velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorkstang
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012 edited

I dropped off my frame at my LBS to have the BB installed, but the guy is now saying that my 111 bracket is too narrow for the frame and wants to sell me a 113 or 115.

I took a look at it last night and it is pretty damn close and the dude is saying once he tightens the bolts it'll rub.

Does anyone have any direct experience with this frame regarding BB lengths and Q-factor?

Are there any downsides to having an extremely tight clearance between the crank arms and stays?

I'm tempted to just tell him to use the 111 BB.
    Depends on the type of crankset you're running.
    • CommentAuthorkstang
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012

I'm planning to run a Campagnolo Record Track Crankset with 170mm Arms
    • CommentAuthorbettermade

highly doubt that, a 111mm should work or the mash is one messed up frame.

edit: https://velospace.org/node/40710

https://velospace.org/node/28882
    "Is anyone else running 170mm cranks on their 55cm mash? if so how close are your crank arms to hitting the actual frame?"
    • CommentAuthor2011

You have a 1,200 dollar frame and Campy Record cranks, and you don't even know that bottom bracket spindle length is specific to the CRANKS... not the FRAME? Whow.

As long as it's the correct bottom bracket for the Record cranks, it should be fine. If it's less than 3-4mm from the chainstays... I might advise different cranks or BB, due to flex.
    • CommentAuthorkstang

Posted By: 2011You have a 1,200 dollar frame and Campy Record cranks, and you don't even know that bottom bracket spindle length is specific to the CRANKS... not the FRAME? Whow.

As long as it's the correct bottom bracket for the Record cranks, it should be fine. If it's less than 3-4mm from the chainstays... I might advise different cranks or BB, due to flex.

I got the frame for $750, but I am new to bikes. That's true.

It looks like the Mash stays are thicker than traditional track bikes and I know for a fact that the Campy crank and BB match to a 111.

Benson and Bettermade- That was super helpful. It looks like it's definitely possible, but scary close. Sounds like a lot of dudes are planning to up the BB to a 115.

Appreciate all the help!

i wouldnt go with a 115, will give you a funny chainline unless you put a bunch of spacers behind the cog, or fiddle around with the cone spacers. instead i would try a 110mm miche primato BB, sure it's even smaller than 111, but you can adjust it around 5 mm's to make it work.
    Posted By: bettermadei wouldnt go with a 115, will give you a funny chainline unless you put a bunch of spacers behind the cog, or fiddle around with the cone spacers. instead i would try a 110mm miche primato BB, sure it's even smaller than 111, but you can adjust it around 5 mm's to make it work.

If you adjust it wouldnt the nds arm come closer and hit the chainstay?

i used an adjustable phil wood bb once on a pair of sugino 75's that wouldnt clear a frame.. i had 3mm's room on the non driveside and 0 on the driveside, got it at 1,5 at each side and it worked.. usually the driveside is closer.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Meh, just crimp the frame and call it a day

. . . i'm kidding, don't do that, get a new BB. You may just have to sacrifice a nice 42mm chainline to get it to fit.

How many teeth are on that chainring?

EDIT: 49t, sorry didnt look at the profile, unless this number of teeth has changed, i would suggest you get a new BB. But then again, i know i just barely cleared 46t on my mash when I rode it, so that 49t may be an issue.
    • CommentAuthorsoukietron

FFFFFUUUUUUUU indeed.
    • CommentAuthorkstang

Damn it. I'm definitely getting a new BB. Just don't know what size.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: kstangDamn it. I'm definitely getting a new BB. Just don't know what size.

safest bet is to buy 3 of different sizes, or just get a phil adjustable one.

Most LBS should be able to accurately help you determine what size if you need to
    • CommentAuthorveggie

YOU'RE A DONKEY
    • CommentAuthorponz27
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012 edited

I had the same problem. With the Campy BB and crankset on the Mash frame, the crank arms are like 1mm away from the chainstays on both sides. It's also noisy as hell like the chaineline is wrong.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012

Posted By: veggieYOU'RE A DONKEY

I AM NOT.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.