velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013

that should provide some insight.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013 edited

lickedwicked is either the best troller since BigBris on BikeForums, or he's an idiot savant. maybe he's both. either way, he brings the ha-ha's.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2013 edited

Posted By: quixoticleWho is lickedwicked?

I feel like you've been here forever, but forgot you weren't here when lickedwicked was making us tear things apart over his trolling
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

There was also this one time, when the fumingator swore he saw lickedwicked and it was hilarious
    • CommentAuthorquixoticle

Yeah, was hoping that question would instigate something or other. What this site needs is a good influx of new blood! Let's cut a deal with MTV or something. Would that work?
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2013

Posted By: quixoticleYeah, was hoping that question would instigate something or other. What this site needs is a good influx of new blood! Let's cut a deal with MTV or something. Would that work?

I was thinking "Hey, I'm kind of new" Then I couldn't figure out what MTV stood for. Mountain bike Terrain something before realizing I'm an idiot. I guess that means I'm old, or that mtv sucks now.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013

Posted By: END00291I guess that means I'm old

wut
    Mountainbike Television... they air reruns of fresh prince of bel air and some reality show about a group of people who live in a skateboard shop. The name is a. Misnomer. Havent seen a bike related show, much less comercial since Total Cycling Live in the 90s. Dont get me started on mtv2...
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013 edited

I threw an OR in there because I was joking, but I have noticed that I can't do the same things that I could a few years ago, like long distance running. I watch anything that has to do with cycling when it pops up on the tube mountain bike tv sounds kool.
    I was being a smart ass. Well more a satirical joke of mtv nolonger actually airing music. Just marathons of jersey shore, teen mom and that other show called my life as a... or whatever.
    This thread has everything. I'm so happy to be back.
    • CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013

I also enjoyed this thread. Hi Newman.
    • CommentAuthorxian7
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013

Posted By: SkidMarkThis is what it really looks like

@ 1:15

wait... WUT!?!
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013

Lucas Brunelle's Line Of Sight

• CommentAuthorMancha150

As entertaining as this movie seems, I have a hard time watching this kind of crap. it makes cyclists in general look bad, especially since most of the people in that preview had no regard for the safety of others. If I was driving a car and saw one of these clowns I would get extremely pissed off. Imagine its wet out, and in like one of the scenes, a car slams its brakes as a reaction to some idiot cutting in front of them, and loses control, running into pedestrians or other cars, and potentially killing or injuring people. Way to make urban cycling look bad.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Swerving between cars in traffic, and finding that line of sight he talks about is fine. When you put only yourself at risk. But once you have zero regard for traffic or other laws, you are potentially putting hundreds of people at risk of getting seriously hurt, not just yourself. Maybe I am being an old man or parent about this, but I think it is ridiculous.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013 edited

If you actually rode this aggressively you would know that their "line" is BEHIND the car you think they are "cutting in front of". Nobody is playing chicken with cars or trying to cause them to stop. The idea is to cross the intersection without impeding traffic at all. In other words the idea is to not end up under a car. If these idiots overreacting and slamming on their brakes would just continue forward at the same speed the bike would go behind them like the rider was planning.

Think about the fact that in most of these circumstances the bikes are going as fast or even faster than the cars. Car drivers whine about bikes impeding traffic. What about when these idiots in their tin boxes stack up at a light? I'm supposed to sit there sucking in exhaust fumes while there is a green light in front of me? Fuck that, I am going to filter my way through, changing lanes because mirrors stick out and car drivers cannot seem to find the center of the lane and hug the line either to the right or left. Some of them see you coming up and try to block you, great way to lose a mirror or get spit on.

Also people in cars and on motorcycles illegally street race all the time. Burnouts, wheelies, drifting, all kinds of "irresponsible behavior". And this is on top of the zillions of moving violations that "regular" people commit.

Can we talk about hit-and-runs?

How many times have you been told "I didn't see you"?
    • CommentAuthorrollins

Posted By: SkidMarkIf these idiots overreacting and slamming on their brakes would just continue forward at the same speed the bike would go behind them like the rider was planning.

Wrong. The 'idiot' is the guy on the bike assuming everyone is on the same page and completely aware of what he is doing and thinking. Even for the drivers that actually are paying attention, there is no reason for them to assume the guy on the bike knows wtf he's doing. If I am driving, I am going to react in whatever way I feel most safe. I have no reason to risk having a cyclist on my windshield and no reason to assume the cyclist knows what he is doing.

