversation. Now:

There are three common crown race sizes for 1" threaded headsets: 26.4mm (better quality British/Italian threaded), 26.5 (better quality French threaded), 27.0 (lower quality British/Italian/French threaded, and JIS stuff generally). You can face a bigger diameter down to a smaller diameter; I've seen good French frames faced from 26.5 to 26.4 for British thread headsets (NR/SR, usually), because French threaded Campys are few/far between/x-pensive. You don't get a new baseplate made; you call CK and get the baseplate that fits. Which leads me to this:

http://chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all

Note that CK only makes 1" headsets with 26.4mm baseplates/crown races; they don't have a 27.0 at all.

It sounds like the guy who sold you this "CK" headset sold you a fake. Counterfeiting of CK headsets is not unknown; CK has a note on their headset tech page with a contact address for dropping a dime on sellers of counterfeits. File your PayPal complaint ("item not as described") and get something that fits. Even the Tange you took off is better than what you have now.

http://chrisking.com/headsets
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: soukietronhttp://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

says the all the 1" setups are interchangeable.

By which Sheldon (PBUH) means, all "1 inch headsets fit in the same size head tubes", not "all components of 1 inch headsets are interchangeable". In particular, the baseplate of a CK sealed bearing headset is not interchangeable with the crown race of a loose-ball headset, because the crown race has a face that matches the bearing, while a sealed bearing headset only holds the unitary bearing in place.

Typically, if you're swapping headsets, you keep all the various bits together, because they're designed to work together.
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012 edited

Fuck.

I'm going to look into it further.

Who's the goose? Apparently me.

BUT also: thanks for the information, Eaglerock. I appreciate the information and knowledge bestowed upon me!
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012 edited

I need some guidance. I'm new to eBay and I'm not quite sure what to do about this CK situation. I mean... the fork has already been "faced" to accept this new crown race.

This is what I sent the seller
    Posted By: soukietron Hi there. I'd like to know where and how you came about the Chris King 1" headset setup. The authenticity of the product has somehow come into question. The crown race (baseplate) as measured by both the LBS and myself reads at 27.00mm, whereas CK supposedly only makes them in 26.4mm. I'm trying to figure out how I can make certain that it is or is not an authentic Chris King headset.

this is what he replied
    eBay seller It is the real deal.

I own a bike shop and I got it directly from chris king.

Give them a call if you are having issue. If I remember correctly they can make baseplates in custom sizing if need be.

I used this on a Wound up 1" fork w/o issue. This was a very high quality fork and the fit was spot on.

Good luck.

J

What he is saying is accurate, they do make custom baseplates. Take a photo of the baseplate for me. Also, CK's service is really good, call them tomorrow and they will sort you out.
    WRT to the rear hub.... pretty sure there's a 28h DA track hub... bot saying you should go for it... but it's a cheeper alternative to a Phil...
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012

Thanks, SD. I'll post a picture tomorrow. I just fixed my dishwasher and I'm so beat.

Robson, I may actually look into that...

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.