velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorAR_17
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011

ok guys new here ive been wanting to join velospace and finally did

ok i am running a 50 13 ratio and i have b43s now and it does take a little more to take off

i was running a rear stock rim and front 26 and with this ratio i had less problems

so im thinking of getting a 50 17

for quicker take off

so what ratio you think is king im talking about daddy ratios

like 50 tooth
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2011

>17
    • CommentAuthor2011

Jesus. 50x13 is higher than even the strongest sprinters run on the track. I bet you have almost no stopping power, not to mention so slow to take off.
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag

52x21 165mm crank.I'm 46 and thats what my knees say I should run .Lol
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

seriously, there are so many forums on "what gear ratio should i run?" just search the forums and then go with a 48x17
    • CommentAuthorbdawe

Don't puss out! Stick with the 13!
    There's no "right" ratio that someone else could tell you to run. Just play around with some different ones and see what works best for you. If your running a 50/13 now. You probably have superman legs and every one elses ratios are gonna be way to weak for you. Just try 50/15 or somethin you badass. I'll stick with my baby gears over here of 49/19
    Forget about big gearing. Spin to win!
    47/19!!! Haha I dont go too fast but I slow down super quick and going uphill is a not a problem. on the down hill I spin out but skidding is ridiculously easy. Im not racing anyone Im just trying to get a drink or to work and in the itty bitty city by the water that's steady gettin taller this ratio is the bee's knee's.
    • CommentAuthorreza
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2011

running 100+ gear inches is insane, why not upload your bike?
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: rezarunning 100+ gear inches is insane, why not upload your bike?

Because he likes to smash past our $3000 bikes.
    • CommentAuthorAR_17

i can skid stop on this ratio but i feel maybe something more easy

my friend is running a 52 14 and he can skidstop more efficiently and quitelong

unlike my ratio its just a few cm
    Posted By: PandaInTheMistitty bitty city by the water that's steady gettin taller

I thought that was Vallejo?
    • CommentAuthor2011
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011 edited

Posted By: AR_17i can skid stop on this ratio but i feel maybe something more easy

my friend is running a 52 14 and he can skidstop more efficiently and quitelong

unlike my ratio its just a few cm

Thats because his gear is about 3.5" shorter.

Someone needs to teach you about gear ratios buddy. Here is a start...

On the velodrome, most people ride between an 86"-92". I personally run an 86" because I can spin really fast and still have a good attack.

On the streets, most people are riding around a 76". Even riding an 86" on the street, when I have to take my track bike out, I feel is impractical for stopping efficiently and climbing hills.

No one thinks you're a tough guy by running massive gear ratios. It's way more impressive to see someone that knows how to spin fast and efficiently and is in control of their bike and body.
    Posted By: CuttyMcCuttleson
    Posted By: PandaInTheMistitty bitty city by the water that's steady gettin taller

I thought that was Vallejo?

Damn your'e right!! It just made sense to me. SF is getting taller since they relaxed the building height restrictions. This is what happens when white people quote Mac Dre! You see what happens Larry!! This is what happens Larry!!!
    Posted By: PandaInTheMistYou see what happens Larry!! This is what happens Larry!!!

Love that flick.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.