velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Alright... so I was thinking it would be cool to keep a thread going with bike related videos...

might as well start it off with a couple from my part of the world...

I posted this one in another thread, about our local track... which was shut down for 2 years, and we had to fight the city council to get it re-opened...

and another shot at the final cyclocross race of our 2011 'cross season.....

Cool TV add from Japan for Keirin racing...

some beautiful girls, mud and bikes.... what more could you want?

MORE beautiful girls, mud and bikes... (not to mention good music too!)

Francesco Moser riding that CRAZY bike for the hour record in 1985

• CommentAuthorkumotaki
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited

You know what, fuck Moser!
    • CommentAuthorTracker
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012

NOOOO!!! The Moser video won't load :'(
    Complete 1hr 32min 56sec "Sunday in Hell" from 1976... documenting the '76 Paris Roubaix, featuring Eddie Merckx and Roger de Vlaeminck

• CommentAuthorChris V

Awesome video on the 90s messenger scene in NY
    Anyone ever motorpaced before saw this a while ago and i wanna try it.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

I want that land rover defender so bad.
    • CommentAuthorkumotaki

Freakin' awesome promotion video for the 2010 "Gravel Metric". Not quite road race, not quite cyclo cross, the shit I like! I would so totally enjoy riding that one if I was living in the US!
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Posted By: adrian13346Anyone ever motorpaced before saw this a while ago and i wanna try it.

i've motorpaced behind my dad on the moped. we were doing 40 on flat ground. it was awesome.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: Haegan
    Posted By: adrian13346Anyone ever motorpaced before saw this a while ago and i wanna try it.

i've motorpaced behind my dad on the moped. we were doing 40 on flat ground. it was awesome.

You better trust that friend more than anyone you've ever trusted before or you are hitting a solid wall of metal at 50 if they decide to brake
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2012 edited

Posted By: Shaku

You better trust that friend more than anyone you've ever trusted before or you are hitting a solid wall of metal at 50 if they decide to brake

+1 the only other time i've done it was behind my friends dads truck trying to pace back into a group ride doin like 35. but find a good driver and a scooter or motorcycle feels safer because you can see ahead and its easier to get out from behind
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: R_o_b_s_o_nComplete 1hr 32min 56sec "Sunday in Hell" from 1976... documenting the '76 Paris Roubaix, featuring Eddie Merckx and Roger de Vlaeminck

In that vid, 2 things struck me, how recent has it been that the riders dont know how to fix their own bikes and require mechanics?

I know in the old Tour de France (like 1800s) they carried their own tubes and knew how to fix their own bikes

Also, is that the only reason bikers shave their legs? for massages?

Or does it actually serve an aerodynamic purpose?

I know physics states that air is a fluid, and as such, I know from 12 years of swimming, swimmers also shave their legs for aerodynamic purposes.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

leg shaving: massage oils, embrocation to keep out the cold/wet, easier to bandage/pick bits of road out of/clean, aerodynamics, much more comfortable under spandex, people think you're a noob if you dont
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: Haeganleg shaving: massage oils, embrocation to keep out the cold/wet, easier to bandage/pick bits of road out of/clean, aerodynamics, much more comfortable under spandex, people think you're a noob if you dont

Im asian, or at least half, its hard to grow hair man! I'm proud of my hair! LOL

but then again, i cant afford spandex, very expensive underwear lol
    aerodynamics are a non issue, that un-informed riders use to rationalize leg shaving to non-riders... there is seriously ZERO aerodynamic benefit from it... (it might make more of a difference in the pool...)

Primary reasons for Leg Shaving...
    Massaging pulls hair, and that hurts. Hands also move better on shaven skin...
    Bandaging in event of road rash
    Vanity... car guys like to make their cars shiny, so do cyclists...
    Tradition... it's something that cyclists have done for many years, it's a right of passage...

In the early years of the Tour, riders were not allowed to recieve outside help with their bikes... they had to make all their own repairs themselves... One of the early riders was actually disqualified because he broke his fork... He found a blacksmith in a town, and fixed his fork himself, but because he had some one else pump the bellows, it was deemed that he recieved outside help, and was therefore disqualified...
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: R_o_b_s_o_nIn the early years of the Tour, riders were not allowed to recieve outside help with their bikes... they had to make all their own repairs themselves... One of the early riders was actually disqualified because he broke his fork... He found a blacksmith in a town, and fixed his fork himself, but because he had some one else pump the bellows, it was deemed that he recieved outside help, and was therefore disqualified...

I've heard that story before, I really think that rule should be put back in.

I've walked into those high end bike stores, and have seen these men in suits walk in with a $1000+ dollar carbon CLINCHER wheelset, and ask to have the tire changed on it or ask why the tire feels "squishy" and not "hard" as it did when they first bought it (Seriously, I'm quoting those adjectives) Buy a goddamn pump and maybe you can get it to be as "hard" as the day it was when you bought it!

Its ridiculous. I could probably win the tour if that rule were in place now-a-days simply b/c i know how to fix my own damn bike.
    • CommentAuthormobrien
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012 edited

I used to work with a guy who didn't know how to patch a tube. He'd just pull out the damaged tube and drop in a new one. Needless to say...I'm set for tubes 'till the day I die.
    • CommentAuthorBummer
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012

Best thread ever!!
    • CommentAuthorscmalex
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012 edited

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.