velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011

Currently, I'm running a Pac Design Pro Lite Small (as seen here: http://www.pacdesigns.com/feb11/pro.html)

It's unfortunately a bit small for my needs, but the most amazing bag ever!! Waterproof, durable, comfortable (when on the bike)

I've found messenger bags made for cycling are not ideal for walking with (duh! :P)

Soo i'm looking for a larger backpack for my needs.

I would like to get another Pac Design but they apparently won't be done working on their backpack until after new years, until then, no news on what it will look like (not the EMS bags they sell)

So these are my needs:

- Larger (all the suggestions below are 2000 cu. inches and up)
    - Waterproof (the drier, the better)
    - Durable (Last me throughout the ages of rigorous daily use of commuting and carrying everything I need for the day and also for weekend trips)

What are some opinions and suggestions y'all may have?

Here are 3 I've narrowed it down to, but maybe there are others you may suggest.

(I personally want to avoid Chrome due to the lack of durability I've found with their shoes and the uncomfortable nature of their bags)

All are in approximately the same price range and size with the positives and negatives I can think of:

Has to be ordered. Handmade in USA. Positive reviews.
    http://missionworkshop.com/products/bags/backpacks/rucksack/fitzroy.php

Toronto Based (where I live), Choice of color, can be had immediately (new to making bags, but initial reviews are positive)
    http://www.ynotcycle.com/products/the-gulper/

(Silver one) Not bike specific, and not very organize friendly, just one giant pocket with a non-waterproof outer smaller pocket. But cheaper than the rest. Completely waterproof otherwise.
    http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/surf-packs/cyclone-roll-top
    I've had a few messengers from Chrome and they were good, but obviously not the best for walking (as you pointed out). I wouldn't say Chrome's bags aren't durable though, I've had one for about four years and it's still a daily beater without any functionality issues (minus the velcro is starting to wear out).
    I just picked up a medium Mission Workshop about six months ago and for the most part it's amazing. Great for big, oversized and heavy loads, but also great for a small load since it shrinks and expands very easily. My only issue is that it's not the most comfortable to ride if you have a steeper geometry (or try to ride in a "pursuit" style) since it does ride up (they sell a belt which might help out with that). But I use a messenger bag for those bike days.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: johnthaddeusI've had a few messengers from Chrome and they were decent. I just picked up a medium Mission Workshop about six months ago and for the most part it's amazing. Great for big, oversized and heavy loads, but also great for a small load since it shrinks and expands very easily. My only issue is that it's not the most comfortable to ride if you have a steeper geometry (or try to ride in a "pursuit" style) since it does ride up (they sell a belt which might help out with that). But I use a messenger bag for those bike days.

Thanks for the tip on chrome, but after one bad experience, i prefer not to gamble with that much money.

Thanks for the tips on mission workshop, I assume you are referring to the Rambler model?
    Posted By: ShakuRambler model

yeah the rambler. I had the berlin from Chrome (largest size) and it was too big for any day to day situation, so I figured to get the medium Mission since it does get really compact when needed.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011 edited

Posted By: johnthaddeus
    Posted By: ShakuRambler model

yeah the rambler. I had the berlin from Chrome (largest size) and it was too big for any day to day situation, so I figured to get the medium Mission since it does get really compact when needed.

Kewl, good to know, only issue for me is there's no store nearby that carries them :(

Any other comments on the options or ideas?
    • CommentAuthoruhler

great thread! i need a new backpack as well (i've beaten the shit out of my Elemet Mohave) though none of your bags posted are my style or within my price range, i hope to see some that will suit me better, thanks!
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

I have a Freight Baggage backpack. It does everything I want it to do and then some. I don't think Travis was totally done with it before he sent it out though. But it's pretty awesome.
    http://freightbaggage.org/

I've also got a Mission Workshops Rummy. So while I can't speak for the backpacks, I can that their mess bags are top notch, quality wise. I've seen the Rambler up close, and it looks pretty awesome. Don't know what it's like to ride with, but again, the quality is top notch. The zippered expandability is an awesome feature.
    • CommentAuthorsoukietron

I was eyeballing this for a while: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/hemlock-backpack
    It may not be the coolest looking backpack, but it seems to be reasonable in terms of function vs price.
    It seems like it's lacking some organizational tools and the seams don't look THAT tape seamed. For a bill versus however two hundos and some change...

