velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorgoldfish06
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011

Whether I agree with the concept or not, the OP asked the question for helpful advice, not just to get bashed.
    So... If I'm going to discuss this, shall we say, out of the box concept: Test it out with kumotaki's suggestion of rubber cement or double-sided tape, and then if you like it, you have several options glue-wise; Superglue (too brittle IMHO), silicone (Would probably peel like rubber cement), or something along the lines of construction adhesive caulk, located at your local hardware store. I would go for the latter, since it's a solid-soled shoe. Whatever you choose, if you decide you want a sole on your Sidis (and I mean really, really want it on there), sand the Genius' sole with 400-ish grit sandpaper to get a better contact surface before you glue. It will be more likely to hold up that way. Also, whatever you do, don't use any kind of rubber-specific glue that melts the rubber, aka a vulcanizing agent, because it will not adhere well in the long term to the solid resin surface of the sole. All of this is IMHO. Hopefully this has given you some ideas, OP.
    • CommentAuthorbowermb

Posted By: Mike FargoIt seems that I'm not getting my point across. I am not going to use clip-in pedals, I use touring style platform pedals with either TRADITIONAL TOE CLIPS or POWERGRIP straps. I already own a pair of 200$ Sidis road shoes I would like to use them instead of purchasing a new pair of shoes. I just want to know if anyone has ever (glued,vulcanized,stitched) a thin rubber sole to the bottom of a road shoe. This will make the shoe easier and safer to walk in. Thanks Mike

I was not trying to be rude. I do think everyone here understands exactly what your asking, but I am just trying to understand why you refuse to not use clipless pedals. That is why I asked if you broke you arm the very first time you used them. Please just give a little more background as to why you have a pair of Sidi Genius road shoes, but don't use clipless pedals.

Anyway, a cobbler would be the person to ask though. People with leg deformities (one leg longer than another, etc) have to customized sole additions to their shoes all the time. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility. I just think it makes more sense to sell what you have and buy something specifically for that purpose.
    • CommentAuthorMike Fargo

I thank everyone for the info, Have plenty of pairs of Converse All Stars with thin rubber soles. It's full speed ahead with project let you know outcome. I apologize for being a little testy in my response, but as goldfish06 observed wanted to know if project was doable not it's practicality.. Mike
    • CommentAuthortreehugger

Here is a solid shoe that looks like a Chuck, but actually has a reinforced shoe!
    http://www.chromebagsstore.com/shoes/kursk.html
    • CommentAuthorchain suck
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011 edited

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.