velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorspinlister
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2012

Hey guys,

My name's Will and I'm starting a company called Spinlister. Spinlister lets anyone who owns a bike rent it out while they're not using it. You can also rent awesome bikes from people around the world.

We're launching in March in the US and wold love your guys' feedback on the concept. http://spinlister.com.

Any and all comments (good and bad) welcome. We'd love you all to help us make this thing great.

Thanks,

Will
    • CommentAuthortreehugger

Sounds like a liability nightmare...
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Yeah mate, do you guys hold liability for those people's bikes who are lent out?

If I lent out my 3000 dollar bike, will you replace it at full cost if the borrower runs it under a semi?
    Posted By: ShakuYeah mate, do you guys hold liability for those people's bikes who are lent out?

If I lent out my 3000 dollar bike, will you replace it at full cost if the borrower runs it under a semi?

Also what if someone decides to keep a lent out bike or they lock up wrong and the bike gets stolen?
    These issues are (sort of) addressed here: http://spinlister.com./about

I would never, ever be part of this. Ever. People are not trustworthy, and a chargeback is a bit too easy to do these days.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Leave it to the Velospacer regulars to crush your hopes and dreams. Hahahaha jk. Love you guyzzz. Not a bad idea, but too many flaws and things that can go completely wrong.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll have full liability and insurance coverage before launch. Hopefully over time we can build as strong of a community as Velospace!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Seemslike a good concept. I would never lend out any of my bikes though, I usually don't even let my best friends ride my bikes
    • CommentAuthorsoukietron
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012 edited

Posted By: veggieSeemslike a good concept. I wouldneverlend out any of my bikes though, I usually don't even let my best friends ride my bikes

Same.

I do like the concept a lot though. It would be really cool to be able to have a friend who doesn't usually ride rent a bike and hang out with me.

I'm a little iffy on the exchange. I'm not sure if I'd really want to meet the person using my bike for the next couple of days. I would facebook stalk them worrying about my bike.

I do like that bike shops were included in it. I think it's smart to get as many bikes as possible.

I see this as an ideal concept... reality is sometimes less than ideal. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this works out!
    I don't anyone touch my bike, seriously. So lending it out is wayyyyyy out teeeheeeee
    • CommentAuthorbettermade
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012 edited

awesome, im so getting broken carbon wheels from ebay for low $$, optically touch em up, put them in my roadbike, lend it out, and get the person that rented my bike to buy me new wheels. l1kE oH Em eF GeE br0 yu0 br0kE ma wHEELz!!1!!111
    • CommentAuthortreehugger
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012

I do rentals and demos out of my shop, and when they rent a bike from me.
    I take down all of their info, I get a credit card number, drivers license, and have them sign a legally binding agreement that states if they brake my bike, they replace the parts that they broke.
    The more I think of this concept, the worse I feel about it. I would never consider leaving any of my bikes in the hands of some one who I've never met....SKETCHY...
    y'all ever hear of couchsurfing? it's kind of like this, but instead of giving somebody a bike, you're letting them in to your house.

it's a pretty damn good system.

naturally you wouldn't loan out your bling bikes with emotional attachment. i've loaned out commuters and the like to people i barely know, and i wouldn't hesitate to do it again. why? because i've been on the receiving end of such kindness.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

How much is this service going to cost the consumer say, to rent a bike for a day?

Posted By: gbrkctHow much is this service going to cost the consumer say, to rent a bike for a day?

We let the bike owner (the Lister) set their own price, whatever they see fit. Currently our average price of our listings is $20 a day.
    • CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

interesting read through the ToS. As a owner, how are you protected? seems like spinlister waives any sort of liability what so ever. Insurance? Do I need to have a valuation done with my bike before listing for use on this service? If so, who validates this valuation. If its anything like other insurance woes with regards to bicycles, "owner: my $3000 bicycle was ruined/stolen" Insurance Company "I am sorry sir but we can only give you $200 for a bicycle" It also states that the "renter" is responsible for repairs prior to the return of the bike, HA! Is this a school project or an attempt at a actual business model? Seems more like a platform to make profit from advertising and selling user information to third parties for use as they see fit. Interesting concept, riddled with liability issues and suspicious from many angles.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.