Posted By: SkidMarkAlso people in cars and on motorcycles illegally street race all the time. Burnouts, wheelies, drifting, all kinds of "irresponsible behavior". And this is on top of the zillions of moving violations that "regular" people commit.

Right. And their behavior is equally asinine and inexcusable. One person's asinine behavior does not justify another person's asinine behavior. They are all in the wrong.

There are plenty of ways to safely, legally, and PREDICTABLY filter your way through traffic.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: SkidMarkThink about the fact that in most of these circumstances the bikes are going as fast or even faster than the cars. Car drivers whine about bikes impeding traffic. What about when these idiots in their tin boxes stack up at a light? I'm supposed to sit there sucking in exhaust fumes while there is a green light in front of me? Fuck that, I am going to filter my way through, changing lanes because mirrors stick out and car drivers cannot seem to find the center of the lane and hug the line either to the right or left. Some of them see you coming up and try to block you, great way to lose a mirror or get spit on.

I appreciate your comments, and I think I was both being a little harsh and somewhat restricted in my argument, because I am not trying to defend cars or drivers at all. I understand the logic that the line is variable to whatever is going on, adjusting for whatever traffic does. And if someone is good enough (eg the brunelle types), it is very unlikely that anything bad happen to anyone with that kind of riding (as he says in the film). I also understand that no one is playing chicken or saying "I dont give a shit about what happens to the cars, I just want to get past them." I was not trying to make an argument as much about following laws as I was about certain decisions made that could (potentially) put other people at risk. I was thinking of minute 1:32 in the preview video you posted earlier. Even if you say bikes will adjust to what the car does, and make decisions based on what is feasible without changing the actions of the drivers, that does not translate into cars reacting the way cyclists would like them to. People have a false sense of security when they drive: not only do they not pay as much attention as they should, but they dont treat their vehicle like the piece of machinery that it actually is. That is how driving culture is and always has been. If someone (a good driver or bad) sees a bike in the middle of the street when they have a green light, and are going 40 miles an hour some 50 meters away, their reaction might be to slam on the brakes, EVEN IF the cyclist does not pose a direct threat because he/she is making a decision based on what the car is doing or will do. Imagine it is wet, the car looses control, and the path of the car is no longer something anyone could have predicted.

I used to ride "like that". Since I work from home now I have been away from this kind of riding of late. But I am fully aware that this kind of riding is safer than most because you will get run over if you ride what most non cyclist would call "a respectable way." I know DC is no NYC, but when I first started riding my bike in that city, I did most of what you may think I am arguing against (with the exception of riding through perpendicular traffic). Mexico City is honeslty a whole other story, because cars do not adjust to cyclists or pedestrians here (every day in the newspaper their is a picture of a dead pedestrian or cyclist on the front cover of the yellow journalism papers). I rode for a year and a half with the mentality that I need to create my own lines to not get killed, and it worked for the most part (I was only run over once, and it was probably because I was not paying as much attention as I should...despite the fact that anyone -cyclist or non -would agree the cab was 100% to blame). The point I am trying to make is that I am not against that kind of urban riding. I recognize it is necessary to both remain on your bike and keep yourself from getting hurt, and maybe more importantly get to where you need to get in a reasonable amount of time. I for one only ride "behind" cars in traffic when I am with my wife, otherwise my instict tells me to keep moving and following that invisible line. I can come up with plenty of other scenarios: the girl jogging when she has the right of way (the bike may think he timed her correctly, but maybe she is not aware, and not only does she not stop as she did abruptly in the film, but maybe she speeds up?) I know it is very uncommon, but there have been people killed after being hit by bikes (an old lady is not going to be able to react quick enough or even predictably)

All this aside, the point I am trying to make is that there is what I believe to be a smart way to do it and a stupid way. maybe the clips are bad examples because they are alley cat races where peoples' motivation to keep moving despite the possibility of an accident is directed by something less ordinary. I in no way wanted to bring up the illegality of car and motorcycle behavior (which I believe to be 10000000x more apparent than cycling behavior), and I for one hate most cars even when I am walking. In mexico city there is no such thing as the right of way, and the combination of stupid drivers and "i dont give a shit" drivers have put me at risk so my times that I myself hate driving anywhere. So believe me, this is not an argument taking sides with drivers in any way, shape, or form. And I have been told a thousand times that I was not seen...
    • CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013 edited

I'm not just buying it guys. You only get one whirly bird trip through this life and I don't see any reason to risk it making a bunch of assumptions about what everyone else is doing or thinking. I don't have to be anywhere so badly that I'd be better off dead than late.

You are playing at the high stakes table.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.