velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So I'm in the market for a new road bike as my CAAD5 is a tad big for me, and was looking for either an affordable steel frame or carbon bike. Obviously the latter is going to be a little more costly. I'm currently considering between a Surly Pacer or All City Mr.Pink framesets as I can get them through a local shop here for a good price and maybe build it up with full Force. Not to mention I've heard good things about the Pacer. As for the Mr.Pink I'm liking the Columbus Zona tubing, hidden rack mounts, and internal brake routing. I'm leaning more towards steel because it tends to be more compliant and comfortable, but can allow for fairly aggressive race geometry. So I was curious as to what others are currently riding and would recommend and or what they've heard good things about. I'd preferably like to stay below the 1000 range for frameset + components or a complete bike altogether.
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012

what are you going to use it for?Personally I would get the pacer.I prefer steel frames.
    • CommentAuthorscmalex
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012 edited

What? Affordable? The All City is stupid expensive. You can get a custom tig frame for $900 these days, so $750 or whatever for one of those is ridiculous. Also, is a full Force build with one of those frames even possible for $1k?
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

Good luck finding a carbon frameset for under a grand. You could look into the Chinese eBay frames but I'm not sure if I would trust a 400 dollar frame. For a grand id spend a little more (maybe not thought) nd get some custom steel with really nice tubing. Then transfer all of the parts from your caad5 to the steel frame and then sell the caad5 frameset.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

i would definitely say keep your components and just get a new frame.
    Posted By: peazweagwhat are you going to use it for?Personally I would get the pacer.I prefer steel frames.

Well mostly doing group/solo distance rides, maybe an occasional tour. Kind of an all purpose bike.

Posted By: suicide_doorsWhat? Affordable? The All City is stupid expensive. You can get a custom tig frame for $900 these days, so $750 or whatever for one of those is ridiculous. Also, is a full Force build with one of those frames even possible for $1k?

I forgot to mention that I work at a bike shop and so the Pacer & Mr. Pink are both cheap as far as EP discounts go. 1000 is ideal, but if i have to go over a little bit that would be the worst thing in the world depending on how much, for example 1,500 wouldn't be too bad.

Posted By: gbrkctGood luck finding a carbon frameset for under a grand. You could look into the Chinese eBay frames but I'm not sure if I would trust a 400 dollar frame. For a grand id spend a little more (maybe not thought) nd get some custom steel with really nice tubing. Then transfer all of the parts from your caad5 to the steel frame and then sell the caad5 frameset.

Yeah I've heard both sides for those, and am not entirely sure if I want to go that route, although I will admit the idea/price sounds intriguing.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Dolan has a few carbon frames under a grand. Just have another tab/window open with a currency converter.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

what brands does your shop deal aside from the stuff you can get from QBP? going with a complete is always going to be more cost effective than building up from a frameset
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Haegangoing with a complete is always going to be more cost effective than building up from a frameset

That's the boring option.

We need a headcount of how many people work at a bike shop.

*raises hand slowly*
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

*looks around and raises hand as well...*
    Posted By: Haeganwhat brands does your shop deal aside from the stuff you can get from QBP? going with a complete is always going to be more cost effective than building up from a frameset

They carry Specialized, Cannondale, and Cervelo. But with that it's either spend more money on a fairly decent set up 105/Rival and up or get a cheaper complete with mid to low grade components which I would just swap out later arriving to the same initial cost.
    • CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2012

*sadly, doesn't raise hand*
    • CommentAuthorchku

*Raised hand*
    I prefer steel, but the only steel road bikes we sell are low-end tourers. I think the whole Focus range and the CAAD10-5 are the best value new bikes in Australia.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

dang you guys!! its hard to get a job here in a bike shop here in Canada.

When winter comes around, a majority of the staff gets wacked

but then in summer, the same people get rehired again . . .
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

you could get a complete caad 10 with rival for under 1500 with ep pricing i'm sure. honestly rival/105 and up is not all that different if it were me i'd go for a caad ten rival or maybe a synapse 105 if you want endurance geo or an Allez with apex for under a grand
    Yeah I mean I was hoping to go either the steel or carbon route and try something new since I'm already riding an aluminum frame now. But I suppose if it's more cost effective to go with that then I'll go with that route.
    • CommentAuthorchku

Kona Honky Inc, or Honky Tonk with upgraded group? Not very glam but fits the bill.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.