velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So what's the deal with the Vuelta Super Deep Vs? There was bound to be a discussion about them soon enough. I like the whole deep section aero thing, but Hplussons are kinda pricey. So perhaps the Vueltas are a budget alternative, or they are complete crap. I don't want to hera, "Oh Vueltas are crap, they look shitty, etc. etc." I want to hear, "Dude, those things fail" or "Those things are heavy as hell, but they should hold up."

Real stuff, you know, not like OMG OMG OMG CHECK OUT MAI FILL WOODZ LOLOLOLOL ALL OTHER HUBZ R GHEY. You know those discussions.

On an alternate note, what about Sun Swifts or Dodicis? I've had experience with Sun Rims and I loved them, but the Swift is a pretty rare rim.

Anyhow, Vuelta Super Deep Vs. Chat away.
    this is a little OT, but its close enough....

I love deep vees on the street. They are tough. Even the DP18's hold up like tanks, if they are not poorly built (I think thats where most the bad rap comes frome, but who am I).

I dont get the benifit of running a heavy deep vee on the track. Someone please explain this if possible...... and please know what your talking about, or I will just pick your nonsince apart.

Shawn
    • CommentAuthornartnailuj
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2009

Feel Whood Hubs
    Posted By: hardsole5280this is a little OT, but its close enough....

I love deep vees on the street. They are tough. Even the DP18's hold up like tanks, if they are not poorly built (I think thats where most the bad rap comes frome, but who am I).

I dont get the benifit of running a heavy deep vee on the track. Someone please explain this if possible...... and please know what your talking about, or I will just pick your nonsince apart.

Shawn

There is a great conjecture about the actual Aero benefits of deep section rims. I think it's clear that a Zipp is more aero than, say, an Open Pro, but I doubt Deep Vs or the Vueltas provide any aero benefit. However, I believe a deep rim paired with a high-flange hub allows the use of shorter spokes, producing a stiffer wheel. I have no clue how much stiffer, as two equally well-built wheels would likely be similarly stiff regardless of the spoke length. Plus I just think deep rims look cool.

Posted By: nartnailujFeel Whood Hubs

Fihl Woulds, Veep Deez, err-0-spawks, it never gets old :D
    I am a fan of high flange tied and soldered myself. kinda old school I guess. I want to ride on a neat lookin pair of twisty jobs, I think those may feel pretty stiff too. I like the deep vee look too, but i suspect its coming to walmarts everywhere. Its so '07. give me a set off sheriff badges on simple Tied and soldered MA-40's
    Posted By: hardsole5280I am a fan of high flange tied and soldered myself. kinda old school I guess. I want to ride on a neat lookin pair of twisty jobs, I think those may feel pretty stiff too. I like the deep vee look too, but i suspect its coming to walmarts everywhere. Its so '07. give me a set off sheriff badges on simple Tied and soldered MA-40's

Or those old gun-metal anodized Wolbers. In my opinion Open Pro CDs are probably the most beautiful bicycle part around, save for a REAL track frame.
    I just sold a set of those old woblers on 600 hubs. they were hot hoops indeed... what about the black campy omegas with the white and yellow splashy stripes. hotness.

A real track frame he says. you mean like a pimp ass kilo-tt?
    Posted By: hardsole5280I just sold a set of those old woblers on 600 hubs. they were hot hoops indeed... what about the black campy omegas with the white and yellow splashy stripes. hotness.

A real track frame he says. you mean like a pimp ass kilo-tt?

Yeah, any of those gun-metal colored rims. Hot stuff.
    And no, not a Kilo TT. I'm talking steep angles, short chainstays, tall bb, that stuff. Not a warmed over road frame with track ends. I may be young, but I'm a crusty old track racer at heart ;)
    hahahahaha. ok. now we are talkin. have you seen my "real" track bike on my profile? a piece of paper is all that fits between the font tire and the down tube, and that is with 20c tubies.
    i dont think you can buy a new bike with those kind of tolerences
    those type of bikes are no good on the street though.
    Clearly. I enjoy looking at them, and riding them occasionally. Unfortunately I'm a starving student so the hipster crisis has moved thos out of my price range. Ironically I ride a KIlo TT (as a rain bike) and a Langster. So you could fit a brick in between the tire and the town tube. Or a whole ream of paper.
    im not hatin'. not everyone can go out and dump money on a vintage italian track bike, and like I said, they are no good on the street unless you just wanna tear them up. I ride an 86 schwinn madison on the street. While the geometry is much tighter then the new madisons (schwinn will never get it right, and any tight steel frame that ever said schwinn, was not a schwinn because they couldnt do it. had to hire builders like waterford) its still a hay wagon, but you wont worry about pinching pebbles or glass between the tires and frame!
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: hardsole5280this is a little OT, but its close enough....

Shawn

When racing , a "heavy" wheel, carries your momentum , it wont slow you down. Actually, A light wheel can be harder to ride, because theres no weight to carry you along. Its physics. Also, the less spokes, and deeper the rim , the more aero you are, and the quicker you can possibly be. No one is running velocity deep vees on the track, but a wheel that has actually been wind tunnel tested like zipps, mavic's, eastons , heds.... make for a more aero back, and can help get you a higher top speed.
    i get the whole inertia thing, but as it helps it hinders. you can not accelerate or sling shot as fast whith heavy hoops.they are fine once you gettem rollin though.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Exactly.. The goal is to have light , yet deep aero hoops. Most track bikes arnt too quick off the start as it is anyways, due to 90+ gear inches
    im not talkin hole shot here, I am talking dead nuts sprint to get ahead!!!! thats where you need to have lite wheels to accelerate on the track... im not sayin that the whole areo= less wind resistance thing doesnt help...... but I dont believe areo does as much as its played up to. think about it, the front tire is cutting a path already, then the spokes are swirlin it around, how much is really left to slice. Not much at all. now, areo spokes......... do a tremendouse amont of cutting- if they are perfectly straight, and most the time they arnt and act more like propellers dragging.
    and dont get me started on "aero" in a cross wind on the road.
    Aerodynamics play a huge role, but only if you're going fast enough.

Theo Bos cares about aerodynamics

Joe Hipster doesn't
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2009

Well wind resistance is important , and a liter rim will equal quicker excelleration . Put your hand out the window when your driving with your pinky down , then rotate it sideways, more aero helps. The wind hits the tire, then onto the rim , if it really made no difference, they wouldnt be made (many wind tunnel tests have been done to prove this ). A aerospoke wheel Im pretty sure is less aero than most spoked wheels, and alot heavier, but a hed3/specialized tri / mavic io are the most aero wheels ever produced , which is every olympic rider uses one in the front.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.