velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMike Fargo
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

Friends; Has anyone tried attaching a rubber sole to a Sidi Genius Road shoe? I love the Sidi Genius road shoe, plenty of toe space and very comfortable,but I'm not into clipping in. I mostly tour around so need to be able to walk in shoes. Sure could use some ideas!! Thanks 8 Ball REAL STEEL FRICTION SHIFT and LOOSE BEARINGS
    • CommentAuthortreehugger
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

Sidi makes some mtb shoes that are much more walking friendly, the Dragon 3, the Spider, the Dominator 5, and the Diablo.
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011

I was thinking on the lines of a cobbler and having a thin rubber sole permanately attached. Any thoughts?
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011

So you are thinking of taking an expensive clipless shoe, attaching a rubber sole to it, and using it as you would any other normal, non-clipless shoe?

Seems silly
    Seems?
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011

NOT SILLY Ti-Condular fracture right elbow, surgery pins,screws, all kindsof hardware. Happened when I coundn't clip out coming home from ride in my own driveway. My surgeon told me he gets AT LEAST 10 to 12 of these kind of accidents a year. Told me clipless pedals have made him a rich man. You make the call.
    • CommentAuthorbettermade

lower spring tension, practice, dont be clumsy (Y)
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011 edited

I still don't understand why you want to wear these shoes instead of any other non-clipless shoe. What's the point? It is kinda silly...

I explained earlier , wider lasts, larger toebox, no hot spots, easy to adjust, just a GOOD cycling shoe, etc.,etc.,etc., I ride about 100 to 120 miles aweek not counting commuting 40miles a week. I just want to know if the idea is feasable not an evaulation on my dexterity.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

There are bike specific (read: stiff-soled) non-clipless shoes out there...

I dave tried many different shoes mountain bike style shoes easy to walk in work well on bike,reasonably stiff sole, I use POWERGRIPS on my pedals (MKS touring) I have also a pair of KEENS a little too wide to slip into POWERGRIPS. If you have a specific shoe I'm all ears. Just thinking outside the box! Boy how did man ever fly? By the way I already have the SIDIS just trying to utilize them.
    • CommentAuthortreehugger
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011

I would just buy the mtb Sidi's....You can get them with the same fit, and it will be the right shoe.

I would feel stupid if I fell from my altered shoe getting stuck and needed that same surgery on the other side.

I have worked in shops for years(I just bought my own too), and whenever I talk to a customer about clip less I tell them that they ARE GOING TO FALL. If they don't fall, they are rockstars. Usually people get hurt if they fall with the knee or elbow out. If you fall on your side with your knees and elbows in, you are less likely to injury yourself.

Proper maintenance of your pedal/cleat system also makes it so your less likely to have a failure to un-clip.
    So you literally didn't think to practice clipless pedals before you went out, caused yourself somehow grievous physical injuries, and now want to make a set of road shoes into a set of mountain shoes? Zuh?

100-120 miles per week is not really that much mileage and can easily done with a set of cheap mountain shoes and some more platformed mountain pedals such as ATACs or Candies.
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011

Did you actually fall the first time you used the clipless? With clipless pedals I literally sit stationary for 20 mins, clip and unclip repeatedly to loosen them up and ensure they are ready before I ever take them to the street. Some pedals need more tlc, like Speedplay.

And by the way, the only place I've ever fallen is in the driveway as well. It's occurred after rides when my body is fatigued and I lose stability bc I can't clip out fast enough. It happens, and you keep going.

It seems that I'm not getting my point across. I am not going to use clip-in pedals, I use touring style platform pedals with either TRADITIONAL TOE CLIPS or POWERGRIP straps. I already own a pair of 200$ Sidis road shoes I would like to use them instead of purchasing a new pair of shoes. I just want to know if anyone has ever (glued,vulcanized,stitched) a thin rubber sole to the bottom of a road shoe. This will make the shoe easier and safer to walk in. Thanks Mike
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Just sell your sidis, Comfortable shoes and you will have a bit more extra cash.
    It's quite hard to sell them though.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011 edited

People get what you're trying to do. What people don't get is why. There are plenty of stiff soled shoes that are appropriate for platform pedals, and more comfortable too.

I don't think you're going to find anybody that's done what you want to do, because no one buys a pair of Sidi Genius' to ride with platforms. If you're set on this, go to a cobbler and see what they say.
    • CommentAuthorbobfike

If you can find a sole you'd want, just cut it off and glue it on with some good ol' fashioned E-6000. Clamp it, leave it for a day or so, should hold up fine.

A friend of mine has been re-soling the rubber on a pair of his shoes in this way for more than a decade. Works much better than one would expect.
    • CommentAuthorbettermade
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011 edited

i use rubber repair (liquid rubber) on my cyclocross tires to make them weather proof.

altho its silly as f*ck what you want to do;

you can use rubber repair as glue to glue some parts of an old really wide mountainbike tire on the bottom of your sidi, finally use the bolts of the shoes to finally secure the rubber. you can layer remove it all easily without leaving any marks.
    • CommentAuthorkumotaki

Actually, it's not hard to glue a rubber sole to any shoe. Just use contact cement. It's quite strong, so the sole won't come off that easily, but it is not like you couldn't take it away if you don't like what happens next. Try it and see for yourself. Or just use double-sided tape as a temporary measure to test the waters. I don't know if a thread is necessary for that.
    Now, I've created my fair share of stupid threads as well, but what you ask here reminds me of those pre-hipster fakengers who were wearing cycling shoes even when walking around without a bike.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.