velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorZxcvtypo
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011

Let me give you an example,

Go to a bikeshop with an Shimano STX enclosed bearing headset - Need the cups...
    Hand bearings to sales associate he walks to back "to see what they have"
    I followed him to see them searching the ground.
    Assuming:
    Mechanic then opens the bearing seal and all the bb's fall to the ground.
    Good luck finding them all - then walks back to me with the headset in pieces and says:
    "these should be one peice, not in multiple like this one" with disgusting attitude
    smacks it to the counter and walks away
    now missing 1 bb.... useless. Then asked to buy a new headset.
    Just shake my head and walk away.

When finding a fitting CUP for a headset - when does it require cracking the bearing seals.
    Thick Cycles, in Pittsburgh Two thumbs down

Please, share your shop horror stories - I want to take note so I know the real deal about it.
    I've never had anything THAT bad but recently, I took my cannondale to get the shifters tuned. I go in the next day and the guy working on my bike tells me that my deraileurs won't work with the shifts I have. I tell him that they have for awhile and that it doesn't make any sense of what he is telling me. So even though the guy basically f-ed my drivetrain up more than it was, I still had to pay him for service time, only to go home and try to work it back so it functioned.

There are only 2 LBS here in Aspen and that one was the cheapest (for a reason apparently). The other is a pro-shop but I am now willing to take it to them and pay the extra money so that my money goes toward something other than a failure.
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

Out here in Boulder CO, I took my Abici road bike to Uni-Bikes to check out some new head sets. all-n-all They had no idea what kind of head set I needed, nor did they even want to figure it out. So they told me that if I needed a new part on my bike it was my job to take my bike home and figure all the specs/Go on their website. I told them they don't have a site anymore nor have I found they spec sheet. They said to bad. Never did get a new headset

-My brother was riding in Denver and got a flat in his rear(He doesn't ride bikes nor know how to work on them) thank goodness he was right next to a bike shop..... the bike shop tried to charge him $27 for a tube/telling him how to put a tube on....
    • CommentAuthorTracker

I hate it when you know more than the people at the bike shop.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: brooklynbombsI go in the next day and the guy working on my bike tells me that my deraileurs won't work with the shifts I have.

Wow.

Posted By: FeFstOut here in Boulder CO, I took my Abici road bike to Uni-Bikes to check out some new head sets. all-n-all They had no idea what kind of head set I needed, nor did they even want to figure it out. So they told me that if I needed a new part on my bike it was my job to take my bike home and figure all the specs/Go on their website. I told them they don't have a site anymore nor have I found they spec sheet. They said to bad. Never did get a new headset

Double wow.
    I hate bashing shops since they're typically a good thing for the local community. Although, if one knows more than a shop, why go there? Or why go to a shop at all if you know more than "professionals"? I can see if someone doesn't have the correct tool at the moment, but...

My experiences from shops have been mainly on things that I have little or no knowledge or experience with. With that they have been good. And I tend to ask a ton of questions and like to watch them work on my bikes so I can learn and buy the tool(s) they are using to make the job easier and possible for me to do it at home.

To not ruin this thread with my pro local-shop-advocacy and add to my bad shop experiences:
    I have had a shop ruin a fork of mine. I was told that "x" headset was the best for a specific fork of mine. They ended up cutting the fork too short so I couldn't use it with that headset or that frame. Luckily I had a frame that had a shorter headtube so the fork did not go to waste.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

I usually just go if i need to buy something, they usually think im a dumbass and dont know what I what, I know exactly what I need. Also my local shop the mechanic only knows like how to assemble things and dosnt know that much about parts.
    • CommentAuthorZxcvtypo

This isn't bashing shops - it's more of "be careful for things", the same deal as if you were to "hear this about a shop"
    I am a mechanic, also I do work at a shop, but we don't make mistakes - we are NOT afraid to handing off tasks amongst each other if ones more knowledgeable than ourselves.
    There have been plenty of times we've turned down customers before working on something since we aren't familiar with it.

Lots of shops you find don't have "professional" mechanics either, and truthfully, my experience was a terrible rookie mistake. There was no reason to disassemble a bearing to see if it fits into a cup. And I should of received a free headset - after calling the owner, he played deer in the headlights, merely I rejected any compensation but to clarify that it was my first time ever in the shop, and what played out - customer complaints go a very long way in society now. Sadly, I'll never return to this store.

And I'm not defending nor trolling my own topic - wasn't going to post again, just read, but I wanted to clarify that this isn't a post to create libel against any specific shop.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

I only go to 1 shop out of the five within 30min from my house.
    On the note of "knowing more than the guy at the bike shop". I went into a shop this past march while in the market for a new wheelset. I asked if they carried a few brands that I was interested in. He wasn't sure so he proceeded to look on the website from which they order. Sounds all well and good until I noticed he was looking up tires...not wheels. Figuring the guy was an idiot, without saying a word, I walked out the front door and haven't been back there.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Posted By: brooklynbombsOn the note of "knowing more than the guy at the bike shop". I went into a shop this past march while in the market for a new wheelset. I asked if they carried a few brands that I was interested in. He wasn't sure so he proceeded to look on the website from which they order. Sounds all well and good until I noticed he was looking up tires...not wheels. Figuring the guy was an idiot, without saying a word, I walked out the front door and haven't been back there.

You see this is what im on about!
    The wheel tire confusion has also happened to me, how do they get a job if they dont which is which.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

ha
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

heey to be fair, we have to put up with a lot of people who are total idiots all day EVERYday.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Yeah, but if its something I don't know, at least I have the courtesy to call over someone who does.
    • CommentAuthorTracker
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011 edited

Posted By: veggieYeah, but if its something I don't know, at least I have the courtesy to call over someone who does.

Now I like the people who do that cuz they dont want to tell the costumer incorrect info,

Posted By: Haeganheey to be fair, we have to put up with a lot of people who are total idiots all day EVERYday.

Ive seen those people in shops, 50 questions later they sill have no idea what they want.
    • CommentAuthormmorimoto

Posted By: TrackerI hate it when you know more than the people at the bike shop.

That's the best part. I spoke to a guy at Jone's Bicycle Shop on 2nd Street in Long Beach, CA. I spoke to the guy about BCD's and he had no clue what to say because he knew nothing. Baffled? Yes.
    Posted By: Haeganheey to be fair, we have to put up with a lot of people who are total idiots all day EVERYday.

Yes, but your job IS to educate as well as maintain bikes. Yes, I have seen a lot of people who will just never get it and I understand your view. But I don't go into a bike shop to deal with a guy who knows less than myself. That just blows my mind.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

He must have took the walk of shame.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

It takes good and bad experiences, multiple shops to find one that you like to do business with once you find it stick with it.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

some people are just hopeless. you just have to smile and nod. i agree though, shop employees should be knowledgeable and helpful. and i know there are some bad ones out there, i've worked with them and watched them get fired. but its not most of them, its a select few.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.