velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012

yeah yeah, I know, it gets dirty fast.

But I've heard that Fizik yellow microtex bar tape can be cleaned fairly easily.

I've noticed that the Lizard Skin 2.5 dsp bar tape is made of an equally plasticy material.

Which of these two is easier to clean? I've heard better things about Fizik performance wise though.
    I've been using fizik... never tried Lizzard skins... but I've had good luck cleaning my white fizik tape, plus I love the feel of the fizik tape.... I will ever use cork tape again... I have the fizik on two bikes, and cotton tape in a harlequin pattern on my other 2...
    • CommentAuthorTracker
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

Depends on which one you like more. I hated fizik tape, but love the lizard skin tape its awesome. Both should fairly easy to clean, but I would think the DSP tape would be easier to clean. Oh and the DSP tape is super grippy.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

No. No. The fizik will be easier to clean, the DSP is like rubber.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Well I have black tape so... It was very easy to clean after riding though the rain and the tape was covered in mud.
    fizik is harder and less grippy... after going from fizik to lizard skins I prefer the amount of cushion and grippiness provided by LS (i can only speak for the 2.5mm thickness)... it's a happy medium between something like bontrager (too poofy imo) and fizik, which although is durable, easily cleaned, etc, is simply not that comfortable (I also prefer to ride gloveless). Lizard skins is equally durable, ie less vulnerable to rips than basic-ass deda/cinelli cork, and somewhat cleanable with a solvent and a little patience. I'm very happy whenever riding with LS, though I haven't cleaned my white tape recently and it is a little grubby. Cleaning it is not as much of an exercise in futility as cloth/cork tape.
    One complaint: I consider myself a competent bartaper and lizard skins is the only tape that has ever shifted around on me and lost its proper overlap; this has happened twice. Maybe it just requires a thicker overlap, but I think the backside stickum doesn't interact well with the covered frontside of the tape.

tl;dr - go lizard skins, its benefits justify the price increase
    • CommentAuthorchain suck
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012 edited

• CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012 edited

Posted By: chain suck1. ditch the yellow saddle so you're not obligated to match the tape

or

2. cotton. velox (france) and newbaum (usa) still make it in yellow. rest your paws on something natural rather than petroleum-based plastic

Hmm, I would love to do a harlequin wrap again, it's been a while, but I think i've still got the chops :P

It's not a bad idea.

In regards to the Fizik tape, I noticed there were 2 kinds at the LBS. There was this weird shiny smooth plastic like stuff, and I was really confused how that would be ideal for bartape.

but they also made some soft, almost fuzzy, bar tape that seemed to actually have padding unlike the other plastic stuff and seemed a lot nicer.

But at a quick gander at the fizik website, it looks like the colors are limited in the fuzzy stuff.

I think i'll take the suggesion of the cloth tape.

To make it more padded, would it be ok to put some softer stuff, like the lizard skin tape, under it and then wrap the harlequin pattern over it?
    Or would it end up really lumpy and unsightly?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: ShakuTo make it more padded, would it be ok to put some softer stuff, like the lizard skin tape, under it and then wrap the harlequin pattern over it?
    Or would it end up really lumpy and unsightly?

The traditional techniques are to add a little cush to cotton bartape is to put thin sheet cork shims underneath in the pressure spots. You can sometimes find sheets of cork in arts/crafts stores, hardware stores and wood suppliers, to make stuff like bulletin boards, insulation, rug pads and sound insulators. Or: You can also do an underlayer of cotton tape - one complete wrap in whatever color, then the layer with the visible color over that.

Cinelli was making something they called "Jelly" tape. I got a roll of it as an experiment, thinking I'd wrap it and then cover it with the VO Elkhide bar wrap. I'm not sure the leather will make it all the way around; it might look like Mr. Stay-Puft.

• CommentAuthorjohn kops

Yeah iwas wondering the same thing about how to clean bar tape what is a good bar tape that is white
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Posted By: john kops wondering

What happend to wandering?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: john kopsYeah iwas wondering the same thing about how to clean bar tape what is a good bar tape that is white

Read the thread Mac, I have white fizik on two bikes
    • CommentAuthorM1K3Y
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012

Posted By: john kopsYeah iwas wondering the same thing about how to clean bar tape what is a good bar tape that is white

I like to use bleach on cork or cloth bar tape so when it gets dirty you can just rebleach it.
    • CommentAuthorbettermade

i use white fizik microtex on my crossbikes, after its all muddy, i just hose it down with some water, dry it with a clean cloth and its good as new, this tape is magic i tell ye.

as for lizard skins, ive used it for 2 weeks, installed it according to the instructions on the box, wore down after 4 cross sessions, started to get loose in all places, not to mention it wasn't cleanable with water, soap wasn't an option according to the instructions as it would pretty much eat the tape -_-
    • CommentAuthortreehugger

My mom told me not to eat yellow snow.

I use pink fizik microtex and I clean it with bike lust. Works great.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: treehuggerMy mom told me not to eat yellow snow.

As I live in a snow-challenged region, and my mom grew up in snow-challenged regions, she never advised me as yours did. I had to rely on Frank Zappa for that guidance.

DO NOT USE BLEACH ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR BIKE!
    Is what I use to etch the anodizinf prior to a good polish job on alloy parts.
    Imagine what it does if it get on bearing surfaces or somehow inside the downtube, BB areas.
    Simple Green is an awesome all around cleaner, degreases, takes of tar, bugs, Jurasic sport drink spills, and sweat salt.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.