velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

yes, i was banned

and i am VERY VERY sorry for the racist/rant about "fobs" and other "asians" for being rich and poor

i know myself, i am an asian american, and i am an idiot for the stupid things i said, i will keep things to myself and in my mind only

once again i am sorry
    • CommentAuthoruhler
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

Apology accepted, welcome back.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011

Welcome back. Just keep in the back of your mind that none of us chose when, where or by whom we were born as just like most of us do not fit a catagorical mold. Please read and post in the "People behind the bikes".. It'll give you a good feel as to how different we all are.
    I don't think you should be banned for talking about your own race.
    This is debatable, but it's not as if anyone on the forum can check to see if the person making racist comments is indeed a member of that race. It's ban it all or ban none of it on the internet, my friend.
    • CommentAuthorSkylar
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011

No racism, just bikes. Should be fine.
    Yeah that's true. I've gotten in trouble for talking about black people. If people don't know then they'll complain or whatnot.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

It's still hate speech too
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

I don't understand how people can put this up for debate. It's in the rules, and even if it wasn't, it's RACIST. What is it that people don't understand about that? I bet people would have a way different take if someone was dropping a bunch of n-bombs and Jim Crow language all over the place, black or not. Or if someone Jewish was throwing up a bunch of Neo-Nazi propaganda.
    If things aren't debated and opinions aren't shared, how can there be any kind sense of understanding or unity in a community?
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011 edited

I'm sorry, but the debate should be over for this kind of stuff. I don't need to read another racist post/thread to tell me otherwise, and neither should anyone else. This isn't a rhetorical topic that needs to be discussed ad nauseum. Racism is fucked up, and will always be fucked up, end of story. I'm sorry if that sounds like too hard of a stance to take, but any forum that even pretends like that should be an open dialogue for discussion is opening itself up to a world of bullshit, to say nothing of the fact that this is not a civil right's/race relations forum, but a bicycling forum.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

^what he said.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Thank you for the apology, and for everyone trying to keep the level of discourse elevated on the site
    Who is saying this is up for debate on Velospace? The thread is about NS publicly apologizing for his statements, which he was banned for making. The fact that someone felt the ban was unnecessary doesn't mean there is a debate about using hate speech on the site. But, when such an opinion is aired, it makes sense to talk about it, not sweep it under the rug or close the thread JUST because there is a discussion about policy going on. Calm down.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011 edited

It's up for debate because people are advocating there not being any sort of penalty for such talk. And lets be honest, banning is pretty much the only penalty a forum can level as a disciplinary measure. As far as calming down, I like this site, and this forum. So it aggravates me when I have to read some of the stuff I've read lately, and have people comment and drag it out more instead of calling it for what it is off the bat. I don't feel like I should have to read it on here, or read any tacit approval of it. Which is kind of the feeling I've been getting off the forum lately.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: gregThank you for the apology, and for everyone trying to keep the level of intercourse elevated on the site
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Well we all know who's mature her now...
    • CommentAuthoruhler

Posted By: veggieWell we all know who's mature her now...

*here

grammar nazi here!
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Sorry, been a long day.
    Posted By: uhler

*here

grammar nazi here!

"Well, we all know who's mature here now."
    This would be the correct grammar. Although, I would have worded it: "Well, now we all know who's mature here".

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.