velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

What are your thoughts?

http://www.bikeschool.com/
    • CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009 edited

I bet it would surely look good on a resume, however I figure there is little better than real hands on work in a shop. That’s not to say that there is no use in learning “the right way” at a professional school though. It’s one of those chicken & egg things to me.
    Would you rather have a certified builder work on your house, or someone that may just be good at it? Is it worth the cost? Will you get your time and money out of this school down the road? These would be questions I would have to explore before laying down my money these days...
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009

There are a couple trade schools around the northeast like this, they seem a bit smaller and more direct industry driven. The best way for a technical school like this to work is for it to have the same marketing platform as Devry, or any other satellite campus school. Meaning that they estabilish a primary campus and then throughout the US set up various satellite campuses in major cities.
    The tuition issue is also an interesting one.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

i went to barnett's. only thing i found helpful was the supension class. but i also didn't pay for it.
    Personally I am interested in their frame building classes, as a hobby not a career. My main concern with UBI is the price.

Please let me know if you know of any other school that teach the same type of skills.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

if you're going for frames, go to yamaguchi.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

The frame building classes look pretty cool
    Posted By: the rabbiif you're going for frames, go to yamaguchi.

You are right Yamaguchi is far more superior.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

The ability to obtain shop tools at wholesale through UBI after course completion seems like a plus
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

doug fattic > yamaguchi for a frame building class. of course, this is all open for debate, but i did extensive research for awhile on that, and talked to ALOT of people about it, mostly career framebuilders, and that is the recommendation i got from them. alot had done fattic, yamaguchi, and the ubi class.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.