velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorniuage
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011 edited

Is it possible to install brakes on nitto B123 handlebars, or similarly shaped handlebars? The shape seems to prevent that, but I'm no expert, so I'd like to make sure :)

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011

Yes.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

OMG What is this oh its the quick question thread, use it...please.
    What kind of levers are you planning to install? It is all possible with road levers and levers that install on the flats

• CommentAuthorniuage
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011 edited

I'd like levers like in the second picture. It just seemed like there were no straight parts on the nitto B123 handlebars, unlike the handlebars in your picture.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

There are flats on track drops, but why not just get some normal road drops?
    Posted By: veggieroad drops

Im so happy I got into road bars on my track bikes I should have done it a long time ago. Since then I realize how impractical and uncomfortable track bars are when ridden anywhere besides track.
    • CommentAuthorniuage

Only because I like the design better. I have road drops on my current bike, and I was thinking about trying track drops.
    But in fact, those would not be my first choice. I wanted to try bullhorns. The nitto RB21 seemed perfect. But first it's hard to find in black. And second, I have a 31.8 stem... So do you know any bullhorn handlebars similar to this model in 31.8?
    • CommentAuthorniuage

Hum... thanks for the feedback bensonisajew. I guess I wont go for those then.
    Profile makes some or Deda
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

Looks like they still have 42cm at Ben's in black:
    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=188_232_593_1734&products_id=9652

Profile Airwings are good. The drop on them is not as deep as RB-021, but they're comfortable bars.
    • CommentAuthorkumotaki

Frankly, you could just spray paint any bullhorn you like in matte black if it is the color you're after. With the remaining paint, touch up when needed.
    Light sanding on the bar before the first layer of paint and thin layer of primer if you're a perfectionist. Done it before, this will age quite well.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

You can order the crononero lows from a couple of online shops in the UK for less than 50 shipped. I like them better than nittos.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011

BMX lever on 40cm Nitto B123 handlebars.
    • CommentAuthorniuage

Thanks guys :)

In the end, I went for the Deda pista track handlebars. Even though bensonisajew find track handlebars uncomfortable, I tried and I like them fine. We'll see. I think the deda pista will look awesome on the super pista I'm currently building :)

Thanks.
    Well dont go for my word its just my opinion and everyone has they're preferences. But if you try out road bars youll understand why track bars are sucky for street
    • CommentAuthorniuage

I have road bars on my current bike. Anyways, if I dont like them, I'll just try something else :)
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011 edited

Track drops offer only 2 hand positions, and only 1 of those is useful for street riding. And that 1 position is really only good for flat, mellow riding conditions for shorter distances. Bullhorns or road drops with hoods offer more hand positions to fit the situation, and are just more comfortable overall.
    • CommentAuthorniuage
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011 edited

I see... Short distances, on flat, is what I do 80% of the time. This bike would be to commute, it's only a 20 minute ride. I can use my old bike for longer distances.
    What about the bullhorn handlebars like the deda crononero lowrider? They dont really look like they would be confortable for "long" distances either, but maybe I'm wrong.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.