velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorkumotaki
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

I don't know much about hydraulic brakes, and probably know even less about fully hydraulic rim brakes for TT bikes. Is that supposed to be sexy? They do look so, but at the same time they're about the weight (and price) of a full Dura-Ace setup. No gain here.
    So, it seems they make sense for TT bikes and their wacky streamlined cable routing but I was just wondering about their viability for normal road bikes. What's the superiority of hydraulic vs classic brakes, if any? Note that these are NOT disc brakes. Any idea?
    • CommentAuthorTracker
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012

Wow that cervelo is so sexy
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012

there was/is a thread on bikeforums about these. The only problem I can think of is using these and sti/ergos. There was a forum I was looking at where some dude was attempting to make hydraulic brake/shift levers with a pair of stis(although for discs)
    • CommentAuthorscmalex
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited

i always thought hydraulic rim brakes were for trials bikes and vintage dh bikes. They look rad as hell, but i doubt they will catch on, since they haven't in the past. I think the future of bicycle brakes is disc brakes, and people are already working on that for road bikes.

hydraulic=more power, better lever feel and depending on the setup better modulation.

Posted By: veggieThere was a forum I was looking at where some dude was attempting to make hydraulic brake/shift levers with a pair of stis(although for discs)

shimano makes them
    http://www.cycleclubsports.com/p-72011-shimano-lx-sti-fhydraulic-brakes-m585-hydraulic-brake-sti-9s.aspx
    Uh, no. STI has come to mean integrated shift and brake levers, regardless of discipline. That lever is for a hydra disc brake on a flat bar.
    • CommentAuthorscmalex
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2012 edited

Posted By: suicide_doorsUh, no. STI has come to mean integrated shift and brake levers, regardless of discipline. That lever is for a hydra disc brake on a flat bar.

uh, no. read the description: "9 speed STI"
    Yeah, like I said, STI has come to mean integrated shiter and brake lever for any system, not just for road. Here are those levers in practice:

• CommentAuthorscmalex

Posted By: suicide_doorsYeah, like I said, STI has come to mean integrated shiter and brake lever for any system, not just for road.

so wait... what was the "uh, no" for? haha
    sorry about that...
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: veggiesti/ergos.

so in context that would mean road levers
    • CommentAuthor1gear

Thread steal the future is Di2. Rode a Bike with it the other day and it is sweet. I will be the 1st to admit that people need electric shift like I need another set of rims, not! But it does shift crisply and precisely it should for the price.
    • CommentAuthornewforker

electronic shifting is the way of the future hands down, first da di2 then ui2..now sr eps and rec eps..plus athena eps coming in a few months. the trickle down effect is in full force, 5 - 10 years from now no top end road bike will be without electronic shifting or hydraulic brakes/disc brakes
    • CommentAuthorbettermade
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012

dont think hydraulic brakes or disc braking ever becoming popular in the peloton, so i dont think the big brands will start producing hydraulic brake road bikes. disc brakes are only allowed in mountainbiking and cyclocross, and when in the peloton you cant really modulate with hydraulic brakes/disc brakes, it would cause a lot more accidents.

the magura tt was only made because of its light weight (TT bikes are heavy) and braking on TT bikes is really shitty, because of the flimsy brake levers.
    • CommentAuthornewforker

Posted By: bettermadedont think hydraulic brakes or disc braking ever becoming popular in the peloton, so i dont think the big brands will start producing hydraulic brake road bikes. disc brakes are only allowed in mountainbiking and cyclocross, and when in the peloton you cant really modulate with hydraulic brakes/disc brakes, it would cause a lot more accidents.

the magura tt was only made because of its light weight (TT bikes are heavy) and braking on TT bikes is really shitty, because of the flimsy brake levers.

you dont know what your talking about
    • CommentAuthorscmalex

Posted By: bettermadedont think hydraulic brakes or disc braking ever becoming popular in the peloton, so i dont think the big brands will start producing hydraulic brake road bikes. disc brakes are only allowed in mountainbiking and cyclocross, and when in the peloton you cant really modulate with hydraulic brakes/disc brakes, it would cause a lot more accidents.

they are developing smaller rotors and different mechanisms for road brakes to prevent wheel lock up and improve modulation. trust me... its going to happen. just like 12 speed cassettes and electronic shifting.
    • CommentAuthorbettermade
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012 edited

Posted By: newforker

you dont know what your talking about

hit me up with a message when you see a road pro on hydraulic discs somewhere in 2046.

discs are allowed in cx now, ive only seen one pro rider in america; tim johnson riding discs, no euro pro has even thought about it yet.
    Hydraulic, integrated, and internally routed. This will be a nightmare. But Capitalism must create the want in your mind. I'm sure they work great but that bike looks like it's just gonna piss your mechanic off at the LBS when the local Cat 2 "superstar" walks in and expects brake work to be done in 5 minutes.
    • CommentAuthorelhephe
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012

I'm pretty sure the only reason that tons of cross people don't have discs is because it takes a year or two for frame manufacturers to catch up to the new rule. I'm pretty sure that most manufacturers don't want to develop a disc compatible frameset only to have the uci decide that disc brakes will never go on a bike with skinny tires.

disc brakes make a ton of sense for road cycling, especially with carbon rims being the norm, and their sketchy at best braking.

Also if you think about it, a ton of pros have to stick wrenches and shit to their bikes just to make weight, couldn't those grams be better spent on a better, albiet heavier braking system?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.