velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorFTMG
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009

i was thinking about putting a 650c front on my 50cm kilo. not for barspins but for clearance. when i trackstand or turn tight the pedals rub the tire. its super dangerous. will the 650 help with that clearance, or is the geometry so tight that it wont matter? thanks in advance.
    i believe so
    • CommentAuthoradriano

Posted By: FTMG its super dangerous.

its not. deal.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

called toe overlap. if you're trackstanding and pedals are rubbing your tire, you're probably not doing it correctly.

front wheel turned towards your rear? or your front foot?
    • CommentAuthorgiosSR215

i turn my front wheel towards my back foot but i learned how to TS backwards because it was easier for me. haha.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

that balance point just seems awkward. kinda like bmx kids who ride left foot forward and right side pegs...
    • CommentAuthorgiosSR215

yeah the other one is awkward for me. oh well too each their own. anyone have any campy parts :) I'm doing a rebuild and need campy parts.
    • CommentAuthorFTMG

thanks guys. i just need to settle down and take my time to learn it correctly. and i shouldnt have said dangerous...i shoulda just said it sucks ass. haha. thanks again.
    Posted By: the rabbithat balance point just seems awkward. kinda like bmx kids who ride left foot forward and right side pegs...

Hey! That's me!
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: RideEveryday
    Posted By: the rabbithat balance point just seems awkward. kinda like bmx kids who ride left foot forward and right side pegs...

Hey! That's me!
    wierdo
    • CommentAuthorEDGE

what size toe clips do you use
    cuz i had toe overlap and i went from large cages to mediums
    and that cleared it up
    and now not to mention i shortened my crank arms
    • CommentAuthoredgar1
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009

to clear you need a 650 on the front and some s/m toe straps
    Posted By: EDGEwhat size toe clips do you use
    cuz i had toe overlap and i went from large cages to mediums
    and that cleared it up
    and now not to mention i shortened my crank arms

That's usually the best way to fix it. 165mm crank arms and Medium cages will often get rid of toe overlap on most track frames. If not get rid of it at least cut it down a bit.
    I'm confused, like others, on why you'd have that doing trackstands. Seem like you're turning the wheel in the opposite direction as most people. Give the other direction a shot, you might find it easier to keep up.

Posted By: edgar1to clear you need a 650 on the front and some s/m toe straps

Wrong
    If you have a hard time with your pedals hitting front wheel when you trackstand, just wait til your pedals are hitting the ground when you take turns because your front end is dropped an inch
    Posted By: upthemaidenIf you have a hard time with your pedals hitting front wheel when you trackstand, just wait til your pedals are hitting the ground when you take turns because your front end is dropped an inch

Ahhhh game, set, match. Keep the 700 dude. :)
    Posted By: the rabbi
    Posted By: RideEveryday

Hey! That's me!
    wierdo

"weirdo"
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

i before e except after c and in weird words like weird.
    Posted By: wes m.i before e except after c and in weird words like weird.

Oh what the hell, that was my exact comment that you only beat me with because I had to log in
    • CommentAuthorchuck
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009

Posted By: upthemaidenIf you have a hard time with your pedals hitting front wheel when you trackstand, just wait til your pedals are hitting the ground when you take turns because your front end is dropped an inch

650 front wheel will not drop your front end an inch. he would still have a 700c fork.

FTMG if you're not used to toe overlap try powergrips, they are just large wide straps instead of using a clip/strap combo. you'll get used to it eventually either way.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

i would drop the front on the bike an inch...

700mm wheel to a 650mm wheel
    50mm difference in the diameter of the rim, so 25mm difference in the radius.
    25.4mm = 1in.

presto!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.