velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorTRGiant
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011

Hey guys i was wondering if you could recommend some light/strong rims that are pretty affordable and are sold as singles. I have a front philwood that i want to build it on so that should factor into your recommendations. I dont care about color just as long as its quality. I was thinking about a mavic open pro but not sure which one. HELPP!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Thats exactly what I recommend, an open pro. get whichever is prettiest and/or cheapest.
    • CommentAuthorTRGiant

the mavics are definitely a number 1 choice if i can find it for the right price. i traded the phil for some bars. it was built up once but then disassembled. Im considering building it up myself but if i get too frustrated ill take it to my LBS. thanks for ur opinion
    • CommentAuthorTRGiant

ps. whats all that "CD" nonsense that seems to make the open pros more expensive?
    Every fixed gear wheel help thread should just be automatic answer Mavic Open Pro, Deep V rims and either laced to Formula.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011 edited

Posted By: TRGiantps. whats all that "CD" nonsense that seems to make the open pros more expensive?

The Internet is your friend:

http://www.mavic.com/en/technology/rims/CD

"Couche Dure"; French for "hard layer". Essentially, it's a surface hardening layer on the braking surface to slow down rim wear. They've been doing it for years on their better quality rims.

BTW: You might think about dialing back on the all-caps thing. It's considered Internet-rude, and might incline some folk not to help you.
    • CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011 edited

And whenever someone starts 'I want teeeh arospokzzz" someone should post

THIS:

And end it at that
    • CommentAuthorTRGiant

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: TRGiantps. whats all that "CD" nonsense that seems to make the open pros more expensive?

The Internet is your friend:

http://www.mavic.com/en/technology/rims/CD

"Couche Dure"; French for "hard layer". Essentially, it's a surface hardening layer on the braking surface to slow down rim wear. They've been doing it for years on their better quality rims.

BTW: You might think about dialing back on the all-caps thing. It's considered Internet-rude, and might incline some folk not to help you.

Thanks for the clarification and lesson on internet etiquette. I do run a front brake so that would be pretty ideal thanks for your input
    • CommentAuthorscmalex

I have had good luck with Mavic Open 4 CD (NOS) and Mavic Open Pro rims.

just get it laced 3x and you should have a nice, strong wheel ;)
    • CommentAuthorwobbling

Posted By: scmalexI have had good luck with Mavic Open 4 CD (NOS) and Mavic Open Pro rims.

Yes, I highly suggest some NOS stuff from Mavic because a wheelsmith has told me that the quality nowadays isn't as good as it could be. Also, I just built up a new wheel with Kinlin XR-300, you may want to look into the XR-270, they're not as deep and lighter. I've heard great things about Kinlin and its been treating me well so far. As for bombproof, go for at least 32h/26h with double butted spokes from DT or Sapim. Hope this helps.
    Posted By: TRGiantthe mavics are definitely a number 1 choice if i can find it for the right price. i traded the phil for some bars. it was built up once but then disassembled. Im considering building it up myself but if i get too frustrated ill take it to my LBS. thanks for ur opinion

do it yourself it is a great learning experience but does take a few hours (at least it did for me)....but i did end up taking it to my lbs to get it trued
    • CommentAuthorTRGiant
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011

Posted By: wobbling
    Posted By: scmalexI have had good luck with Mavic Open 4 CD (NOS) and Mavic Open Pro rims.

Yes, I highly suggest some NOS stuff from Mavic because a wheelsmith has told me that the quality nowadays isn't as good as it could be. Also, I just built up a new wheel with Kinlin XR-300, you may want to look into the XR-270, they're not as deep and lighter. I've heard great things about Kinlin and its been treating me well so far. As for bombproof, go for at least 32h/26h with double butted spokes from DT or Sapim. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mavic-Open-Pro-36-hole-rims-/130581113262?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e673da9ae#ht_500wt_1413

yes? no? maybe?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: TRGiantyes? no? maybe?

If you can get 'em for a decent price, yes
    • CommentAuthorTRGiant

Would a decent carbon rim (if possible to find) be good laced to a Phil?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Why would you? I assume this is for your pista
    • CommentAuthorwobbling

Posted By: TRGiantWould a decent carbon rim (if possible to find) be good laced to a Phil?

I don't think you need the weight benefits of a carbon rim. If you're planning to use them on the road then you may want to stay away from carbon rims because pot holes and bumps may harm the rim. Unless you're planning to use them on the track then by all means, get a pair.
    • CommentAuthorTRGiant
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011

Posted By: veggieWhy would you? I assume this is for your pista

No I have a Cinelli Gazzetta now. I just want it a little lighter than it is. i have 2 phils on it already laced to DT Swiss 1.2's. the only reason im changing the front is because i dont like the radial laced that it came with. Im a little too heavy for it and dont want to risk going over a curb and bending it a bit, hence the need for a new front rim, 3x laced of course. the carbon question was just a question. denote it please
    • CommentAuthorTRGiant

Posted By: GetChaThugOn
    Posted By: TRGiantthe mavics are definitely a number 1 choice if i can find it for the right price. i traded the phil for some bars. it was built up once but then disassembled. Im considering building it up myself but if i get too frustrated ill take it to my LBS. thanks for ur opinion

do it yourself it is a great learning experience but does take a few hours (at least it did for me)....but i did end up taking it to my lbs to get it trued

plus I want to get practice on building a wheel
    • CommentAuthortreehugger

Why dont you just get your old rim laced up 3x?
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

All you need is different spokes, re lace it 3x. When you do, bring the wheel's tension down slowly, one turn at a time on each nipple until the spokes are loose, if you clip them you are liable to bend the rim.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.