ALSO... what a ridiculous video for the MW Fitzroy Rucksack.

I have a D-Lux messenger bag that I've been using for work and riding my bike for three and a half years. Still holding strong. I trust Timbuk2.
    • CommentAuthorsoukietron

Posted By: stalag13
    http://freightbaggage.org/

"DUE TO OVERWHELMING DEMAND, WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY TAKING NEW ORDERS. PLEASE TRY BACK EARLY FEBRUARY.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT."

hahahahaha teh l33tsauce.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: soukietronI was eyeballing this for a while:http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/hemlock-backpack
    It may not be the coolest looking backpack, but it seems to be reasonable in terms of function vs price.
    It seems like it's lacking some organizational tools and the seams don't look THAT tape seamed. For a bill versus however two hundos and some change...

I have a D-Lux messenger bag that I've been using for work and riding my bike for three and a half years. Still holding strong. I trust Timbuk2.

Ooh thanks for pointing this one out, seems like a good contender, but i really need my bag to be waterproof as i ride regardless of the weather and need something to keep my stuff dry :(
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

whoops. well, keep it in mind if you're still looking in February.
    What happened to ridding with a regular book bag ? I've been riding/longboarding and going to school with a north face recon for a year and a half and it hasn't failed me yet still looks new if I wash it every now and then.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: adrian13346What happened to ridding with a regular book bag ? I've been riding/longboarding and going to school with a north face recon for a year and a half and it hasn't failed me yet still looks new if I wash it every now and then.

Waterproofness :(
    • CommentAuthorscmalex

i cant really speak for ynot's bags, but tom is an expert and produces some good shit. the ynot straps are probably the best out there, and i can imagine their bags being quite nice as well.

that being said, my friend has the chrome rolltop and uses it every day in the snow in saint paul minnesota. he loves that bag.
    Waterproofness is for sissy's (no offence) what are you carrying that you need a waterproof bag for?
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: scmalexi cant really speak for ynot's bags, but tom is an expert and produces some good shit. the ynot straps are probably the best out there, and i can imagine their bags being quite nice as well.

that being said, my friend has the chrome rolltop and uses it every day in the snow in saint paul minnesota. he loves that bag.

Hmm maybe i'll see if a retailer has some chrome backpacks in stock i can check out.

My bad experience was with their messenger bags. The strapping system just shoves the stuff you have in your bag straight into your back if you have it fully packed. Pac designs nicely suspends your bag.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: adrian13346Waterproofness is for sissy's (no offence) what are you carrying that you need a waterproof bag for?

My laptop and all my books and papers.

a spare change of close for said wet day.

And ionno how getting something thats waterproof that smartly protects your stuff is sissy :S
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Posted By: adrian13346What happened to ridding with a regular book bag ? I've been riding/longboarding and going to school with a north face recon for a year and a half and it hasn't failed me yet still looks new if I wash it every now and then.

I have 3 north face backpacks,a recon that ive had for 5 or 6 years, a water proof north face don't know the name and a surge backpack that I mostly use for school and stuff.

Posted By: Shaku

My laptop and all my books and papers.

a spare change of close for said wet day.

And ionno how getting something thats waterproof that smartly protects your stuff is sissy :S

Yeah dont want to get that stuff wet. Has anyone seen a gore-tex backpack? That is not made for backpacking or hiking and looks "normal".
    • CommentAuthorTracker

^Quote fail, that rambler looks REALLY nice. I don't like chrome backpacks either. I had one but I didn't like it at all so I gave it to my older brother, but I got it for free so no loss.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: Tracker^Quote fail, that rambler looks REALLY nice. I don't like chrome backpacks either. I had one but I didn't like it at all so I gave it to my older brother, but I got it for free so no loss.

It does! but i was just reading some review that said the roll up part wasn't waterproof.

Can anyone confirm this?

I'm thinking I may just get the fitzroy as the smallest part of the Rambler is too small for my needs, and the expanded part I just dont like the look that much and its too large for my needs.

Too many doo-hickys on the Rambler me thinks. So the Fitzroy may be perfect :)

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.