velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorslentz
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

Duhhh... let's see what is the question here? a brake on a bike on the road.... hummm... gee...... that's a tough one don't you think???
    • CommentAuthordas_pyrate
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

late to the party much?
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009

pwnd
    as for brakes, call me weak if you may, but Im not getting any younger, 37 and want to save my knees so I use both front and rear brakes... plus I like to go fast and on more than half a dozen times I have had to brake abruptly to avoid a very bad crash; so they have saved me.... many fixies around Melb don’t have any brakes at all. Couriers, I guess they are one with their bike more, but all others ive seen go at about the speed of your granny on a mobility scooter, looking HIP, so slowing down is easy. Skidding; if your going fast you need abit of distance till you stop so you’re still going to crash into that car, person etc
    This is soooooooooo 2009. Oh wait............
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011

ctrl-f "zen" not found
    • CommentAuthoruhler

Brakes are generally good for stopping and such...
    lol deermatt
    • CommentAuthorveggie

wut?
    • CommentAuthorlui4

If you decide to ride Brakeless plan ahead "think 20 seconds ahead" and learn how to skid with both left foot forward and right foot forward and you should be able to stop instantly
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

skidding ≠ stoppig instantly.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

You really dont need to skid if riding brakeless. Just slow down your pedaling once you come close to where you need to stop skidding while sitting down is just for emergencies where you need to stop as soon as possible. My friend does this type of skid where you whip your bike to the side alot and he stops with 2 to 3 seconds and only skids for like 5 feet
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Posted By: Chris V My friend does this type of skid where you whip your bike to the side alot and he stops with 2 to 3 seconds and only skids for like 5 feet

I did that on my lo pro i had the back washed out and I ate it. I only kick the back out a little bit, mostly keep it strait.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: Tracker
    Posted By: Chris VMy friend does this type of skid where you whip your bike to the side alot and he stops with 2 to 3 seconds and only skids for like 5 feet

I did that on my lo pro i had the back washed out and I ate it. I only kick the back out a little bit, mostly keep it strait.

He used to ride dirt bikes and its similar to a move dirt bike riders use on turns
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Oh I see I just figured he kick the back out alot.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011 edited

jeez, just let the thread die already. go have this talk in your "room" thread.
    • CommentAuthorTracker
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011

The room is for NON bike related stuff which that hasnt worked, but i do agree why bring the thread back if you want brakes get them if you dont dont get them.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: Chris VYou really dont need to skid if riding brakeless. Just slow down your pedaling once you come close to where you need to stop skidding while sitting down is just for emergencies where you need to stop as soon as possible. My friend does this type of skid where you whip your bike to the side alot and he stops with 2 to 3 seconds and only skids for like 5 feet
    and this is after slowing down from way far back. or you can just get a brake and stop with ease while still going faster between stops.
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011 edited

Posted By: the rabbi
    Posted By: FTMGI believe that ifyou'regonna ride a track bike, you should learn from the get go how to ride without brakes first. Brakes to me are a cop out to not learn correctly. Give it your best shot first, then put a brake ifyou'renot comfortable. Not to say that riding with a brake is wack, but too many people start off with brakes and never have the balls to try it any other way. Its just my opinion. Take it or leave it. Let the shit talking begin. haha
    if you're gonna ride a fucking track bike, ride it on the fucking track. learn with a brake so you don't kill yourself or anyone else.

last weekend i was in san diego and i turned left onto this street so me and my friend could get on the dock. some kid on his brakeless fixed gear with a 650 spin tubular front wheel came darting out of the alley and t-boned me because he couldn't fucking stop. i twisted my ankle a little bit, and he shrugged his shoulders and said, "... fixed gears, eh?"
    that kid who hit you would have had to get my foot removed from his ass if he would have hit me
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: peazweag
    Posted By: the rabbishrugged his shoulders and said, "... fixed gears, eh?"

See? There are advantages to zombie thread resuscitation. Sometimes an essential truth is posted just a few posts/years above.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.