velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorelios61cm
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011

I ride my track bike every day, usually between eight and twenty miles. I've bought Levis' commuter jeans, and they're okay, but I'd like to buy bibs and a jersey for my serious rides. My roommate, who only dicks around on his fixed gear when he isn't on his road bike, is convinced that I'd look like a jackass. This is me being insecure, but disregard that for a second and let me hear your opinions. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorelios61cm

Oh! let me add that the spandex/lycra would really only be worn on rides 20 miles and longer.
    I ride in bibs and jersey all the time... Sounds like it's your room mate who's insecure... If you ride in bibs and jersey you won't look like just another 'hipster on a fixie'...
    What? That seems like a really simple, common sense dictated question. If you're riding to ride, wear a kit. If you're riding to get somewhere and not look like a tool afterward, don't. Problem solved.
    I only ride with bibs and a jersey when I use clipless pedals on my track bike. I would feel like an ass if I were wearing normal shoes (like a few kids I have seen)
    Posted By: johnthaddeus(like a few kids I have seen)

God damn kids.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

spandex all the way. anytime i'm really riding even if it's at the beach with my family.
    • CommentAuthorkumotaki
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012 edited

Posted By: suicide_doorsWhat? That seems like a really simple, common sense dictated question. If you're riding to ride, wear a kit. If you're riding to get somewhere and not look like a tool afterward, don't. Problem solved.

There's no best answer.
    If you're point is riding for a long time, bibs and jersey will be far more comfortable. Whatever the bike, be it fixed, road, touring or mtb.
    I actually wear cycling shorts under my shorts... I usually stop somewhere for a beer or randomly meet up with friends. But I guess that's not really the same kid of riding is it.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012

I've seen a popular style that many messengers here in toronto wear is like soukie said is by wearing bibs under their shorts (usually capri/knickers) and a jersey on top.

You not only are comfortable, but from my opinion, you look really awesome! I would rock that style if i could afford bibs and jerseys :(
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012

Posted By: ShakuI've seen a popular style that many messengers here in toronto wear is like soukie said is by wearing bibs under their shorts (usually capri/knickers) and a jersey on top.

Or jeans, or regular ol' pants (with strappy things/rubberbands/Velcro/whatever), as the case may be.

You not only are comfortable, but from my opinion, you look really awesome! I would rock that style if i could afford bibs and jerseys :(

That's the primary reason for wearing the stretchy stuff, one that you young bucks may not appreciate yet. The compression on your big muscles (the quadriceps, mostly) while you're stressing them makes those muscles feel better. When you get older and everything hurts a little all the time, comfort counts.

You'd be surprised how cheap this stuff can be gotten at swaps/kitchens/yard sales/CL/eBay etc. My first stretchy stuff was gotten several years ago at a CL sale where a woman was selling off all her recently deceased husband's bike gear. She sold me a grocery bag of stuff including an Assos bibpant with stirrups and several longsleeve merino jerseys for $10. She also offered me a touring-rigged Klein for $100, if I took it right away; I was a greenhorn on road stuff then, and I refused it because the frame was too big. I could have parted that thing out for a lot of money if I'd known what I was looking at - XT rear, Dura Ace 9-speed barcons, Nuovo Record triple crank. Hell, I've spent more than $100 just buying the same components.

Keep your eyes open; stuff turns up.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012

Posted By: eaglerockYou'd be surprised how cheap this stuff can be gotten at swaps/kitchens/yard sales/CL/eBay etc. My first stretchy stuff was gotten several years ago at a CL sale where a woman was selling off all her recently deceased husband's bike gear. She sold me a grocery bag of stuff including an Assos bibpant with stirrups and several longsleeve merino jerseys for $10.

I have always bought used stuff since I was little, but would never buy used underwear.

I sort of placed bibs in the same category, as they are rubbing right against another dude's junk.

Is it actually OK to get this used stuff with no issue? I assume put it through the washing machine a couple of times?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012 edited

Posted By: ShakuIs it actually OK to get this used stuff with no issue? I assume put it through the washing machine a couple of times?

Have you ever bought used shoes? Have you ever looked at people's feet? They're disgusting, and people mostly don't de-spooge the insides of their shoes.

Washing machines are quite miraculous. Unless Another Dude has radioactive junk ( a la Toxic Avenger!*), I kinda think the miracle mechanism and appropriate inorganic cleansing chemicals will make said dude's junk-cooties curl up and die, and be washed into the sewage system.

* http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi654836761/
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: ShakuIs it actually OK to get this used stuff with no issue? I assume put it through the washing machine a couple of times?

Have you ever bought used shoes? Have you everlookedat people's feet? They're disgusting, and people mostly don't de-spooge the insides of their shoes.

Washing machines are quite miraculous. Unless Another Dude has radioactive junk (a laToxic Avenger!*), I kinda think the miracle mechanism and appropriate inorganic cleansing chemicals will make said dude's junk-cooties curl up and die, and be washed into the sewage system.

*http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi654836761/

Never have bought used shoes lol only new shoes for that reason lol

well, i may give it a shot if i could ever find reasonably priced gears. Ppl here in toronto think 65 for a pair of shorts is great used . . .
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: ShakuNever have bought used shoes lol only new shoes for that reason lol

Sadly, if you're buying old-skool toeclip shoes...there aren't any new ones, and certainly not in normal North American He-Man Dude sizes. I keep my eyes open for US10/Euro 44s, and I count myself lucky when I find them.

The burdens of retro-fetishism...
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012

I have some Vittoria shoes that may fit if you have narrow feet.

• CommentAuthorkumotaki
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012 edited

Posted By: eaglerock
    Sadly, if you're buying old-skool toeclip shoes...there aren't any new ones, and certainly not in normal North American He-Man Dude sizes. I keep my eyes open for US10/Euro 44s, and I count myself lucky when I find them.

The burdens of retro-fetishism...

Vittoria Shoes still make some really nice retro-looking shoes, as well as Dromarti (to name but two). Up to size 47. Made in Italia. Beautiful leather. Priced accordingly.
    Speaking about Dromarti, they make "traditional" cleats that you can screw to any 3-screws road cycling shoes (Shimano SPD-SL, Look) to use them with toe clips.

Vittoria (Check under Products/Vintage World): http://www.vittoria-shoes.com/
    Dromarti cleats: http://www.dromarti.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=18
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

Posted By: Shaku
    Posted By: eaglerockYou'd be surprised how cheap this stuff can be gotten at swaps/kitchens/yard sales/CL/eBay etc. My first stretchy stuff was gotten several years ago at a CL sale where a woman was selling off all her recently deceased husband's bike gear. She sold me a grocery bag of stuff including an Assos bibpant with stirrups and several longsleeve merino jerseys for $10.

I have always bought used stuff since I was little, but would never buy used underwear.

I sort of placed bibs in the same category, as they are rubbing right against another dude's junk.

Is it actually OK to get this used stuff with no issue? I assume put it through the washing machine a couple of times?

Never assume!
    • CommentAuthorBrannigan

Do assume. Besides, do most of you actually have the money to buy ALL of your gear new? I don't. If it is something besides underwear, I am glad to buy used. Fuck paying a corporation for my goods at their prices. Tires, gloves, and underwear are what I buy new... unless I get a very very good deal.
    • CommentAuthorBummer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012

I work in a thrift store and have dibs on all cycling clothing that comes through those doors. I get about 90% of it and have never had any problems, I just wash it before using.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.