velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I have a 2000 Diamondback Outlook (http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2000&Brand=Diamondback&Model=Outlook&Type=bike) and my friend recently gave me a free RST fork so I can have front suspensions on my bike. We ride weekly now and riding hardtail was okay, but now its doing my body damage.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to install a front suspension fork on my bike. I've tried googling and no one is answering my question exactly. I got the RST for free so I'd like to do the labor on it just cuz its fun for me. HELP!!
    • CommentAuthoruhler
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011

1: remove the stem
    2: pull the old fork from your frame (remember where all of the little rings and bearings and stuff in the headset goes or else you'll be screwed)
    3: have a bike shop remove the crown race from the old fork
    4: have the bike shop put the crown race on the new fork
    5: slide new fork through headset, into frame
    6: position headset/spacers/stem and tighten
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

depending on the travel of the fork it will change the geometry of the bike and most likley make it ride poorly
    • CommentAuthoruhler

diamondbacks ride poorly as it is, it's nothing to worry about.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Not all Diamondbacks are crap, just the newer post-2002-ish
    • CommentAuthoruhler

my friend has a very nice lugged diamondback road bike its really sick and came with a great spec.
    ran into problems, the old fork was threaded. BUT luckily, i found a spot that gonna put a specialized bike on layaway for me. let's just hope i can wait on this. haha thanks guys!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.