velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorsegress
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2009

what's it like to ride with one?
    Heavy, but smooth, in my opinion, I got one to see what it was like to ride with it, Im thinking of selling or trading it already. Nice wheel, but not for me!
    A lot of people say, to only ride a Aerospoke on the front, if you're going to ride one at all.
    • CommentAuthorsegress
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009

Posted By: terrible_one49A lot of people say, to only ride a Aerospoke on the front, if you're going to ride one at all.

why is that? weight? drag?
    • CommentAuthoradriano
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009

Posted By: segress
    Posted By: terrible_one49A lot of people say, to only ride a Aerospoke on the front, if you're going to ride one at all.

why is that? weight? drag?

if you believe that aerospokes are indeed more aerodynamic and if you will be riding in such a way that youll actually take advantage of better aerodynamics, an aerodynamic front wheel will have more of a reduction on drag than that of a rear.
    Posted By: cyclecrazyjamesHeavy, but smooth, in my opinion, I got one to see what it was like to ride with it, Im thinking of selling or trading it already. Nice wheel, but not for me!

Did it improve the performance of your ride, or just make it “look cool”?
    It did both, I like my rides to look good. But most important I want them to function, and have the best ride quality that I can provide. So like I said, there smooth, yes a bit more aero, but heavy as hell. That is why im selling to get a much lighterweight wheel.
    Posted By: cyclecrazyjamesIt did both, I like my rides to look good. But most important I want them to function, and have the best ride quality that I can provide. So like I said, there smooth, yes a bit more aero, but heavy as hell. That is why im selling to get a much lighterweight wheel.

I have never used an areospoke wheel, and have done very little racing. Please let me clarify my question...
    Are these wheels going to be used for race use, recreational or bike messenger use? Are they more durable than a well built “normal” wheel? In your opinion, are they worth the added cost? Why?
    personally i think they are crap. all that weight really makes a difference when its rotational weight. 1 aerospoke weighs about the same as a deep-v wheelset. aero doesnt really mean shit if you're not racing seriously. how many pros do you see racing them anyway? and they will eventually go out of true and develop wobble and hop and maybe flat spots and once they do theres no way to fix it. the only reason they even cost so much is because all the hipster have to have them. a couple of years ago they cost half as much.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009

aerospoke on the track would probably be more of a hinderance.
    The aerodynamics of the front wheel are the most relevant if you're moving fast, of course. If you're doing track stands and skids most of the time, it's obviously irrelevant.
    • CommentAuthortehz
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009

The real reason to not run a rear aerospoke is because with the all the nasty ass whip skidding you'll do the rear hub will develop a lot of play in it. this is an issue known by the manufacturers.
    4 reasons why people get front aerospokes

1. they are supposedly bomb-proof. if you are doing a bunch of wheelies or tricks, you usually slam the front wheel on the ground a lot, so it would make sense to get a sturdy front wheel.
    2. Messengers used to use them in the front because it's much easier to lock the front wheel quickly (rather than carefully threading the lock through wire spokes).
    3. They have a small aero advantage that people blow way out of proportion. the fact that they are heavy probably takes away the small aero advantage you gain anyway.
    4. I think they used to be called mag wheels on BMX bikes, they have transferred over to fixie culture and now they are seen as cool.
    The whole areo spoke thing is rediculos because once they brake they are done. On a regular wheel everything is servicable and repacable. You can't true an areo spoke. Can't replace a spoke, and what do you do when you nail a big ass pothole that brakes the hoop? You throw it away. Areo spokes are disposable wheels.
    The only logical reason someone should invest in areo spokes is because they look increadible. Put them on the pretty sunday show bike that you don't do tricks on. And there is nothing wrong with buying them just because they look cool. But I think they look good only as a set- only a front makes me think you couldn't afford both. Yeah yeah, they are terrible as a back wheel, but again, you shouldn't buy them for performance anyhow... Buy them to make your bike look hot. I am all for building bikes that are pretty to look at, even if its not fast, comfy or practical. Its no diffrent then building a show car.
    if you are buying for looks get front and back if you want performance then start looking at other wheels. in my opinion just dont get the because they cause more harm than good.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2009

Posted By: Crank Pedaler4 reasons why people get front aerospokes

1. they are supposedly bomb-proof. if you are doing a bunch of wheelies or tricks, you usually slam the front wheel on the ground a lot, so it would make sense to get a sturdy front wheel.
    2. Messengers used to use them in the front because it's much easier to lock the front wheel quickly (rather than carefully threading the lock through wire spokes).
    3. They have a small aero advantage that people blow way out of proportion. the fact that they are heavy probably takes away the small aero advantage you gain anyway.
    4. I think they used to be called mag wheels on BMX bikes, they have transferred over to fixie culture and now they are seen as cool.
    um, where do you get your ideas? seems like a regurgitated version of this.
    • CommentAuthoryoxscotty
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009

Posted By: carbon fiber15if you are buying for looks get front and back if you want performance then start looking at other wheels. in my opinion just dont get the because they cause more harm than good.

cause more harm than good? i can tell you this much; i ride with a front aerospoke (off the record, because i prefer the look) and riding my bike certainly isn't causing me more harm because of it.

care to explain? i think you wrote that post when you were grumpy :)
    • CommentAuthoryoxscotty
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009

and that wired article was pretty annoying. everyone is so grumpy!!
    ^I found that wired article rather amusing myself.

I think it spoke a great amount of truth in so far as “Fashion in bikes” goes.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.