velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I just posted a "discussion" recently about my high gear ratio. Now that i have a reasonable one, i'm trying to do everything i couldn't do before. One of these things is sit down skids. I can stick little ones sometimes, but i'm trying to learn how to be consistent and solid with them. Does anyone have any pointers?
    hand a car battery from your handle bars
    huh?
    Some may call them skid whips lol
    *HANG*
    • CommentAuthoradriano
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009

shift weight forward. bring it back.
    • CommentAuthormuckymucky
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009

whats a common gear ratio that allows easy seated skids? gear Inches?
    32:20
    • CommentAuthoradriano

Posted By: muckymuckywhats a common gear ratio that allows easy seated skids? gear Inches?

try less than 70 inches or get your strength up.
    At rare occasions when i have to stop at a quick redlight, or some other random reason, I have skidded sitting down, but not intentionally. I've just been pushing back so hard, and been too lazy to stand up, that I skid while I'm sitting down. I think in most instances that you've probably seen, where it looks like someone is skidding sitting down, they're probably still leaning forward, and have all their weight off the seat, their butt is just an inch above the seat and it looks like they're still sitting. Especially is the back wheel is whipping out to the side you'd have to be on your feet to keep the weight on the front wheel.
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009 edited

adriano from bike forum?
    • CommentAuthoradriano

Posted By: muckymucky

it is i.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

No matter what gear inch or ratio you are told (with exception of the extremes)... either lose weight or get stronger
    that and some practice will do the trick.
    Maybe try learning on some wet pavement, so you at least get the technique down without having to put in as much effort,
    what helps is if you try it on super smooth flat pavement, so it slides better, and if you kinda give it a little hop and pedal backwards it works
    • CommentAuthoradriano
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2009

Posted By: upthemaidenMaybe try learning on some wet pavement, so you at least get the technique down without having to put in as much effort,

dry technique is quite different and much more difficult. if you cant do it in the wet, youve got a long way to go.
    Yea i rode all day today and yesterday and i got them down solid lol. Still can't trackstand....
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2009

Posted By: GOBSTOPTODROPYea i rode all day today and yesterday and i got them down solid lol. Still can't trackstand....

gob, whats ur ratio?
    its a 48/17, before it was 52/14
    No.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.